? Micro dosing questions

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by mistymisty, Feb 11, 2019.

1. mistymisty

mistymisty New Member

We've been working on Misty's treatment for less than a month and she's been making a lot of progress. She's on all kinds of medication and supplements but she's much happier, more energetic, and she's even starting to get up to her usual mischief again. :rolleyes: However, we've been having some trouble with her dosing.

After tracking her bg we've been making the decision to lower her insulin after she started getting pretty low numbers which needed to be steered back up with a bit of higher carb food. Afterwards she would rebound and be very high before her next dose. After a vet consult they said to give her 0.5u twice a day but only if she's over 300 at her PS reading. After one dose of 0.5 she went hypo (BG 48) so we decided to be a little more conservative and give 0.25.

Her numbers have been more stable there, but we are still wondering about the vet recommended "no shoot" numbers because she is still capable of going quite high with no insulin at all.

We know consistent dosing is best, but the vet already recommended skipping insulin for anything under 300. Could it be beneficial to try and give her something smaller than .25 for the times she is under 300? Is a drop better than nothing at all? I'm also wondering if we should still try .25 at 200 to 300 since I know 200 is the usual no shoot number.

The thing I'm most concerned about is the fact that the syringe is labeled in unit increments so anything smaller is really just approximate. She was sent home on 1.5 so I'm amazed she's gotten so low on just 0.25!

Thank you to everyone who gave input or support, it's been really helpful to have this community backing us up!