? Mikey AMPS 268 +3 268 +8 153 PMPS 265 + 3 HI + 5 HI

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mikey’sDad, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

Yikes, he is bouncing.
    So why would he have a perfectly good day and a PMPS of 265 and go off the charts HI after his insulin. I am all ears

I checked with my vet and she does NOT think he is at a too high dose- that was good to hear

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hi! He is just a bouncy guy. The shot had nothing to do with it - he was on his way up and up to begin with. The insulin will help bring him down, when he bounces to 500s the insulin seems to bring him down to 300s.

If you had happened to get some +9s to +11s in the PM cycle, I think you'd have seen the same thing on Nov 1st and 2nd - a blue then bouncing up. Not saying you need to, just using those days as example.

How are his meals spaced out? You may be able to slow down some of those dives and prevent such big bounces by shifting food around.

Mikey’sDad likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Cats bounce from having a bg they aren’t used to or from dropping too fast. Some clear them quickly. So even if high at amps or pmps please get a +2-3. As Melissa said then you can feed a teaspoon or two of lc if there’s a drop to slow him down.

Mikey’sDad likes this.
  4. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

He eats a lot. He gets a can of FFpate at 5:00 am. 11:00 am 5:00 pm and 9:00 PM with snacks of PureBite Freeze dried chicken or Wysongs Epigen
    He grazes on his Pate but if it is a chunk he gobbles
    He weighs 10 pounds and the vet says that until he is more stable, let him eat what he wants of healthy Pate as she would like a tad more weight.

It’s difficult to get those late night numbers because I am asleep. I have stopped worrying as much but I am basically trying to learn all I can about diabetes. I guess I was under a false assumption that a shot meant he was on his way down.

Love the folks on this forum. My vet is quite impressed with the direction I am given.

Thanks,
    Tom

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It sounds like you have a good vet. Mikey needs to eat a lot I know. Just try and make sure he eats something at +2 and +3.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    Mikey’sDad likes this.
  6. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

She is a great vet! Mikey would eat 24 hours a day. He is addicted to Freeze dried PureBites. And they are not cheap!

7. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

No worries, you're doing great. I had the same issue at first, he was down to 10 lbs and ideal is 13.5 lbs. Ate a lot of food til we got him in better numbers.

Like Elise said, try to feed some at +2/3 every cycle - if it means you have to make his PS meal smaller then I'd suggest doing that. And we actually try not to feed after nadir - his nighttime cycles make that difficult because he tends to nadir a bit early, but his daytime ones aren't bad.

Think of BG like fire, and insulin like water. Small fire, water can handle it. Big raging fire (a bounce), that same amount of water can only do so much until the fire starts to burn out on its own. Feeding after nadir is a bit like throwing gasoline on a fire - the insulin is wearing off, so the insulin can't offset the BG increase as well as it does earlier in the cycle

Mikey’sDad likes this.
  8. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Same! Mr Kitty tries to shove his whole head in the bag before I can even get it open

Mikey’sDad likes this.
  9. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

He was the same way with Temptation treats before he was diagnosed- kitty crack. But he will not be eating that again! Now he is just as bad with that and the dry cat food Wysongs that I only use as a treat. I don’t want him to thin it is a main meal because I avoid even the low carb dry. Use that when I am out of PureBites. Mr Kitty I am sure has you trained