? Methyl-B12 given as shots?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bandit's Mom, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

I know that almost everyone her must be giving their babies methyl-B12 orally (Zobaline, Vitacost etc). I wanted to check if anyone here gave methyl B12 as shots?

Bandit is on kibble and giving methyl-B12 to her orally is a kind of torture for her. She doesn't like it mixed with her kibble and if I mix it in water and syringe it into her mouth, she often gets hiccups. She really hates it.

I was wondering if I could give her weekly shots of methyl-B12 instead of pilling her daily.

It is easily available here. In fact, we don't get cyanocobalamin B12 as injections any more. Only methyl-B12 and B-complex shots.

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I don't think methyl comes in injectable. Do you give any wet food at all?

3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

We get methyl B-12 in injectable form here in India.

She won't even look at wet food. Leaves the room!

4. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

This may help you
    https://www.felinecrf.org/vitamin_b.htm#methyl_or_cyano

Vitamin B12 is available in oral or injectable forms, but the injectable form is almost always cyanocobalamin rather than methylcobalamin (I do know of one US compounding pharmacy which provides injectable methylcobalamin, see below)

It used to be thought that only the injectable form of vitamin B12 was effective, and indeed this may well be the case for cats with gastrointestinal disease, who may have problems absorbing oral medications. The Gastrointestinal Laboratory at Texas A&M University says "Until similar studies evaluating the efficacy of oral cobalamin supplementation in dogs and cats have been published, the parenteral route continues to be the route of choice." However, in a later article, Treatment of cobalamin deficiency in dogs and cats (2016) Clinician's Brief, Dr J Steiner, head of the Gastrointestinal Laboratory, says "Supplementation has traditionally been administered parenterally because cobalamin deficiency has been shown to lead to malabsorption of cobalamin in the ileum; however, recent data have shown that oral supplementation may be just as efficacious."

For patients without gastrointestinal disease, the oral route is definitely an option. Oral vitamin B12 versus intramuscular vitamin B12 for vitamin B12 deficiency(2005) Vidal-Alaball J, Butler CC, Cannings-John R, Goringe A, Hood K, McCaddon A, McDowell I & Papaioannou A Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 20(3) found that oral vitamin B12 was as effective as intramuscular vitamin B12 for human patients with vitamin B12 deficiency. Efficacy of oral cobalamin (vitamin B12) therapy(2010) Andrès E, Fothergill H & Mecili M Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy 11(2) pp249-56 examined a number of studies and says these "provide evidence that oral cobalamin treatment may adequately treat cobalamin deficiency. The efficacy was particularly highlighted when looking at the marked improvement in serum vitamin B12 levels and hematological parameters, for example hemoglobin level, mean erythrocyte cell volume and reticulocyte count. The effect of oral cobalamin treatment in patients presenting with severe neurological manifestations has not yet been adequately documented." The study concludes "Our experience and the present analysis support the use of oral cobalamin therapy in clinical practice."

Many members of Tanya's CKD Support Group have successfully used orally administered methylcobalamin for their CKD cats. Some people whose cats have severe anaemia hedge their bets by using the injectable form as discussed below and giving the oral form on the other days; however, severe anaemia may well require other treatments in addition to methylcobalamin. Discuss the best approach for your cat with your vet.
    A little further down the page

Vitamin B12 Injectable Dosages

Doses are lower than for oral administration because less is wasted when the injectable form is used.

A commonly used dose for injectable cyanocobalamin is 250-500mcg every week or every two weeks. Drugs recommends 0.25 to 0.5 ml of the 1000mcg/1ml concentration (so 250-500mcg), every 1-2 weeks as required

Although it is more bioavailable than cyanocobalamin, I understand from those who have used injectable methylcobalamin that the dosage is the same as for injectable cyanocobalamin, i.e. 0.25ml of the 1000mcg/ml strength (which is 250mcg); however, it is normally only given every 2-4 weeks (although some members of Tanya's Support Group give it more often). Be guided by your vet on the best protocol for your cat.​

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    KPassa and Bandit's Mom like this.