May need your help again for Boomer

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Judy and Boomer, Aug 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Wow it's been ages since I've posted here! Boomer has been OTJ for 13 months. His BG levels have been good. We went away for 10 days and had a cat sitter come in twice a day to care for Boomer and his brother Allen. Just before we left Boomer started to get tired of his food (he's been on the same 4 ff types since being diagnosed diabetic in Feb 2014) so I had a fifth type here ready for the cat sitter to mix into his regular food should he refuse to eat. She did have issues with him eating so I gave her some ff options which she tried.

When we got home yesterday I tested him because he didn't look right (I don't normally test right away after vacation figuring that his levels will be up just because we were away) and his BG was 263 (14.6).
    And I weighed him and he had dropped .4 pounds from 10 days before.

And I'm trying hard not to panic and to get him eating his original 4 foods again. A few weeks :cat:ago he went off his foods and the different foods I gave him did cause a slight increase in his BG so I would really like him back on those original 4.

I didn't test him today; I decided to give it a couple of days hoping it's caused by stress and will come down now that we're home.

Not sure how long I should give it before I call the vet and take him in.....maybe its a UTI.

I've updated the spreadsheets with his numbers for the last few months and his weight.

Please send good vibes this way.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

{{hugs}} Welcome back (unfortunately). We'll all think good thoughts for you.

3. Judy and Boomer

Will be testing again in about 45 minutes. He's looking better than he did when we first returned from vacation two days ago. And he's starting to act more normal. So fingers crossed that his BG has come down from the 263.

4. Judy and Boomer

Well he tested at 313. Made a dr appt for him for later this afternoon. Would he really go out of remission that quickly?

5. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Anything is possible. Alex went out out of remission twice... pretty quickly each time.

You mentioned Boomer being "off" his usual food before you left on vacation. It's *possible* something may have been brewing. Taking him in to see the vet for a once over is a good idea. The first time Alex fell out of remission was due to a simple case of gingivitis. A dental and 8 weeks on insulin was all it took to get her back into remission. Hope it's that simple for Boomer!

Good luck!

6. Jamye and Fred

Jamye and Fred Member

Hope he gets back on track!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.