? Max 8/14 - AMPS 76, 48+2, 57+3, 58+4, 59+5.5, 90+6.5. Where does that leave us for dosing tonight?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rebecca & Max (GA), Aug 14, 2020.

1. Rebecca & Max (GA)

Rebecca & Max (GA) Member

Previous post
    *Editing this to state that our AMPS is at 12:30 PM (we have been off since a few stalls and me getting home late last week, which pushed us to 1:30 for AM/PM pre-shots!). I am working on getting him back to a more normal time, but with Zoom classes and homeschooling for my twins, and Board meetings for me, I need to figure out the best time. Having the PMPS be at 12:30 AM has worked out okay, but our shot times are actually opposite everyone else. I think a few admins thought I had let Max go all day long without testing when in reality I tested him every hour since he'd dropped.

I shot my lowest pre-shot read yet! Max's AMPS was 79, but still above the 50 "no shoot" for TR. I knew he'd probably drop, so I tested at +2 and sure enough, he was down to 48 (seems to be his favorite number!). He was totally fine, sleeping contently on the couch and a was bit miffed I woke him to test him. :p

I offered him the rest of the FF gravy lovers can (less than 1/2 but more than 1/4 of a can) and topped that with some Temptations cat treats. He happily gobbled that up and started cleaning himself before settling down to go back to sleep. Since he had no physical signs of a hypo, I ended up letting him go an hour before retesting (I also had an anxious teen who really needed to talk with me, so don't bash me too hard - I juggle a lot here). I find he rises slowly and gets really angry at all the extra ear sticks too. Since he did not appear to be in danger, I let him rest, then simply did an ear stick when I could. I will check him again in about 30 mins, to see if he keeps rising.

However, that leads me to the question- what do I do tonight? Technically, he earned a dose reduction, but he's at 0.25U. Do I wait to see what his PMPS is, and take that into consideration? Do I skip tonight and see where he's at in the morning (due to the earned reduction)? Do I attempt to measure 0.1U? Help! :nailbiting:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Reason for edit: Trying to clarify our unusual shot times so that admins don't think I'm not testing Max. And then typos.
    Butters & Lyla likes this.
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Rebecca & Max (GA) likes this.
  3. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

That's a good question. I would think so, but cannot see the SS (my phone is the issue) or offer specific advice. Nice to see the nice numbers though!

I can tell you that when Elie went OTJ, there was a time when we gave 0.1 units as we made our final journey to remission. Hope that's the case for Max!

4. Rebecca & Max (GA)

Thank you. That has sat in the back of my mind. Since this is my first sugar cat, I have no idea how heading into remission goes. Do they run fast and hard? Do they slide gracefully? Do they tease you and then go high again? ECID doesn't help any either! :confused:

5. Rebecca & Max (GA)

At the beginning of July Max was still pretty much in the 400-500 to HI range. His current numbers are nothing short of a miracle to me! It took me finally getting testing down (Max was/can still be a beast with ear sticks) and switching to TR to get to where we are today. Oh, and the people in this group too!! :D

Kyle & Simon (GA) likes this.
  6. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Yes :) (to probably all scenarios LOL) Elie went quickly. It was just a few months from DX to remission for him. I wish I still had his SS.

Kyle & Simon (GA) likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

Let’s see if anyone I tagged replies. If not I will seek out more.

8. tiffmaxee

9. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Give me a couple of minutes to review...

10. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Max looks like he's got a full depot for starters. I'd love to see what his numbers have been since he started rising...I understand there were some other things going on, but I would never have given Luci a break if she was in the 50's...too close to the 'edge' for my tastes.

Before we make a decision on the dose, can you get a test?

11. tiffmaxee

With all that hc he needs a reduction or maybe even skip tonight to drain the depot. Any more tests and how many hours since Amps?

12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I think I would take the full reduction and go down to 0.1 unit. He's had 4 doses at 0.25 and had 3 doses at 0.5 and has still managed to drop to 48.

13. tiffmaxee

Shoot tonight or skip? Hard to answer without tests.

14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Unfortunately, ECID is the answer. :p I would try 0.1 unit next. He was on 0.25 units for 4 cycles before dropping again.

I would shoot if he was above 50, you can monitor and have supplies. But it's still too early in the day to say where he'll be tonight. Last couple of times below 50 he was blue by PMPS. You can always get a +11 and post for advice.

15. Rebecca & Max (GA)

Sorry had to run out to pick up a child. His +5.5 read is 59, so he's gone up one point per hour. He's been sleeping and giving me the evil eye when I wake him to test (that's totally normal for him). He's ready for dinner now, so I will offer a new can of FF gravy and check again.

I used to panic completely when Max dipped into the 50s and would use "hypo" when I'd post, but I was once corrected that since he did not exhibit symptoms of hypoglycemia, it was a 'low number event'. The lowest he's gotten on a meter read was 41. I feel like I know him pretty well, and do watch him as closely as I can. He seems to like the lower numbers. I have also been told that some cats are just naturally lower than others. I have no idea what his "normal" BGL was before his DX. I have a had a good few sleepless nights with him, so I think I'm jsut getting comfortable (but not complacent) with his lower numbers.

16. Rebecca & Max (GA)

I have tested each hour since +2, and it's now +5.5. He hits nadir around +6. I did not offer a ton of HC food as I wasn't really sure how the Temptations treats would affect him (just got them a few days ago). I know the FF gravy usually helps for an hour or two, but it was suggested to also try some treats or dry food for a bit longer elevation. I now know the handful I gave him did not bring him up as much as I thought they would.

17. Rebecca & Max (GA)

I will definitely get a later test tonight (been trying to get a +9 or +10 lately), and see where he's at.

18. Rebecca & Max (GA)

I also wanted to clarify that I had not given Max a break and let him go all day without testing him (if that's what you may have thought)...unless you indeed meant a break by not testing every 10-15 min.

Due to various stalls, we have landed with AMPS at 12:30 PM and PMPS at 12:30 AM - totally backward from everyone else and technically wrong. Each time I work toward getting Max back to a normal time, life happens and we seem to end up back at 12:30. It just works for us. I know that if Max is low at pre-shot time, I need to start checking him around +1.5 or +2, which is what I did today. I have found that if I feed him MC food and check him every 10-15 min, he does not rise very quickly, and only gets mad and then really fights ear sticks at the next pre-shot. Because he was just a shade under 50, I opted for MC food and letting it get into his system a bit before testing again. Had he exhibited any other signs or symptoms (other than being Max) then I would have tested more frequently or given HC food. I have been told over and over again, 'know thy cat' and I have done my best to do just that. I may know how he reacts and when I just don't always know what to do with that information. :banghead:

19. tiffmaxee

I think the issue was you didn’t update your spreadsheet.
    So are you going to shoot .1? I feel for you shooting those hours. Not many around then. You can tag Bron if you need help. I will be asleep.

20. Rebecca & Max (GA)

Ugh! I update the SS on my phone after each test, but I think the posts came through in between them?
    I am not sure yet what I'll do. I assume he spiked up to 90 at +6.5 from the MC food/treats I fed at dinner (only gave a tsp) and from him hitting nadir. I am going to test in about 15 min at +9 to see if he's still climbing, then hopefully try for a +11 as well (I may have reached my allotted ear sticks though...only Max knows the secret number). I figure I will shoot at least a 0.1U or try my best to, rather then skip, but if he drops back down or is near his AMPS value, I will skip. If he's in the mid 100s, I may shoot a skinny 0.25U. Argh, so many decisions.

21. tiffmaxee

Everybody said not to shoot even a skinny -25. So try to shoot .1.

22. Rebecca & Max (GA)

Time to pull out my dad's old calipers, and learn how to use them. :D

I have the picture that shows approximately where 0.1U would fall, but I may need my bifocals (aka, my old lady glasses) AND the magnifying glass I use to see it on the syringe. ;)

And as usual, thank you for all the help! :kiss:

23. tiffmaxee

You can make a sample with colored water and an old syringe to use as a guide. Since you are reducing .1 will be whatever you shoot tonight. Good night.