Meter question from a newbie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Vannypack, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vannypack

Vannypack Member

Hi all! I am going to purchase a meter for my Tommy today and wanted to know which ones you all use. I have heard Relion is a good one, but would like more of your opinions. Also, how do you tell the size of the lancet? Will it say it on the meter? I know the 26 or 28 size is better.

I will be doing his first home test tonight and am nervous but I think I can do this!

Thanks for your response in advance! :cat:

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The WalMart ReliOn Confirm or Confirm Micro are popular and readily available and the test strips are relatively inexpensive.
    The package of lancets usually gives the lancet size (diameter). You want about 28 gauge vice 30/31 gauge.
    The 28 gauge may say made for human alternate site (other than finger tips) testing. The 30 and 31 gauge are also cal thin and ultra thin

Vannypack likes this.
  3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Yes, you absolutely can do this! :)

I use the Relion Confirm; the test strips are a little higher (34.88/100 at Walmart) than those for the Prime, but it uses a smaller drop of blood.

Vannypack likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The lancets are purchased separately from the meter. It will say the gauge on the box.

Vannypack likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

6. Vannypack

Vannypack Member

7. Vannypack

Vannypack Member

Awesome! Just purchased that one at Walmart. Thank you!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  8. Vannypack

Vannypack Member

Thank you! I was able to find the 28 gauge lancets and purchase me the ReliOn Confirm :)

9. Vannypack

Vannypack Member

Just did it! He was at 270 before his food/shot. I got my finger, and I went through his ear a little I think, but I did it! I gave him a treat after, and he didn't seem to mind! So proud of myself and Tommy :)

JanetNJ likes this.
  10. JanetNJ

Well done! I put a cotton cosmetic round behind the ear to protect my finger and to pinch the ear afterwards.

That's not a bad preshot number!

11. Vannypack

Vannypack Member

Thanks! I meant to do that last night but got so nervous I forgot. I did it this morning though, and no blood was drawn from me :p

JanetNJ and Kris & Teasel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.