Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

A year ago today, my little Gabi left for the Rainbow Bridge. I can still feel her head in my hand... her soft fur... and the way it felt when her spirit left...

This is what I posted on that day:

My daughters and I helped our Gabi cross over to the Bridge. Gabi was tired... just so tired. She had another grand mal seizure 9 days ago... and this time she couldn't fight her way back to us, so we gave her peace. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Gabi is the first one I've ever had to make the decision for. My mind knows it was what she needed, but my heart is shattered.

Our Gabi was such a fighter... she had such a spirit. For those of you who never heard the story, I adopted Gabi when she was about 20 years of age on September 6, 2006 after seeing her advertised on Petfinder as "The kitty nobody wants." Gabi had been with her foster mom for almost 3 years after Joan rescued her in the middle of a bitterly cold winter. It took months, but the trick was to open the office door: Gabi strutted right in. At first they didn't realize that Gabi was deaf. They knew right away that she was sick, though. Gabi had kidney failure. After I brought her home and took her to my vet, we also found that Gabi had bullet fragments in her side.

At Thanksgiving of 2007, Gabi suffered her first seizure, but her fighting spirit overcame her physical limitations. After that, Gabi dragged her left rear leg a bit and had basically no sensation on that side... but she was still so Gabi. Her next grand mal seizure was a year later in November of 2008. This one left her with post seizure circling, but again Gabi rallied after only a couple days and returned to her feisty self... and literally climbing on my DD, Megan's, head to get at her Froot Loops!

Last Saturday, February 7, Gabi once again had a grand mal seizure. This one was different... I knew it in my heart. A part of Gabi was already gone. We needed to give her the chance again... but this time she just wasn't able to rally. We spent the last week just loving her... loving, loving, loving her.

We miss our little girl more than imaginable, and it's only been a few hours. She taught us so much in the short time she was here: how to use your spirit to heal; how to overcome the odds when they are stacked against you; how to see beyond the physical to the true inner beauty.

It's amazing how big a presence a 5 lb 7 oz kitty can be in a home... but that's what our Gabi was: a beautiful, light-filled presence who we are so very honored to have known and loved.

I hope you are at peace, dear girl... we love you more than we could ever say...

My baby girl
    [​IMG]

2. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Carolynn!

What a beautiful, little girl she was. And although she must have had a terrible life before you, what a fighter and how lucky she was to spend her last years with you and your family, being loved all the time. You gave her what she needed most at the time she needed it most.

How's Fletcher doing?

3. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Oh what a sweet girl. I love the 'black cheeks with white whiskers' look. So cute.

I wish I could say it gets easier ... I've been waiting for it to get easier ... Two weeks ago was Earl's 3-year "anniversary". It has gotten less raw, but I still think of how much I want him back.

Heather's right, the time you spent with Gabi was the most memorable in her life, and you gave her the gift of leaving this world as a beloved, well-cared for cat and that is the best gift we can give our animal companions. ((Carolynn))

4. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

She was so cute, beautiful really. You are a special person to have given her so much, taken her in and loved her when no one would have her. cat_pet_icon I hope all we do for these rascals counts for something. I think the love we show our pets speaks volumes to our children about how to love people. You're a good bean Carolynn.

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Gabi was so special, she was truly one in a million. You were both lucky to have found each other. She and Henry are probably up there talking up a storm and hearing everything that's going on around them.

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

(((((((Carolynn)))))))

7. Jennifer+Spunky(GA)+Peake

Jennifer+Spunky(GA)+Peake Member

Truly can't believe it's been a year....I'm so sorry.

8. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Dear Carolynn,
    Please forgive me for being gone and not even sending you some love on a day like this. Gabi knew such love from you AND from your girls. All your kitties do. They are so very lucky to have such a loving family -

I still have that postcard you sent with all your kitties pictures on it. Gabi will always be so beautiful - such a loving little girl - and certainly one who will never be forgotten.

As always - sending you all my love and the most gigantomungo of hugs!
    xxx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.