Morning Advice

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Mphair84, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

Thank you all for the amount of support I've received. I can't imagine how tiring it must be to provide the amount of help everyone gives on a daily basis and I greatly appreciate it!!

With that said, I do have a question. I've been sticking with 1.5. I'm trying not to over adjust his dose. I can usually stall or monitor him at night so it's not that big of an issue. In fact, I was in the yellows this morning.

He's been running in the blues at PMPS, which I've been giving his normal dose and I may give him a few Carby treats if I think he's heading lower, but overall, I think he's doing good.

However, tonight I wasn't comfortable giving the full 1.5 because he wasn't raising as fast and he was only 128 an hour later. I gave 1.25.

My question is, should I give him the 1.5 in the morning or keep 1.25? I don't want to make him " jumpier" and I know I was kind of confused previously in regards to dose adjusting because lower numbers. The group is way more experienced than me. Maybe I would have been safe with the full dose because I have been monitoring him at night anyways. ( I've been shooting lower so I've just been making sure he's good).

I know it depends on his number in the morning, regarding his dose, I like to think ahead and develop a plan. Unfortunately, monitoring him in the morning isn't an option because work.

I just wanted to see what others thought about staying at 1.5 or going to 1.25. I can get mid day numbers Saturday.

Thanks for the help yet again. :)

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I think you did exactly the right thing tonight. Eventually you may be able to stick with the full dose, even on lower numbers, but at this point, you are still collecting data and learning TK's habits, so lowering a little, collecting data, and seeing what happens is the right decision. Now you know that at least at this point in the journey, he can handle at least close to his regular dose, even on a lower PMPS.

It also looks like when the insulin runs out at the end of the PM cycle, he jumps up pretty quickly for that AMPS number, and then has a nice long cycle for the AM cycle. So I think in the morning, you might go with a skinny 1.5u, but not all the way down to 1.25u.

Of course, if the AMPS is lower than usual, you may want to go lower than that, especially if you can't be home to monitor tomorrow.

You're doing great, and TK is getting better and better numbers. I know it's kind of stressful, but you're making good decisions, and doing a great job!

Mphair84 and Rachel like this.
  3. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

I think I will plan to get some sleep this weekend and relax a little. I like having the numbers at night because I can't get them during the day, but I should cut down a little. I'm do need to rest too!

Actually, I feel pretty good about last night. I did not freak out and give him carb treats because I was afraid he'd go too low when I got the 107. In fact, he went into green. Also this morning he was in the yellow. I wonder how this afternoon's going to go.

Thanks for the advice. I feel guilty that I need reinsurance. That vet really made me feel like like I was damaging TK possibly causing more of an issue.

4. Djamila

Please don't feel guilty!!! We all need reassurance from time to time. Or just a space to vent and cry and share our frustration and anxiety. That's part of why this board is such a great place. And when someone in authority tells us we are doing something wrong it feels awful (even if the vet is the one who is wrong!).

Really great job managing that cycle last night. And what great numbers!!! If you look at my spreadsheet, Sam, and TK are getting similar patterns right now - really great evening cycles, higher daytime cycles. TK is newer at this dance though, so hopefully he'll even out soon! My hunch is you might have another dose reduction coming soon as well. Fingers crossed!

5. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

Funny you should say that! I was just thinking that. I'm excited to get some mid day numbers this weekend. I HATE not getting mid-day numbers. I was looking back and last weekend his mid days were 're the yellows. I'm hoping they ate at least blue!! Well, his ACTUAL mid day numbers were yellow, he gets lower around 2, so I did get some blues. :)

6. Djamila

Me too. Work really does get in the way of all of this! :( But without it, how would we pay for all of their supplies? :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed TK gives you some good numbers today. Hooray for the weekend!

Mphair84 likes this.