May 6th - Caturday - Ginger's i131 Treatment

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dyana, May 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Previous Condo - January 28th 2017

The big day is approaching fast, and on Monday, I take Ginger to get her i131 treatment done.
    She knows it's coming and if I do anything out of the ordinary, she runs to the basement to hide. It's because a few days ago I was on the computer researching hyperthyroidism or something, and I looked down and Ginger was sitting on the floor in front of me and staring at me and I told her that she would be there for 3 days and 3 nights, and then she ran to the basement.

This morning, when I got up and didn't make coffee (fasting blood test for me for my annual physical) she must have thought that was odd behaviour and as I gathered my things to go to my doctor's appointment, she ran down to the basement.
    I also got cash for tolls as it is a long drive to Bedford Hills NY and I don't have EZPass, and I took my car to the shop to make sure it was ready for the 100+ mile trips each way.

When I returned home, I saw her run to the tree outside and climb it, so I grabbed my camera.
    She doesn't climb trees very often these days.
    upload_2017-5-6_14-6-57.png
    upload_2017-5-6_14-7-58.png
    upload_2017-5-6_14-8-30.png
    upload_2017-5-6_14-13-20.png
    upload_2017-5-6_14-14-59.png
    upload_2017-5-6_14-15-23.png
    She doesn't have many signs of hyperthyroidism as she is holding her weight, eats normally, and is just as active as normal. She does groom a lot (she keeps her coat pristine) and she does throw up a lot, but she has been doing those all her life. She does drink and pee more than normal, since J.D. passed 2 years ago. Her kidneys values are all great, so I am hoping the i131 does not reveal that she has kidney issues that were masked by the hyperT, and that it does not cause her to go hypoT because she is terrible to pill.
    Ginger will be 13 on May 19th.

Please send vines that all goes well for Ginger's treatment, that her tumor is benign, and that her remaining thyroid tissues and kidneys are fine when it's all said and done. And for me, because I am scared as heck of the long drives there and back, and for having Ginger staying at a hospital over 100 miles away from me. She has never stayed at a hospital before except for when she was spayed 12 years ago, and that was just overnight. I can bring things to put in her double condo, so my list is food, treats, catnip, cat grass, toys, a bed, and a blankie.

Meanwhile Jackson will keep me company from Monday through Thursday of this coming week.
    upload_2017-5-6_14-51-17.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Reason for edit: Add previous condo
  2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

HUGS thoughts and prayers...she's such a beautiful cat, I'm glad you posted all these new pictures.

You're a handsome guy too Jackson...give her lots of purrs....

More hugs,

Dyana likes this.
  3. Nicole Z

Nicole Z Well-Known Member

Sending you many well wishes and vines! She is absolutely stunning - cats being cats up in a tree! I love it! Made me smile seeing that! :bighug::cat::bighug:

Dyana likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Lovely photos of your lovely kitties. For what it's worth, my sister-in-law's kitty had that iodine 131 treatment for hyerT and it was a success. Apparently the success rate is very high.

Dyana likes this.
  5. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Thank you, Lyresa and Nicole :bighug:
    This hyperthyroid stuff is very new and overwhelming to me, just like diabetes was so long ago.

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Thank you, Kris. :bighug: I need all reassurance I can get.
    It is the only option I want for treatment and has been since I heard her T4 was a little elevated.

7. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

They are so smart: catching her will be the hardest part. Practice your acting skills. The treatment is pretty standard these days. Best wishes for Monday.

Dyana likes this.
  8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I know. Ginger reads my mind all the time.
    I could not catch Jackson when he needed a rabies shot and yearly check up earlier this year. He did finally get his appointment. I put his harness on and let him wear that around the house and then the morning of his appointment, I attached the leash. When he ran from me I found him by finding the leash sticking out from under the bed :cat:

9. Kris & Teasel

I should add that a good friend of mine had this done for her kitty too with great success. :)

Dyana likes this.
  10. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Sometimes I catch my cats by their tails. Once I was bitten. The leash as tail trick is brilliant.

LizzieInTexas and Dyana like this.
  11. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with the i131! My civvie Tanner had it about 2 or 3 years ago. He did become hypOt, but at least the tumor is gone.

Dyana likes this.
  12. PamJV

PamJV Member

Good wishes! Beautiful pictures ! I have a Calico cat that was diagnosed this year with Hyper T. I gave her the tapazole pills and ended up with her on a low dose of just half a pill a day. Her thyroid went down to 1.0. Now I wonder if she really does have Hyper T at all. But as the Thyroid went down her kidney values looked a little worse. Am wondering if I need to have her tested to see if she actually has a tumor.

She has gone up and down with how she looks and eats. It's hard to figure out. Now she's on just 1/4 pill a day and looks a little worse. Am waiting for another blood check soon.

Pam

Dyana likes this.
  13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sending you the best beautiful bouquet of vines I could find. :bighug: Ginger deserves the best. She is such a pretty girl. I hope she just sails though it and the traffic is easy. You are taking her to the best place.

Dyana likes this.
  14. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for you and Ginger. I love the pictures. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Dyana likes this.
  15. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Loads of vines and prayers for success.

Dyana likes this.
  16. Squeakycats

Squeakycats Member

What a beauty she is! Lots of vines coming your way!

Dyana likes this.
  17. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Dyana, We are sending the very best and most beautiful vines for a successful i131 for Ginger. Dr. Peterson is fantastic. I wish that Stu had been able to have the i131. But there were delays (by his vet) and by the time he got to Bedford Hills he was too sick and too weak. Anyway, I was most impressed with Dr. Peterson and with the facility there. Do you know that you can "watch" Ginger in her accommodations on your computer? Please try not to worry. Ginger will be in the best possible hands.
    Those are wonderful pictures of your girl (and of Jackson).

Scritches to the kitties and lots of :bighug::bighug::bighug:s for you,

Dyana likes this.
  18. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm sorry about Stu not being able to get the treatment done. :(
    I know about the cameras and Ginger is getting a double condo so she will have two cameras to watch her on.
    I asked about why they don't have like a skype thingy so the cat can see us too, and was told they thought about it and decided it would upset the cats.
    Thanks for the vines. :bighug: One more day of Ginger being home :(

19. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

adding more vines for Ginger. She knows you well enough to know you are worried .... she senses it .... They are just so in tune with us.
    hope you can make a shirt smell really strong of you so she'll have that for comfort.
    Big HUG

Dyana likes this.
  20. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

Many vines and prayers for a successful treatment for your gorgeous girl, Ginger. :bighug: to you both.

Dyana likes this.
  21. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

As the day begins to turn into night, I am starting to get more upset/stressed/teary eyed. I could use a hug.
    I have most of her things packed. I topped off the gas in the car. My GPS is ready to go. I think me and Ginger will go visit my elderly neighbor where I can have a beer.

I may leave earlier than I had planned. And get into more of that commute traffic going towards The City, just so I can maybe get to the clinic earlier and spend some more time with her. She acts like nothing is going on, and just woke up from a nap and is taking a bath.

I have tears going down my face because I'm a blithering idiot.

22. Squeaky and KT (GA)

We're riding on your shoulder Dyana...ELLA! Leave her hair alone! ....oops sorry Dyana - HUGS and hugs...

Dyana likes this.
  23. Kris & Teasel

Best of luck tomorrow!

Dyana likes this.
  24. Squeakycats

Squeakycats Member

:bighug: You're not blithering or idiotic! It's just a scary situation, and it's so hard to be separated from your sweet kitty! But it sounds like she is in the best possible hands, and you have planned so carefully. Hopefully she'll have excellent results and be back to taking her usual baths and celebrating her birthday! :bighug:

Dyana likes this.
  25. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Here's a BIG HUG for your trip tomorrow. :bighug::bighug: Ginger will do just fine. Have a safe trip and remember that all your friends are here for support. Ginger, your mamabean is going to be keeping close tabs on you, so do your very best, brave girl!

Yo Ginger, I picked you a beautiful bouquet of vines for your i131.
    Your friend,
    Rusty

Dyana likes this.
  26. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll try to remember that. It made me smile and laugh.
    Her and Jackson were just kissing (licking each other's face).
    Thank you, everyone :bighug: and thanks for the bouquet of vines, Rusty :cat:.

I told my neighbor that I might be back for another beer tomorrow, but then I remembered that I get to watch Ginger on the camera, and I told her I may want to do that instead.

I'll report back tomorrow. Maybe with a snapshot from her live video.

27. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

Sending hugs.....
    I know just how you feel..... I was the same with Shadow.
    I'm trying so hard not to become that way again.....

Dyana likes this.
  28. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Thanks. You are what you are Rhiannon. A very loving person :bighug:

29. carfurby (GA)

30. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

upload_2017-5-7_22-21-54.png Lots and lots of vines being sent for a great outcome! Those photos are just fabulous!!!

Dyana likes this.
  31. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Ginger slept with me all night long. She hasn't been doing that lately. I was told not to let her sleep on my head or snuggled next to me. Hopefully, sleeping at arms length from me is okay. She does like for me to stretch out my arm towards her and she uses my hand as her pillow, and purrs.

When I got up, Ginger was in the litter box, and upon getting out made one of her painful meows (which she does before she throws up) and proceeded to release a hairball. 1st breakfast has been eaten.

I'm supposed to bring something that smells like me, but couldn't think of any of my clothes to be destroyed because of the radiation, so I slept on her crate pad (bed) and blankie last night to get my scent on them.

Ginger is acting like it's a normal morning. She just curled up in front of me to purr, get scritches, and watch me type.
    Here's where she will be staying:

32. carfurby (GA)

Sending more prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Dyana likes this.
  33. Bobbie And Bubba

Can't even imagine what that would cost!

Dyana likes this.
  34. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Prayers for you and Ginger. Prayers for a safe, uneventful drive and arrive safely with plenty of time. Prayers for Ginger for that the drive isn't too stressful and prayers the treatment is easy and successful :bighug:

Take the towel you use to dry off after a shower. It will smell like you and it is only a towel. :)

Will be following progress and keeping you both in my prayers.

Love the pictures!

Dyana likes this.
  35. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending vines for you and Ginger, that facility looks top notch. They will take great care of her I'm sure. Safe travels to Bedford Hills.

Dyana likes this.
  36. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Thank you. I will take my towel. Although it is damp now.
    @Bobbie And Bubba it does cost a lot, but it is the best place, maybe in the world, for treating hyperthyroid in cats, and it is available to me within driving distance. And he includes the cost of blood work at 1, 3, 6, and 12 months. And it was mentioned that maybe she could be put into a research study where he will pay for thyroid blood work for life.
    It's just that she doesn't act sick at all. I hope she comes home just fine and dandy and as sweet and precious as always.
    Prayers.

37. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Ginger is in her carrier and Rescue Remedy has been given. Her bag is packed, and we're about ready to head out the door. I'll report back later this afternoon when I return home.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  38. Bobbie And Bubba

Good Luck Dyana!

Dyana likes this.
  39. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Lots of vines for you Ginger! I LOVE your photos!

Dyana likes this.
  40. Squeakycats

Squeakycats Member

I love that they have gerbils for the kitties to watch! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Dyana likes this.
  41. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Lotsa vines and hugs from us. Thinking of you, Ginger and Jackson.
    Liz

Dyana likes this.
  42. LizzieInTexas

How did the drive/drop off go? I am not familiar with this treatment, so not sure what they are doing. Hope you can give us an update.

Why? Ever since I read this it has been a burning question in my mind.

Keeping you in my prayers. :bighug:

43. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

It's because of the radiation. After the procedure one has to be very careful for a period of time.

Dyana, we hope all is going well and look forward to your update.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Dyana likes this.
  44. Jadi & Tiffany

Jadi & Tiffany Member

Prayers for Ginger!

Dyana likes this.
  45. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. I thought I copied and pasted this from yesterday (so it's a little old, and long):

I'm home.

It took about 2.25 hours to get there and a little less to get home. It was a beautiful day for a drive.

Ginger quietly meowed on the way there.

They took her away from me pretty much as soon as I walked in the door. They said she was to get more blood work done and the dye injection for them to do the scintigraphy. And then wait an hour for that.

Several other cat parents came in with their cats, so we passed the time talking. A couple was referred there by Dr. Lisa Pierson.

A really nice lady went into the exam room first and when she came out it didn't sound good. I guess her cat had quite large tumors and so he would need a higher dose, and that probably abate all thyroid tissue.

I kept repeating "Ginger is fine, her tumor is benign" over and over.

I was called into an exam room next, and got to meet the famous doctor, and Ginger was sitting on an exam table naked (no harness or collar). She was growling. I told them she is very expressive. So much for the friendly and confident cat.
    Right away they asked about the lump on her back and I said it has been tested and is filled with clear water like fluid and sometimes flattens out and then comes back, and that my vet said there is nothing to worry about just let it be.

Then the doctor showed a picture of the scintigraphy from a normal cat and one from a hyperthyroid cat (pictures I've seen before while "researching"). Then he showed me Ginger's scan and it is not too big of a bright spot one side, so I asked if it was benign and he said it was. I asked about what was next and he said they will give her the radioiodine this afternoon and check her with a geiger counter like instrument tomorrow to see if she needs a "pinch" or so more.

Then the nurse wrapped the growling Ginger in a towel, and I followed them back to see Ginger's condo. Ginger did not want to go in the condo and fought her and then started screaming really loud. We kind of got her in and then she jumped out somehow and ran down the hall. The technician caught her and I tried to comfort her, but she was just so upset.

I figured they probably had lower condos underneath the one they show in the video above, and they do. I'm glad Ginger got one of the top second floor condos as it must be harder to watch the gerbils from below, and if she tries to escape again, it's probably easier to manage her from above.

I offered to give Ginger more rescue remedy (she got some before we left home), and when I went back to the condo area, she had calmed down some, but her breathing was still rapid. I was able to open her condo door without her escaping and to hold her close to my chest and hug her, and with tears in my eyes, she let me (she does not normally like to be held at all). I'm know she could hear my heart beating and tell how upset I was. I kissed her on top of her head and told her it would be 3 days and 3 darks. They had a towel in front of her cage, and the word "jumper" hand written on her name plate, already.

She has to stay in the one side of the condo for contamination reasons that I don't understand even though I tried to question it, until after she gets her i131, then they will open up the barrier between the two and she will then have her double condo.

I took my towel from my shower this morning, and when I saw the condo, I asked where it was and they said it was in the wash. It was damp, but still, I hope it was only in the dryer (they told me they might throw it in the dryer), the object was to have my scent on it. I asked about the pink crate pad I had brought because it wasn't in her condo either, and one of the girls went back to another room and opened her hard carrier and started to pull out the pad and said "oh, you want to keep this don't you?" It is a nice pad for traveling. So, I thought with the toys, and towel, and blankie that I had brought that those might be enough. But I noticed the blankie is in the locked up side of the condo in this little 1 foot square "hidey hole" that I don't know if Ginger can fit into, and the toy I brought for her is also in the locked up side.
    I told the couple that was there waiting their turn, that I hadn't sat down and told Ginger about what was going on and that she might think I sold her to a laboratory to do experiments on her. They smiled and said they told their cat that she was going on a vacation. I should have told Ginger something.

I wish I had gone back to see her again, before I left, but I didn't. I was a little teary eyed as I left and for the first part of the drive. It was down hill on the way home and people were driving 80 miles an hour. I was thinking while driving home that I could use a massage.

I can see now from the camera that she has calmed down and her breathing is more relaxed. She still has the towel attached to the front of her cage, so can't see the gerbils or the bird/mouse video.

I forgot to say if they give her Mirtazapine, to give her just a little, but they will call me this evening, and I can mention it then.

I don't know if Jackson even knows Ginger's not here yet. He's not the brightest bulb on the tree. I think I will take him out for a walk.

Ginger has not eaten yet. I hope she does soon.
    Right now she is grooming herself and looking all right.

Here's her web cam from condo 2
    Here's her web cam from condo 1

She has a double condo and keeps going back and forth between the two. There is a little area in between where her litter box is. If you click on the images they move and you can click to see she has a shelf in the back of each condo and in front of her condo you can see the gerbils and cat video.

One of the things I liked about the doctor was he said "how old is she?" and I said she'll be 13 on the 19th, and he said "Oh, she's young then, she'll be fine.".

Today's report is that she ate some food, so they did not have to give her mirtazapine. And they do a geiger counter thing to see how radioactive they are at their thyroid area and if they are low then they may give them a "pinch" more radioactive iodine, and Ginger's was fine, so she did not have to have anymore.

I took these screenshots from the web cam tonight:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I am so tired. Yesterday was exhausting physically because of the long drive, and emotionally. Top that with almost 12 hours of work today, and I must go to bed.

46. carfurby (GA)

Sending more prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Dyana likes this.
  47. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

She is so beautiful, Dyana. I'm glad you can see her. Get some rest and when you wake up you'll be that much closer to having her home with you and Jackson. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Dyana likes this.
  48. Nicole Z

Sending you more prayers as well!

Dyana likes this.
  49. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Ginger got her photo on the Doctor's face book page. https://www.facebook.com/pg/Hypurrcat/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1667510829943210 She was mad and confused and growling at the time.
    One more day, Ginger. Tomorrow you get to come home. Eat your food.
    I don't know if this will work, but when I pick her up, I think once I have her and her carrier seat belted into the back seat of the car, I will sit beside her and let her out of the carrier and just sit there for a while and just talk to her (before the long drive home). I was thinking that after a few minutes, I could bring out a sandwich and start to eat. And then, after a couple more minutes, of opening a can of cat food and dishing some onto a plate for her and hoping she will eat some of it.

50. LizzieInTexas

My vet will put me in a room alone with Gizmo (if it is available). Be careful with feeding before getting on the road. Gizmo tends to get car sick if he has food in his tummy. Maybe find a half way point and try it there and then take a 45-60 min break and relax with her after she has eaten.

Now to check out the webcams :)

So glad she is doing good. :bighug:

Dyana likes this.
  51. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I will only give her a spoonful. She is pretty used to car rides. She ate two breakfasts before we left on Monday.
    Send eating vines still. I have yet to see her eating on the web cam, but they told me she is eating, and so she did not need any Mirtazapine.

52. Bronx's dad (GA)

Dyana likes this.
  53. Kris & Teasel

What a great set up for the I-131 treatment. Ginger is a very pretty girl! She'll forgive you - in fact, she'll forget all about it after she's back home. :):bighug:

54. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Aaaaw Dyana, she's such a beauty, and she is being watched from right around the world.

Hope she's enjoying the Jerbils and Bird TV

some of these for you as I know you are missing her
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Dyana likes this.
  55. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

It won't be long now and you'll have her home.

Sending loads of appy and healing vines and lots of :bighug:s.

Dyana likes this.
  56. Nancy & Cootie (GA)

Nancy & Cootie (GA) Member

Dyana, I just watched Ginger eat! She's such a beautiful girl! But now I'd better get back to work lol

Dyana and LizzieInTexas like this.
  57. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Hi Dyana,
    Thanks so much for posting this great account. I'm sure that it will help anyone who decides to have the i131 procedure for their kitty. Ginger is a good instructor! Just think: tomorrow she'll be home. How long do you have to observe the radiation instructions?
    We are very glad that Ginger's tumor is small and are keeping paws and fingers crossed that the whole procedure and post-procedure will produce good results.
    Hugs and scritches,

Tanya and Ducia and Dyana like this.
  58. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I am. So much. I can't wait to see her tomorrow. Although, I do feel like I've been seeing her for the 3 long days.
    I know. In just 12 hours, I'll be on the road again to pick her up :) Yay!!!!!!

You saw her eat!? I have not seen her eat, yet. I hope she eats when she gets home.

I believe they said little close cuddles to 20 minutes per day. So I can do ten 2 minute snuggles, or five 4 minute snuggles, or four 5 minute snuggles. Truefully, when she is loving and purring in front of my lap (she never gets on my lap) and purring away, it will be hard to get up or get her off because I love her so much. She has to be on a leash when outside for 2 weeks because she could hurt the wildlife. I have the choice between using flushable litter and flushing it for 2 weeks (which I care about the environment too much to do) or double bagging it for 2 weeks and then storing it in my basement for 3 months (90 days) until the radioactive whatever decays away, then I can toss it in the trash.
    The Animal Endocrine Clinic (Hypurrcat) will pay for her 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and 12 months blood work to check her thyroid panel and kidney function. Crossed Fingers. I told the famous doctor that I've had my fingers crossed to 2 months and he said to keep them crossed.
    I think she will be okay. Her kidney values have always been great.

I bought her a new "The Ultimate" 32 inch high scratch post from Chewy.com for her Birthday on the 19th, and it came today. She will like that.

Here she is waiting for tomorrow: Her waiting on her side, and me waiting here on my side.
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

59. LizzieInTexas

She was just eating! I love the cam. I can watch them all day long. There is one that is an underwater ROV that explores the sea floor. I put it on the TV and can waste hours. :rolleyes:

60. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I missed it again. Thanks for letting me know you saw her eating :bighug:

I watch a lot of kittens cams ;)

61. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

great description.....
    a whole range of emotions having to leave.... remember it all too well.....

just think she will be so happy to see you....
    Continued vines and hugs...

Dyana likes this.
  62. carfurby (GA)

Sending safe travel prayers. I know Ginger will be just as excited to see you as you are to see her. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Dyana likes this.
  63. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

A snap shot of just now: She's waiting for me to walk through the door ;) or for breakfast :rolleyes:

upload_2017-5-11_7-12-28.png
    Ginger is very active this morning. These are live.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Walking out the door in 1 hour or so.

I keep saying to Jackson, look here's Ginger and showing him the screen, but he just doesn't "get it".
    I'm afraid Jackson will run up to her all happy when she gets home and she will greet him with a hiss.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
  64. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Safe Journey Dyana, just checked in on Ginger, she looks alert and appears to be waiting for you. I've told her momma is on her way.

Dyana likes this.
  65. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Prayers for a safe trip! I'm so glad Ginger is doing well and is on her way home. Thanks for sharing the "Ginger-cam" with us! She is such a beautiful girl. (((Hugs))) for you and scritches for Ginger and Jackson. :bighug::cat::bighug::cat::bighug:

Dyana likes this.
  66. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Yay! You get to see Ginger soon! I apologize for not thinking last night when you mentioned you had a long drive in the morning... I forgot you were the one with the i131 cat! Ignore the instructions about handling your kitty. That's just them covering their behinds. Just be sure to wash your hands after petting her. Don't let her sleep on your neck or head. Otherwise, everything is normal. I did the used litter in old kitty litter or Menards pails for 2 weeks and then threw away after 3 months. I hope the i131 worked for Ginger and she doesn't go hypo, like my civvie Tanner. I would do it again, though, because the tumor is gone!! :bighug:

67. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

We're Home! :)

On the way to New York State on Monday, I stopped at the WaWa to get coffee a few miles from my house and took that bit of time to do the last bit of organizing myself, take my jacket off, go over the printed directions one last time, and begin our journey. This morning the WaWa was "Closed For Remodeling"! I could not find another WaWa or 7-11 or Duncan Donuts or anything before I got on the big highway.
    Luckily, I arrived at the clinic at 10:36 am and our appointment was at 11:00 am. I asked to go in and see Ginger first, and then walked up the hill to get an awful breakfast sandwich and a cup of coffee. I talked to Carol for a bit while I ate, and we could her Ginger in the back meowing to our conversation. Then she brought Ginger out to me, and while Ginger sat on the couch next to me, we talked some more. About cats mostly, of course. Soon 3 other sets of cat parents arrived and got their cats and we all talked a bit and wished each other good luck, and then they all left. Eventually, I felt rested enough to begin the drive home and it was time to go. I seat belted Ginger into the back seat. I got in and sat down next to her carrier, and gave her some treats and she happily ate them.

As we began to drive down the road, a red cardinal flew slowly across the road just above and in front of my car. I had been asking J.D. to be with Ginger, and to be next to her at night, and to encourage her to eat. I took the cardinal flying slowly in front of us as a sign that J.D. was done and returning to wherever he goes. Big Tears.

Ginger Meowed softly a little on the way home, but didn't complain too much. No screaming.

When we walked in the door, she did not hiss at Jackson, and she went right to her food bowl and she ate a little fresh food that I put out. Jackson, then ate what she left in her bowl (but I was told that them eating out of the same bowl is okay even though Ginger is radioactive). Jackson was sniffing Ginger and I was afraid he was going to lick her, and I'm sure that is okay too. She went over to sniff the unopened Chewy's box that has her Birthday treats and Yeoww catnip cigars in it, then went into her other car carrier (you would think she's had enough of carriers), and is now walking around the house exploring her domain.

Here are some pictures I took of Carol the office manager with Ginger before we left.
    upload_2017-5-11_15-11-48.png
    upload_2017-5-11_15-30-5.png
    I can't say enough good things about Carol. I've been calling her often since last August, with my repeated questions and concerns, and she is always there to answer the phone. She called me Tuesday morning to give a report and said she would call me again that night and did around 6:00pm but I was busy at work and asked if I could call her back and she said she would be there until 7ish. I called her when I got home about 6:50pm to find out how many grams Ginger had eaten, and whether she had pooed or peed, and got the whole report. And, I was watching the web cam, that evening and there Carol was still there giving Ginger lots of pets and scritches where she likes it most. She told me that last March when I rescheduled my appointment because of the huge snow storm we got, that she spent the night there for 3 days. Anyway, her reassurances through this whole process, her dedication to the cats in her care, and her love and loyalty of her boss, just speaks volumes. One cat parent brought her a present. I was thinking on the drive there how I will miss her and would like to send her something as well. I gave her a big hug before walking out the door.

Ginger is now in her favorite chair taking a bath, and all is well.

68. carfurby (GA)

I'm so glad Ginger is home. Carol sounds like a wonderful person. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Dyana likes this.
  69. Nicole Z

I'm happy to hear that your Ginger is home!

Dyana likes this.
  70. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Yay! I know all three of you are much happier now. :)

Carol does sound like a wonderful person a little note and some flowers would probably make her day.

Dyana likes this.
  71. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Wonderful report!!!

Dyana likes this.
  72. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so glad Ginger is home safe and sound. A great relief to you I am sure.
    She is a real beauty!

Dyana likes this.
  73. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Happy news! I am so glad Ginger is back home and making her self at home again. :bighug: Too bad we couldn't clone Carol, she sounds like a keeper. Given that pet parents have to leave there kitties there, she has the perfect personality for the job.

Dyana likes this.
  74. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing the story. Ginger is beautiful.

Dyana likes this.
  75. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Welcome home, Ginger! You, too, Dyana!! Carol is a wonderful woman. She helped me a lot in making the preparations for Stu. How I wish he had been well and strong enough to have the i131.

Now, have a fine evening with your kitties. Thank you again for sharing Ginger's adventure with us.

Hugs and scritches,

Dyana likes this.
  76. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Thank you :bighug: to you all, for giving me this place to share. Without you, I would be so alone. This is The Best place. I was bragging about how wonderful the FDMB board is to Carol today when we were talking. I had asked if Dr. Peterson was still dealing with diabetic cats and she said no, not anymore. He is focusing only on hyperthyroidism in felines (no more dogs, just cats). She said he is obsessed and works constantly round the clock if not doing the procedures, he's doing research or speeches and he's a professor at Cornell?, and that he is a genius and such and such.

Carol said it is the perfect job for her "because it is a happy job". Even though the cats are older and some are somewhat sickly with CKD and such, there is no anesthesia or surgery, it is a cure, and their hyperthyroidism is fixed. I would assume dealing with the pet parents may not be that easy as being willing to afford the treatment means the cats are very special to those pet parents.

I think Ginger ate a lot of dry food while there. They had us write out what our cats eat and when (and all the med. doses and times if they get any). I wrote that Ginger gets two breakfasts of 1/2 can each of FF every morning and two dinners of 1/2 can each of FF every evening, and that when I am home I will give her 1/8th cup of Fancy Feast dry (even though in reality it's more like 1 tablespoon) for lunch, and that she gets bedtime treats of about 20? temptations (yes I spoil them). So, for dinner tonight, Ginger ate about half of her 1/2 can of FF and I sprinkled some dry on top and she ate the rest. She still seems a bit out of it, and slower, but I'm sure I would feel the same way if I was just released from the same scary 3 day ordeal.

I have been feeding Ginger in small meals and she has been eating them. I was told that she weighed 10 pounds 4 ounces this morning, and she has been 11 pounds some ounces for the past two years. She was 11.3 at her vet visit on 04/08 and the same at her vet visit in January and I have a digital infant scale and weigh her all the time, and she's always 11 something. So, her losing almost a pound had/has me concerned. Carol said, she will gain it back, and with eyes raised said I may have to watch her weight that she doesn't gain too much.

After me going to visit my neighbor to have a beer, and a brief outing outside for the cats, first dinner only has been et, but Ginger is sleeping soundly in her favorite chair and Jackson has gone sleep on my bed. All is quiet and peaceful in my house.

Thank you all again from the bottom of my heart for being here with me. You were with me. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

77. Squeakycats

Squeakycats Member

Yay--she's home!!!!!!!!! What great news!

Dyana likes this.
  78. Bronx's dad (GA)

Welcome home Ginger!!!

Dyana likes this.
  79. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry that you were not able to get the treatment for Stu. ((((((Big Hugs))))))). We all know you tried your hardest, and Stu knows too. :bighug:

80. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Yay!!! Great news! See how fast the week went by? This is a wonderful thing you've done for your beautiful girl. Hyperthyroidism is one of those things that "can" be cured.

I hope she will settle back in soon and regain her weight.

Dyana likes this.
  81. Squeaky and KT (GA)

WOOT WOOT!!! Home sweet Home!!!

YARD DANCE Dyana!

Dyana likes this.
  82. LizzieInTexas

How is Ginger this morning? Glad she is home. I know how empty and lonely the house can feel when a member is missing! :bighug:

83. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

She is acting okay. Still a little slower. She came to visit me in bed last night and put her head on my hand (kind of gripping my hand with her front paws) and purred for the longest time, until I went to sleep.
    She is still not eating full meals, but she is eating frequently, so that's good. I just weighed her and got 10 pounds 9.5 ounces. She's actually good at that weight. I just hope she keeps eating throughout the day.
    Off to clean the litter box and take the waste down to the basement.

84. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

So glad she's home and it sounds like she is too. I always loved when they put their face anywhere on you and just purr.

Dyana likes this.
  85. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

So glad Ginger is home safe and sound, you must be so relieved to have her back. Many :bighug: to you both

Dyana likes this.
  86. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I got home from work very very late and wondered if I had left enough food out. Ginger is finishing her first dinner now. And she munched on the cat grass that just sprouted that I had wanted to send with her.
    I got her reports today via email.
    One day, I'll fill in the Labs tab I made for her on my spreadsheet.
    It says she was 10.7 pounds when admitted and 10.4 when released. I weighed her this morning, and she was 10 pounds 9.5 ounces.

Amongst a few other "No significant findings" were
    General Appearance: Bright, alert, active
    Body Condition Score: 5 of 9
    Muscle Condition Score: Mild loss of muscle mass (2 of 3)
    Thyroid: Moderate, left-sided thyroid nodule
    Heart Rate: 180 bpm
    Oro-Nasal: Severe dental tartar (so I guess a dental is next)

Glucose: 97 (72 - 175)
    Creatinine: 1.0 (0.9 - 2.5)
    BUN: 27 (16 - 37)
    SDMA: 9 (0 - 14)

T4: 8.3 (0.8 - 4.7)
    FT4: 72.1 (9.0 - 33.5)
    T3: 102 (52 - 182)
    TSH: <0.01 (0.05 - 0.42)

Dose of radioiodine: 1.8

She is acting pretty normal. First dinner is finished now, and she has gotten some lovings, and is now in her chair taking a bath.

I'm just glad I caught this and treated this early. At first Carol said she got the lowest dose, then later she corrected herself and said that Lux another cat that was there got 1.45 and she was actually the lowest dose of radioiodine because she has renal disease. There was another cat there that had been getting the Methimazole pills for years?, and his tumor had become bigger over the years and some tumor was showing in his chest area (I saw his scintigraphy). That parent was pretty upset after the talk with the doctor because he would need a large dose and would probably go hypoT? because they were saying they would abate? the thyroid tissue.

Anyway, I'm so tired. It's been a long week.

Anne & Zener GA likes this.
  87. Jadi & Tiffany

Jadi & Tiffany Member

So happy for Ginger!!! She has a blessed life.

Dyana likes this.
  88. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Dyana and Wendy&Neko like this.
  89. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Yes, that's the Dr. Peterson that Ginger went to for her treatment. Nothing but The Best for her, since he is within driving distance. I wanted to post that article but thought this condo was already too long.

Update: Ginger is totally back to normal. Eating all her food, and some of Jackson's if he doesn't eat his fast enough. She is still on a harness and leash and can't just run outdoors, but mostly she just likes to take a short walk and eat some grass. I don't think I've seen her throw up once since she's been home (1 week this evening).

Tomorrow, is Ginger's Birthday. And, I have a 3 day weekend to help her celebrate it :)

90. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

So, I went and kind of jinxed myself now. Ginger ate her first dinner, and we went for a walk. I had taken out a new clean plastic container and filled it with fresh water for the birds and squirrels and what not. I allow Ginger to drink the water when it's fresh, and she loves it, and drank and drank and drank. Then when we were walking down the sidewalk to watch the boys play ball on the big lawn, she started sounding and acting like she was going to throw up. Nothing came out, but it was kind of like a spasm that she had, and she kept retching? really fast. I have felt something similar myself before when it's like I get an air bubble in my esophogus and the liquid can't get around it to go down and it's kind of scary. Luckily it doesn't happen often. I don't know if that's what Ginger experienced, but it looked similar. It lasted about a long 45 seconds to 1 minute and now she's fine. We went out and sat on the lawn to watch the ball game and Ginger curled in next to me. I hope she doesn't do it again. She was meowing a little funny this evening, it sounded kind of watery. She has had a squeak in her meow since her procedure. Hoping it goes back to normal soon. Wish us luck. Again, tomorrow is her Birthday and I want her to be fine and enjoy it.

91. carfurby (GA)

I hope it was just a fluke with the retching and she is better tomorrow for her birthday. Happy Early Birthday to Ginger! Sending prayers.

Dyana likes this.
  92. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

I, too, hope it was one of those unexplainable "happenings". Enjoy your birthday tomorrow, Ginger. Chef Rusty says he will bake you his special cimmamum birthday cake with catmint icing.

p.s. What an interesting article on Dr Peterson and hyperT.

Dyana likes this.
  93. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Oh, Ginger's favorite cake! :smuggrin: Ginger says "Tank You Rusty!" :cat:

Thank you, Rusty, you are so very thoughtful. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

She is acting fine now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.