Mini OTJ

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Minimini, Mar 3, 2022.

1. Minimini

Minimini New Member

Hi there!
    Mini hasn't needed insulin since Oct 2021. I have been feeding canned food since then and his sugar levels are in a normal range.
    However, the vet has found crystals, a really basic urine and high levels of creatine and urea.
    He told me to feed him with Royal Canin Urinary kibbles, and... Honestly, I'm not really keen on going back to dry. I have been checking the dr.'s food list, but I'm really lost, especially because most of those brands aren't sold in Spain.
    Any guidance on this will be truly appreciated.

Oh! I forgot! His current food is Animonda Carny Adult Chicken and Salmon.
    Protein 11%
    Fat 6%
    Fiber 0'5%
    Ashes 2'4%
    Water 79%
    Taurine 0.8g/kg

A Fae likes this.
  2. A Fae

A Fae Member

3. Minimini

Minimini New Member

I truly appreciate your help, but I have to be honest, I have taken a look and it has scared the hell out of me.
    We've barely been through diabetes and now this... Mini seems to be doing fine, eating and rolling as usual, I hope it doesn't get as serious as some of the kitties of that forum.

A Fae likes this.
  4. A Fae

A Fae Member

You might want to post this on the main heath forum, much more traffic there. Someone should have food info. I won't do kibble or "prescription" diet.
    Good luck:bighug::cat::bighug:

5. A Fae

A Fae Member

I'm going to tag a person that might be able to help
    @tiffmaxee
    A person here has a renal food question

6. A Fae

A Fae Member

Other than a bag of prescription kibble I came home with, I switched OGC over to wet food and used phosphorus binders mixed in with extra water.
    I used:
    Generic Aluminum Hydroxide Dried Gel Powder (Al(OH)3)
    I got it from a compounding pharmacy up the Street at a low price. It's the ingredient in mylanta and maylox, but those are suspension. Pharm wanted to make us chicken flavored but it's tasteless. I just mixed it in the Fancy Feast pate.
    Check this site:
    http://www.zzcat.com/CRF/supplies/binders.htm

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    Reason for edit: Oops
    tiffmaxee likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Dry food makes no sense with ckd. Another place to learn all about ckd is tanyascrf. I like the kidney group mentioned above. I agree that feeding wet food and adding AH if needed is a better choice. I'm sorry but I know nothing about food in Spain. You can use a carb calculator to try and find a food low in phosphorus and carbs. Was the phosphorus high? Crystals does not mean ckd. Was she checked for a UTI? What was the urine specific gravity? That tells how well she is concentrating her urine. Have yo noticed her drinking more and urinating more? Those are usually the first signs of ckd. When Max was identified as diabetic I thought it was going to be ckd as those as you know are signs for fd as well.

A Fae likes this.
  8. A Fae

A Fae Member

Thanks
    Thanks that's helpful. It's been so long I forgot about Tanya's helpful site.

9. Minimini

Minimini New Member

Oh my... I did't get any notification to my e-mail... I'm so sorry.

@A Fae thank you so much for caring, I truly appreciate it. I will ask for that in the pharmacy.

@tiffmaxee
    To be honest, I don't even know what to answer. They took the urine from his carrier, which, as far as I know, it might be just dirty and hence, the urine could be contaminated. He peed there because he was scared, not because he has had any problem with that.
    He drank very little since I fed him wet food and peed as usual.
    I have the urine and blood analysis with me, but I don't know how to look for the data you are asking.
    As for the phosphorus, how can I know the ammount if it is not listed in the food?

10. tiffmaxee

11. Minimini

Minimini New Member

12. tiffmaxee

The upload doesn’t work. You have to paste it from your phone or computer.

13. A Fae

A Fae Member

You're welcome. I've always had a special place in my heart for all the critters and especially kitties. Wow, they used urine out of the carrier?! Thats worse than the OLD dr that squeezed Groovy Cat's bladder. He squealed with pain, I never had that tried before or after.
    Hope your kitty gets better soon!
    Sending Groovy cat_wings>o love.