Mermelada still in low numbers

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Andrea Sanz, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Andrea Sanz

Andrea Sanz Member

Hi! Today is a week since we stopped the insulin shots and we are still getting low numbers, maybe a little bit too low? What do you think?

I can't believe how drastic the change has been since we started

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.
  2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Beautiful numbers, Andrea!
    Once a diabetic, always a diabetic. You will always have to feed the lowest carbs you can given his poop situation.

Andrea Sanz likes this.
  3. Andrea Sanz

Andrea Sanz Member

Thank you! We are super happy about it, and hopping to stay this low for most of his life,

now we are thinking about changing his diet, I found the virbac brand who said that it has low glycemyc index, i know dry food isn't the best but I choosed that one due to the hydrolyzed ingredients, however it seems it didn't worked at all, actually his scratches and licking got worse, so I need to find other option

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  4. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Which vibrac are you thinking of using?

Dry food, even the diabetic ones, will nearly always be higher than 10% carb.

Mermelada will always be a diabetic, and to keep him in remission he needs to continue on a Low carb, preferably wet diet. George has been in remission for sometime now, we had an accident where he got into the outdoor cats dry food, his numbers went sky high, fortunately they came back down after they went through his system.

I read back and saw that you've had a problem with the cortisone shots, George came out of remission when he was given a cortisone injection, it was long acting, sounds like it may be similar to what your vet gave. It stayed in his system for 10 days, I started him on insulin but it was like I was shooting water, he was all red and black it wasn't till day 7 that I started seeing some change in numbers, and day 10 when we saw some real movement. I wonder if that explains some of what you saw happening with his BG after the cortisone was out of his system. (if you look in Georges SS you can see how he reacted to the cortisone shot, he had been in remission for 3 years when the cortisone made him need insulin again. (January 2019 is when he was given the steroids)

Have you come across Dr Lisa's feline nutrition site?

She has translated the info in various languages, discusses in detail how to feed a homemade diet for your cat. A lot of people here use her recepies, with the potential food allergies it might be a better more economical, in the making cat food section she talks about allergies.

I am so happy that Mermelada is doing so well in his OTJ trial, his numbers look great.
    I don't know if anyone shared the OTJ instructions with you at the time.

Here they are just in case no one did:

Start the trial on the next green pre shot. If he/she is green at your normal test times, no need to test further until the next "PS" time; just feed small meals and go about your day. If he/she is blue at your normal "PS", feed a small meal and test again after about 3 or 4 hours. If his/her number is lower 3-4 hours after a meal, then the pancreas is working! Post every day so we can monitor your progress and see if any tweaks are needed. He/she may have a sporadic blue number. Don't panic but post before you decide whether to shoot so we can have a discussion. After 14 days of no insulin, we have a party!! Sometimes the trial doesn't work the first time and we have to give a little more support in the form of resuming insulin. It's not the end of the world if that happens; we just give him/her the support needed. Our goal is a strong remission and it's better to take our time to get that than to rush into remission just to have it fail later on. Once he/she is through the trial successfully, you enter a new phase.

Your cat is still diabetic but has now become diet-controlled.
    Continue feeding low carb food in the manner successful for your kitty.

If you decide to change his/her feeding schedule, let your meter be your guide to the best times to feed.
    Avoid medications with sugar in them and steroid medications unless they are medically essential. Continue testing blood glucose weekly for the first month and then monthly forever. It's a good idea to weigh him/her monthly. Weight should remain stable. If he/she seems "off" or sick, or is showing signs of diabetes (excessive drinking, eating, urinating, weight loss), test his/her blood glucose right away. Keep the teeth and gums clean and healthy; dental issues can bring a cat out of remission. If you see rising blood glucose numbers, it's time for a visit to the vet! Good luck with the trial!!!

Andrea Sanz likes this.
  5. Andrea Sanz

Andrea Sanz Member

OMG thank you so much for this info!! I'll be trying that and hoping to stay this low as long as posible

For his food I really need to change it the virbac brand has one for diabetic control, but as you said it has a lot of carbs in it..

I'm trying to find a wet brand who could control his allergic reactions, maybe a grain free one, or one without salmon (i'm suspecting salmon because when I was giving him just boiled chicken for his diahrrea he wasn't beeing as itchy as today with the virbac who has salmon in it) his allergy is constant but moderated