Mickey back on the juice after 3 yrs

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Peggy and Mickey (GA), Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi There...This is a start over for us. We were on humulin 70/30 for a month 3 yrs ago. I am getting PZI this morning. BG 438. My vet said to start with 3 units 1x a day. But I think I will start with 1/2 unit 2x a day. I do have the meter, strips, lansets and ketone strips.
    Mickey was tested and she said negative for ketones but there is sugar in his urine on a scale he is a 3 out of 10. Does anyone know were I can read about this.
    Thanks in advance.

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

What are you looking for? Info on sugar in the urine? I'm no expert in that, so I don't know where to find that.

You can get ketone and sugar sticks at the pharmacy and check those levels at home.

What insulin do you have? PZI BCP or a different PZI? U40 or U100.

3. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

PZI-they said u40 . I was just confused how sugar is in the urine and no ketones. Joe is picking up the insulin shortly they close at noon and I work until 2pm.

4. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

do you have mickey on LC food diet? if so i might even go with 1 u. for that high of a bg. my kitty squishy started on pzi, and we are still using it, when i changed his diet i started over using 1 u., and it worked out perfectly for me. my vet had us start with 1u, but then every week i went back before changing his diet she would up it some more till we got to 3 u. then i made the decision to change his diet and start over with 1u. i am still pretty new at this, so if you are not comfortable with 1 u. i would stick with the 1/2. using the 1 u. in my experience so far when squishys numbers were that high was a good. just a suggestion since you are new to pzi.

5. tuckers mom

Okay, just be sure that you are using U40 needles with the insulin, however I prefer the U100 because they make them smaller and it seems more comfortable, you can use a conversion chart for U40 insulin to use U100 so don't panic if he comes home with the wrong needles, which I doubt, but check them first before you use them.

Tucker (knock wood) has never had ketones, but he has spilled sugar into his urine several times. Tons of times over the years. I think once the BGs start to come down their will be less sugar in the urine and less chance of urinary tract infections.

Will you be able to get spot checks after you get the preshot number today? Is he starting insulin today?

6. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Jennifer, I will be able to get a preshot today. I just sent you an e-mail. I was back and forth on here.
    Boy am I nervous.

7. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

sugarsquishy, We are on Fancy Feast low carb but he does have access to Pro Plan as I have 6 other cats and 2 fosters. I took it for granted because he always tested in the 80's. Dry food comes up today.

8. tuckers mom

Don't be nervous. You are one of the strongest people I know. You alone saved Lilly Grace, you knew what to do and you took care of her when she needed you and you found a super home for her if I don't say so myself :mrgreen:

I also know what you can do at work and at home... you are amazing, this will be easy for you :)

I sent you an email, basically Ketodiastix test both ketones and glucose, they have two strips on the end to test both, so that would be a good way to go, you can test both at once. Tucker seems bothered when he has sugar in his urine, he does not use the litterbox when he has sugar, but other than that, he's been fine. His bgs can be erratic since he's got CP, IBD and now steroids.

I have about 50 U40 syringes that came up when I adopted Mr. Darcy, since he's OTJ and if he never needs insulin he wont be on vetsulin again, do you want the U40 syringes?

Also, you can start insulin at night, that's fine, just try to get a spot check after to see how does. These first few weeks will need extra monitoring to find the correct starting dose, whether it be 1/2U or 1U, only testing will tell us.

Do you know how to start a spreadsheet? The directions are on the tech forum.

9. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Hi Peggy! I'm sorry that Mickey is going back on the juice, but I'm glad you posted here! Tuckers mom and squishysmom have given you good info, I just wanted to say hi and welcome!

When you get the insulin, please let us know which one it is.

10. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Thanks Laurie and Mr. Tinkles

11. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Hi Peggy,

Hey before you even open that bottle of insulin, I would go a day or two with NO dry food in the house. He may just come way way down with that simple change. Then you will get a much clearer picture of the correct dose much faster. Also no hairball treats, no stealing bread off the counter, etc etc. Also spend today getting the spread sheet up and running, get freeze dried chix breast treats purchased, get your plan on which low carb food you will stick with, and your profile up and running. Check the tech forum for help with these.

Ketones usually show up with infection, not enough food, and not enough insulin, stress, in some combination. Extra fluids help flush them out if present. Strips available from any pharmacy, behind the counter, no prescription needed. 50 for $13/$15

Sugar gets into the urine through the kidneys. When the blood has sugar above approx 250, the kidneys clear it out through osmosis, and bring extra water out with it. That's why unregulated diabetics pee more, and get thirsty to replace what they are peeing out. So sugar in the urine just means that he has too much sugar floating around in his blood. It can't get into the cells where it is needed, because the key it needs (insulin) is missing.

You will know soon, but chances are good you will receive Prozinc insulin. It is the new Nov 09, FDA approved for cats insulin. website Prozinc.us

As mentioned, most Prozinc (u40 insulin) moms use human u100 syringes and a conversion chart. Get the ones with 1/2 unit markings. (SAMS $11 for 100) Using the u40/u100 syringe conversion chart allow very accurate doses under 1u. If you use u40 syringes you are guessing on doses under 1 unit, or 1/4 units. The conversion chart is in the sticky at the top of the pzi forum, as is a lot of other good info. Read it all before you start the insulin.

PLEASE make your diet change BEFORE the insulin. Looking forward to seeing you around!

12. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Good call on not going with that 3u SID, yikes!!! I agree getting the dry food out (from what I've read, even just 3 pieces can spike their BGs way up) hopefully will help a lot. You may still need insulin, but if he is doing reasonably well (no ketones, eating well, not too lethargic or underweight, etc.) I wouldn't seem to me there's much harm in doing as Nancy suggested and waiting a few days to see where his BGs are w/o the dry food. If he is really sick though, I would probably go with 1u BID, depending on how his #s look of course. A few people start at 1/2u, but most cats seem to need more than 1u until they get into better #s. If he's not real sick though, you can take it slow, no problem IMO.

Sugar in the urine pretty much comes with the territory - if you didn't get that, I'm guessing they wouldn't be diabetic, or maybe just barely. I don't know what the 3 out of 10 means, but heck.... sounds pretty good doesn't it? :lol: No ketones is awesome, ketones are bad. :evil: Some cats seem more prone to them, and when they have them it is scary stuff.

Welcome back, though at the same time sorry you have to be here. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.