Mickey 6/28

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Peggy and Mickey (GA), Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

BG 30 minutes after eating 371 no insulin yet. His BG went down 82 points from yesterday. No ketones, got him while he was going. A few more days???

2. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Hi Mickey hope you get things under control soon I have Trey we have been here a month so we are new at this Just wanted to drop and say HI ..Wow Mickey is a large kitty Trey weight 17 1/2 lbs and he is orange and white Tabby. He loves everyone and FOOD Anyway nice to meet you I am in PEI Canada LOL Kath & Trey :mrgreen: ;-)

3. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Nice to meet you too!! 17 is large too...Mickey was 24lbs down to 18lbs when he was first diagnosed. But ran around like a kitten. LOL Good luck and thanks!!

4. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see his BG is lower, and no ketones is wonderful news! I think it's up to you when you want to start the insulin. If he is feeling good overall, with no ketones, I don't think waiting a few days will hurt, and his BG might continue to drop from the diet change. If you decide to wait, I would keep testing for ketones daily.

5. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Thanks Laurie, I think I may wait a day or so....see what his BG is tomorrow.

6. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Hi Peggy,

I think it probably takes at least 3 days for the dry food to work its way out, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the numbers continue to improve a bit after that from healing to Mr P since the high numbers are better. He did it once before....

Wow, I read your work schedule- that is really confusing. I think I read that you basically work all 24hrs : 5 days of each with days off between:
    work 6AM- 2pm ----- shoot 5:30Am and 5:30pm
    work 2pm-10pm ----- shoot 6AM and come home during your dinner break, or pay someone at 6pm
    work 10pm-6 am ----- shoot 6:30 am and 6 pm

Do you have much commute time? Are you a nurse? Do you get off promptly or run late a lot?

Adding a little water to his food could help his numbers a bit by helping his kidneys flush out excess blood glucose and to move that dry food on along and out. When our numbers get really high subQ LRS helps a bit.

Is he losing a lot of weight, getting weak in the back legs, getting constipated- I forget what you posted before.

Any luck on the U100 syringes? What did you use last time?
    Check the expiration date on your test strips- they do get bad, especially if opened.

30 min after eating is probably as bad as it gets- 371 is not terrible. It would be interesting to see if he gets any pancreas action by testing again in an hour. Multiple small meals can stimulate a sputtering P

If you like the 5:30 to 6:30 test idea, then you should start plugging those BG numbers in your spreadsheet as though 6am and 6pm are your Preshot times and just write no shot in the dose section.

keep posting- its interesting to see how he does

7. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

That's great that the #s have come down almost 100 pts, and on a possible food spike too!!! When I have done food tests with Bix (feed a little and then test later to see if he is bringing the #s down on his own w/o an insulin shot), his lowest reading that I took was around 5 hrs after eating. Two hours after the meal was lower than the meal, and 5 hours even lower.

If you are curious, you might try your next test a few hours after a meal and see if the reading is lower. Of course the dry food is still clearing so you won't know for sure if that's why it's lower or if it's a nice post-meal low. ECID on the timing too - some cats have a lower # even 1 hour after eating, while some cats at that point are still in the midst of a food spike.

I think it would be fine to start on insulin if you want to, or waiting is ok too if he isn't really sick. If you already have invested in all the supplies, I don't know that there's any real reason to wait (are there cats around who have gone into remission from diet change alone? probably, but I don't really know), but I don't think there's any real harm either in waiting (assuming he is not showing a lot of symptoms, lethargic, not eating, etc.).

8. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Prayers and Angels coming to your house to help with Mickey...You are doing a good job just keep it up...Wish I could help so I send you a room full of Angels to help you just ask.... :mrgreen: LOL Kath

9. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

As for his health right now, he is acting very normal. He actually gained weight since the last vet visit from 29.9 to 30.3 Still peeing and drinking alot. No lethargy or anything.

Thanks everyone!!!! Keep you posted :razz: Gotta figure out the quote button too, that didnt work very well. Answers to your questions are in the quote. ?

10. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

The Quote button basically just puts quote
    Code:
    [quote]
    and end quote
    Code:
    [/quote]
    tags around the text, and also adds a "so & so wrote:" You can do it several ways:

- If you hightlight just the text you want (like one question), it will quote just that, then you can type after the whole block. Then if you want to quote another passage, you can highlight that and it will paste that in (might want to ctrl-c to copy what you wrote before doing it, just in case!!!).

- or you can copy the quote tags around where you need them, so if you wanted to put an answer in the middle of the whole quoted block you would put the end quote tag where you want it, and then your typing, and then copy the start quote block (or just type in

11. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

I'm not a computer whiz either, but if you scroll all the way down on your spreadsheet to the bottom, there is a link where it says "edit this page if you have permission". If you know your google documents password you should be able to edit/add info. I personally don't have to do it that way, but maybe you could until you get it straightened out.

Have you been to the tech forum for help with this? Tech forum: viewforum.php?f=6

I noticed there is one topic called " I cant edit my ss" so maybe that could help.

What is his bg today?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.