? Monkie PMPS 52 +25mins 73 - Skip? Reduce? *** New to super low #'s!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Monkie, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Monkie

Monkie New Member

Monkie had her lowest BG of 52 for her PMPS. We fed her the normal low carb wet food and a couple treats and tested after 25 mins and she was at 73.

I've read how to handle low numbers but I'm seeing advice to skip the dose on 50 or lower. We're using a human meter so wouldn't the average 15% discrepancy meters have mean she could be in the 40s?

We dropped her dose from 2.25 to 2.0 yesterday. I'm a bit confused even after reading the how to handle low #'s and tillys lantus guide on what to do as far as tonights dose.

She's acted normal all day and has been super playful. No hypo symptoms. New to these low greens!

Thank you!

Previous: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/posts/2902588/

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi, whether you shoot or not depends on what dosing method you follow ( Dosing Methods: Start Low, Go Slow (SLGS) & Tight Regulation (TR)). With TR, you can shoot any number over 50 and with SLGS any number over 90 - IF you can monitor. Have you decided on TR?

If you encounter a number lower than you are comfortable shooting, you stall without feeding and test after 20 mins to see if the number is rising without food.

Were the treats high carb?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    Marina & Chico likes this.
  3. Monkie

Monkie New Member

We have been trying the TR method but with this 52 being so close to the don't shoot #... it had us questioning what to do. Especially considering yesterdays AMPS was 199 and +5 was 68. This had me thinking a +5 from this 52 PMPS would be extremely too low. I'd hate to skip and have a setback but also need sleep (1:30am PMPS's currently).

We panicked a bit and just fed her the wet and three high carb treats and got the 73 after 25 mins. At this point it's 1hour after her normal time so I'm still unsure if we just reduce her to 1.75 starting now or an even smaller .5 or 1.0 go limit the amount of setback.

4. Monkie

Monkie New Member

I think we will just skip as that 52 on a human meter could be a low 40. She was also a bit stressed when we tested her and it took two pokes, which could have raised it.

We will get back on track tomorrow and start her on a reduction to 1.75u and do another curve. Stressful but we are getting it!

Thank you for the help and reminder on stalling without feeding.

5. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

If you are following TR, you hold the dose till she earns a reduction by dropping below 50. With Lantus, the depot takes 4-6 cycles to adjust to a decrease so what you are seeing is still the 2.25U depot at play. I would suggest you stay with 2U till she earns a reduction.

Considering that she came up only 20 odd points with high carb and you cannot monitor, it is a good idea to skip. The good things about a skip is that it provides you with an opportunity to "reset" your shot time. You want to keep your shot times such that you can get some tests in both cycles. Most of us shoot between 5 to 8 am/pm.

If you have more test data, it would be very helpful if you could update that in the SS. Even just data for 2022 is good enough.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    Marina & Chico likes this.