Meatball 02/19

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Molly, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Molly

Molly Member

Well It has been an interesting day, maybe some of you have seen my posts in the Health forum...

AMPS 387 1.75u
    This am, Meatball had no appetite and would not eat the wet food. I got him to eat a bit of canned tuna, then gave him insulin. He then vomited up everything he'd just eaten, and some food that was left in his stomach from last night.

I didn't know what to do, post here then went to work. I saw the posts while I was away, suggesting that I take him to the vet. I came home early in the afternoon, tried to get him to eat, and he did eat 1/2 a can of food, but not with his usual excitement. +6 360

(Just posted the below in Health as well, trying to get some feedback!)
    I was just finally able to check ketones, they are medium... and we are now going to the vet.

I have read about Ketoacidosis, and I understand the technicalities of why it happens and what it is, but what I don't understand is how you know when it is bad? what the treatment entails? what this means as far as his overall diabetes treatment? Do I need to do something differently?

So confused about why this is happening NOW when his number have certainly been higher than they are now...

Anyway, off to the vet. :(

2. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Molly,
    I've been watching for your post on Meatball. I have no experience with ketones, but I just recently saw a post by Gia & Quirk about Judy & Jake that said it can be related to infection, not enough insulin or not enough food. She said it takes 2 of the 3 things to have DKA. Usually they give IV fluids and sometimes a feeding tube depending on the severity. I'm so glad you are getting him to the vet. Please keep us updated.

My prayers are with you and Meatball,
    Ele

3. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

So sorry to hear about Meatball. Hopefully since you recognized it and got him in for treatment so soon, the vet will be able to get him better quickly.

I went through it with Buddha, but I waited until Buddha was very, very sick until we went to the vet. (His first missed meal was a Saturday morning ...)

Keep us posted.

4. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

That's a bummer. Hopefully he will be better soon.

5. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Awww, what a pain :( I hope the vet trip went well and he is starting to feel better now. My understanding of ketones is that they are caused by a lack of insulin rather than high #s per se, although I'll admit that doesn't really help me understand it very well. :)

The good news is that you caught it quickly and are able to get him medical attention, good job!!!

From what I have read here, you know it is bad based on their behavior (not eating being a big one) and/or the readings you get on the Ketostix. I have also read here that extra fluids can help flush them out, but that the most important thing is to get more insulin in them (without causing hypo of course).

For treatment, as far as I know the only thing it really means (beyond what your vet may do to deal with the immediate problem) is that you need to be more aggressive with getting him regulated than those without ketone problems. And then longer term, you will probably need to be more vigilant than those w/o a ketone history to be sure he eats well & gets plenty of fluids, and do regular Ketostix checks. There are plenty of kitties/beans on the board who have dealt with ketones and/or DKA, and have gotten through it succesfully, hopefully they can give you more advice.

I completely understand the urge to go slow with dose raises and give them time to settle (I did that myself with my cat, though I would not repeat what I did - in hindsight I was too cautious & was simply lucky I guess that he didn't have complications). Sometimes you don't get that luxury though, I am really sorry you are having to deal with all this!!!!

Keep us posted, and again, I am hoping he is feeling better soon. Make sure to take care of yourself too - this is a really frustrating illness IMO, and you can drive yourself nutso trying to figure it out. It's important to keep the house well stocked with kleenex and chocolate :) until you get to the point where things get easier. Sending good thoughts & prayers yours & Meatballs way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.