Maybe hypo, maybe DKA??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by carolinemyers, Apr 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carolinemyers

carolinemyers New Member

My baby James was acting super lethargic this morning. I wasn't home but my mom found him around 8 AM. They don't know how to test for BG so I told them to rub honey on his gums which perked him up a little bit. Then I told them to give him some of the gravy wet food and he ate a bit, perking him up even more. I tested when I got home around 9:45 AM and his BG was 284. I gave him his 2U of Lantus and wet food, which he ate a little bit of. Oh, last night he threw up the wet food he got with his insulin shot. He's only been diagnosed a month and I just started testing his BG two days ago. When I called the vet they said if he's still lethargic later in the day I should take him to the emergency vet (which I would like to avoid for $$ reasons).

Can anyone tell me what's going on? I feel so lost and worried.

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

First, I would test for ketones, to rule them out. You don't want DKA. Do you have urine ketone test strips or a blood ketone meter?

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  3. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I totally understand feeling lost and scared at the beginning. I know that the more experienced folks will respond soon. Do you have ketone test strips you can dip in his urine? You can get them at Walmart and are easy to use. That way you at least know if he has ketones. For longer term, I suggest a blood ketone meter (works similar to your regular meter). I have the Nova Max. But for now, if he is eating OK and drinking, those are good signs and you should definitely test him more often today just in case there is something going on that you can catch/monitor . But wait for the experienced folks for better advice.

big hugs...

4. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Are you giving insulin 12 hours apart?

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If you have trouble catching him in the litterbox, you could also get a ketone blood meter which works the same as a regular bg meter. How long before the 284 did he get honey? I'd test him again 2 -3 hours after the shot and see what it is.

6. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Everything okay, Caroline?

Is your mother willing to test when you are not home? There are some videos here that might help her.

Also, JanetNJ in the post directly above this one made a good video.

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

How are things now with James? Is he still lethargic?
    Have you managed to test the urine for ketones?
    I would strongly encourage you to get some tests in during the PM cycle as well as the am cycles.
    Cats often drop lower at night and less you are testing you won’t know.
    Get into the habit of getting a before bed test done every night. If that test is lower than the preshot number, that is a red flag!.... set the alarm and get up a couple of hours later to test again to see if the BG has dropped.

if James is OK now could you take down the 911 please? Thanks!

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I removed the 911.

9. carolinemyers

carolinemyers New Member

Sorry I didn't realize I was supposed to remove it, won't happen again!!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.