Metronidazole - effect on BGs?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lynn and bear (ga), Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lynn and bear (ga)

lynn and bear (ga) Member

Does anyone have experience with Metronidazole? Have any of you had experience with it affecting the blood glucose levels?

I have been giving him the pills (not liquid) - tomorrow will be his 5th day on it.

Any info is appreciated - many thanks!

2. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Well, as you well know the infection whatever it is can raise bg levels. The Flagyl in and of itself should not do that. But I do know that this antibiotic doesn't have a very pleasant taste (I did taste it!). When I gave it to Tigger we had it compounded into something more palatable (Tigger was on it for about a month for something we were treating). So maybe that is the problem since you don't elaborate on how he is acting. Like maybe he is stressed out over the taste and being given the pill? Just know that it is very bitter tasting. Maybe chasing the pill with water would help? Here is a link that also suggest giving it with food:

http://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/learning- ... y-use.html

3. lynn and bear (ga)

Thanks for that link, Pamela, good info there. I learned the last time he was on Metronidazole about the horrible taste, so this time I am giving him the pills in pill pockets. He gobbles them down like treats (so far - knock on wood). The pill pockets themselves have sugar in them, but I use them regularly with him for other meds and have seen that (with him at least) they don't generally affect his BG levels if I use a small amount. Thank you for your response! :)

4. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Hi Lynn,
    No extraordinary thoughts here - but my Boris just finished a course of Metronidazole. It didn't seem to affect his BG's. He's not into pill pockets unfortunately. We found chicken flavored gel caps tho that held all the meds he needed tho.

Hope your kitty is better soon!

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Gabby was on several courses of metronidazole and it didn't have an effect on her BG.

Re. the pill pockets -- there's an allergy formula that doesn't contain corn syrup. It's a duck and pea formula. Gabby loves them!

6. lynn and bear (ga)

Patti - what brand are those gelcaps?

ooh Sienne - that duck and pea is an excellent tip, I use pill pockets often. I just ordered some to see if he will go for it.

Update - the vet told me to take him off the Flagyl because his bloodwork came back negative on the fecal. I am hoping he will be feeling better soon. Thanks guys for your input - much appreciated. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.