more ?'s from Michele and Soccer-- cross posted

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by MicheleS, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

cross-posted from "main" diabetes health forum:
    Hi everyone,
    Just when I though I had this under control... Soccer has thrown me a curve-ball. A GOOD curve-ball, but I'm confused nonetheless.

A brief summary (I can't figure out the profile feature here :? ):

Soccer is on ProZinc.

Diagnosed 1 week ago. Has been PU/PD for a while (I think) but we have multiple cats so I couldn't figure out who the offender was .

BG 493 at dx. Liver & kidney fcn OK. Muscle loss on hindlimbs but all else on physical exam OK.

Obese.

Last week I changed to canned friskies (ick), using the food chart to select low carb. There is some dry out (Wellness Core) while I transition everyone to canned. They all used to eat Purina ONE Adult Hairball.

Feeding: meal 1: 5am (at insulin), meal 2: +5, meal 3: +9-10, meal 4: 5-6pm (at insulin), meal 7: +4-5

BG and insulin are on our spread sheet.

SO, yesterday, I get home and DH tells me that our DD has *fed* the cats. Uggghhh. Soccer had been on a bender of carby treats. I checked his BG (this was +10) and it was less than 150??? :eek: Huh??? So I fed him his afternoon snack as usual. PMPS was still less than 150 so I fed him again and waited 2 hrs. STILL less than 150 so I punted the pm-insulin, figuring that amps would be SKY-High. It wasn't. :shock: So... this am I gave him 0.4 units (down from 0.6) because it was 190. I'm going to go home to feed him his meal #2 and check BG then. (DH works from home but isn't comfortable checking BG.)

So- what is happening? Is he going OTI already? or is he fooling me? FWIW~ he is mad as hell about the testing. He bit me yesterday... so I know he is feeling better. ;-)

Thanks!!
    Michele

2. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

You have got a nice downward trend in numbers there. He may be one of those cats that just needs a diet change. You will need to keep monitoring for quite a while. You are doing great!

3. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Looks like the beginning of remission to me. You'll need to set yourself a "no shot" zone. With Lucy (Humulin L at the time), I used 180. With Honey Boy (NPH), I had to move it up to 220 because just a drop would bring him down.

Under the no shoot number, you do what you're already doing and provide little bits of food to stimulate the pancreas to release its own insulin.

All those extra little "meals" you're feeding are really just snacks of like 1 tablespoon, right? If he's already obese, it won't help for him to gain more weight.

4. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

LOL! Yeah, I give him ~2-3 oz at insulin and 1-2 oz at the other meals. He's not a member of the "clean plate club"... In fact, he actually eats ~half of what I give him before the other cats get it. I estimate that he actually ingests 1 to 1.25 cans of friskies a day (the 5.5 oz size). If I feed him 2 big meals instead of many small, he barfs. ick.

So, what's a good "no shoot" zone on PZI? I was tentatively thinking 150. Between 150 and 190: 0.4 units. And, above 190: 0.6 units. Ideas? Opinions?

Thanks! Michele

5. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

The no shoot zone should be what you are comfortable with. What you said sounds fine to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.