? mr b's rollercoaster

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Misterbeesmom, Nov 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

this little goofball of mine! Afrr making me crazy with reds is having a great day.

His pmps is 203. I'm not sure if i should dose or stall? Thoughts?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Holy moly, Jen! This is a wonderful PS. I think you have enough data to shoot 4 u if you can monitor tonight or you could stall 20 minutes or you could lower a tiny bit, say to 3.8 u. Lowering is my least favourite choice because of the battle you've had to get his numbers down.

Misterbeesmom likes this.
  3. Misterbeesmom

Thanks kris! I stalled but i'm dosing now.

Sorry teasel is giving you a hard time. Did i see black?

4. Kris & Teasel

Yes, black a while ago. He's been very fond of pink and red too these days. I'm happy to see a yellow.

5. Misterbeesmom

Yay yellow!

6. Kris & Teasel

You might see bouncing today but carry on ...

7. Misterbeesmom

Thank you yes i'm ok with it today lol no freaking out.

8. Kris & Teasel

Some things about these unpredictable cats are predictable! :)

9. Misterbeesmom

Funny we had deja vu tonight. Pmps 204 but this time i dosed him instead of stalling.

Sue and Oliver (GA) likes this.
  10. Kris & Teasel

Wow! That's great! You're getting some traction with Mr. B. This type of dosing - ie., giving a full dose at a low-ish number - is the best way to cut through any insulin resistance that might have developed. Yes, bouncing can happen but I think it's important to keep at it and not retreat. I'm trying to get Teasel "unstuck" by slowly raising his dose. It's a process ... :confused:

11. Misterbeesmom

You can imagine my surprise at his amps today!

TG i'm home testing now.

I have to go to work so hoping he wont go horribly high before i can get back.

Nice to see teasel doing better!

12. Kris & Teasel

This is great, Jen! I think you're close to breaking through that "glass floor" some refer to, meaning getting up to a dose range that has enough oomph to push numbers down into territory where they become more insulin sensitive.

13. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Lovely! If he is high enough when you get back, you could give a tiny dose and shoot 8 hours later (if he is sure rising then).

See, those patience pants work!

14. Misterbeesmom

thank you both! I dosed when i came home and found him in the red. It was 20 hours since his pm shot yesterday.

Could i have done anything differently today to have better results? I couldnt dose him before i left for work at 108. I dont know what else i could do.

So he's either bouncing now or was high because it had been so long since a dose. Hope this doenst throw us off..

15. Kris & Teasel

Heavens! I see a blue at +6 after that red! You did the right thing - the red isn't surprising.

16. Misterbeesmom

Thanks! The blue surprised me too!

17. Kris & Teasel

There might be bouncing today but just look at how the blues are proliferating on your SS! :):)

18. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

has your kitty been feeling better with these lower numbers? peeing less?

19. Kris & Teasel

That pink this AM isn't surprising. Don't lose heart.

20. Misterbeesmom

We've been up and down but overall yes the drinking and peeing have calmed down. He had been drinking a lot more and peeing oceans before we started seeing the blues making more appearances. Thank u!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  21. Misterbeesmom

I'm ok thank u! :) we're a little off track from trying to get back to a normal shot time, so i'm not surprised about the pink. Will be testing in a minute which will be +13. Overall he seems to feel better. He has even shown interest in getting on the couch again, which he hadnt been for months. He can make it with aid of a footstool.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  22. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I had recently read a post by you where you were becoming very frustrated with his accidents... I'm glad it's lessened so things can get back to a more peaceful state. I know how stressful that can be, I've definitely been there.

23. Kris & Teasel

Just some mild bouncing today.

24. Misterbeesmom

Yeah he's just keeping me on my toes ;)

Nice blues on teasel!

25. Kris & Teasel

Whoopsy! Fur shot. You'll get back at it. It looks like you might have to try 4.2 u soon so he doesn't get stuck in pinks.

26. Misterbeesmom

Yeah boy was i angry with myself. Somehow a big drop of insulin beaded up on his skin while injecting. Happens once in a while.

I dosed him early tonight. Will increase tomorrow am looks like.

Sue and Oliver (GA) likes this.
  27. Kris & Teasel

But look at that mid cycle yellow after the AM fur shot!

28. Misterbeesmom

I know isnt that bizarre? I cant figure him out. Yesterday he got full dose, stayed pink. Today he got less insulin and got yellow. But he sure went right up fast tonight. I really get confused.

29. Kris & Teasel

The weirdness plus the recent blues are a hint that you're crossing some sort of threshold. Just keep at it!

30. Misterbeesmom

Ok! :)

31. Misterbeesmom

wow ok he did better yesterday after a partial dose/fur shot than he is doing today on an increased dose.

he's drinking tons again. laying by the water bowl and drinking drinking drinking.

i'm feeling one of my meltdowns coming on. why is this so hard? how can daily results vary so widely? i just plain dont get it. i'm sorry i sound like a broken record but i dont understand.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    StephG likes this.
  32. Kris & Teasel

No meltdown required, Jen. You're just seeing the unpredictable responses of an unpredictable kitty. Mr. B. has been unregulated a long time (like my guy) so his insulin sensitivity is compromised and variable. This will improve when he's more consistently in lower numbers. Your job is to get him there slowly and patiently even though it's heartbreaking to see him not feeling well.

Don't forget - he went 22 hours without insulin because of a fur shot. Even though there was an unexpected yellow mid-day yesterday, he's still coming off of that. Keep giving 4.2 u for a few cycles to see what happens.

33. Kris & Teasel

P.S. I have SS data only as far back as mid August but I've been toiling away at Teasel's dosing since his diagnosis in January of this year. He's been all over the place for months and months. I understand the frustration of having a hard to regulate kitty.

34. Misterbeesmom

thanks kris. seems I keep getting into this cycle of acceptance and patience, and then I lose my mind a bit. I keep looking for a pattern so I can help him, plus I get scared that his unpredictability is going to lead to him one day getting too much insulin. I mean, seriously, with numbers all over the place how can I rule that out as a possibility? :( and his legs are really giving him a hard time today and I just fall apart. I know you understand.

thanks for your helpful words.

35. Kris & Teasel

Glad to help, Jen. I think before you get into a jam with Mr. B. nosediving into hypo territory you'd have warning signs that the doses are becoming more effective, ie., you'd see more low blues and even greens. So far, his SS isn't showing that. Like Teasel he can be all over the map but he doesn't dive from red to green for example. You're doing enough testing to see what's going on and that's your best safeguard.

There are trends to be found on his SS: a) he doesn't nosedive as I just described; b) the last two weeks there are more blues through a cycle and there are more yellow preshots; c) he doesn't bounce super high - few reds and no blacks. It's a spread out pattern but it's there. Let's see what 4.2 u does tonight and again tomorrow. Don't sit too long at a dose if you get mostly yellow and pink. Pay more attention to the mid cycle numbers than the PSs - although they'll guide your dosing. Eventually you'll get to a dosing level where more blues pop up and stay a while. That's a sign of breaking through resistance. You'll know it when you see it.

36. Misterbeesmom

Thank you kris! You've taken a huge weight off my mind. I see what you mean. I'll keep on keeping on. And tonights pmps was at least not worse than earlier.

37. Misterbeesmom

Still pink at +4. Even higher than his Pmps! :banghead::banghead:

38. Kris & Teasel

I think he's a bit stuck in pink right now. I suggest trying 4.4 u tonight. I wouldn't bother with a fat 4.2 u because 4.4 u is only a 5% increase and it's easier to measure on the syringe. Give that 2 or 3 cycles and if there's no real movement, go to 4.6 u. Don't linger at an ineffective dose.

39. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I agree with Kri's dosing advice. One thing I'd like you to think about.. You ARE helping him, daily. Yes, he is unpredictable and may feel more like himself some days than others. But you test regularly and you are keeping him in safe levels (and even if he'd drop a little low, you know how to bring him up). He generally is in better numbers, improving, having more good days than bad - all gifts you have given him. And, as someone wise once said, he doesn't know he is "sick" with diabetes. He knows he is eating delicious food and getting lots of attention from him mommy.

Remember that breathing thing - breathe deeply and often. It really does help!

Misterbeesmom and Kris & Teasel like this.
  40. Misterbeesmom

thank you, both. (inhaling deeply)

will increase tonight if he's still pink.

41. Misterbeesmom

i increased last night
    and i realize it was outside of protocol but i increased this am too
    his +6 today is less than inspiring

42. Kris & Teasel

Yellow's not bad, Jen. Stay with this dose the next couple of cycles. It might take some time to show its effect.

43. Misterbeesmom

you're right. you know me - i was hoping for a better drop from an increased dose. just a few days ago he went into the blues after a lower dose, and it throws me off when i cant find a pattern. i know its an overall thing but ugh i am so so soooooooo sick of the pinks.

maybe he'll have a later nadir today. that can happen.

he hasn't pooped in a couple days but shows no distress. i'm also a little worried about that. its unusual for him.

thanks, kris!

44. Kris & Teasel

I like that yellow!

45. Kris & Teasel

If you can be around to do more testing this weekend (sooner if possible) you might try pushing him a little dose-wise, maybe increase by 0.2 u after 2 cycles until some blues pop up. Then, once you have a feel for how low these blues are, start pushing again providing you can monitor. It's nerve-wracking but if you can monitor and steer with food if needed you might shift him out of the dosing doldrums.

46. Misterbeesmom

I'm going to try that, i think.

47. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I feel like I'm reading some of my own posts!! Jen I feel your pain! Have you asked your Vet about possibly using Glucosamine/Chondroition for his legs? Chuck has arthritis in his backend... Vet said it's probably from the diabetes and once his BG is regulated better he'll get better but I started him on the supplement before the new vet. She thought if it was working I should continue it. I have discontinued it recently... I plan on starting it again soon. It made a big difference in his hind end so when I read your baby was having issues I wondered if you have considered it.

48. Kris & Teasel

Hey! Look at that nice yellow PS last night! :)

49. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Hope the dose increase gives you some more movement like your lovely pmps. A curve someday soon might be helpful.

50. Misterbeesmom

Sorry i somehow was not getting notifications! Just saw your reply now.

We used dasuquin which didnt seem to make a difference. I think that because mr b's bg has been unregulated for so long, nothing isgoing to turn around his leg issues until we get regulaged for a while, which i am beginning to doubt strongly that regulation will ever happen.

We do zobaline for neuropathy though also cannot tell if makes a difference.

Right now i'm trying to figure out if he's on too much insulin or too little. Either way he's in the 300's a lot of the time and i'm going insane.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    StephG likes this.
  51. Misterbeesmom

Things are not going great. Although prior dosing at lower amounts wasnt ideal, these higher doses arent producing results as good as what we got on lower doses. Our ss reflects this.

I'm extremely confused AGAIN.

52. Kris & Teasel

I saw Larry and Kitties suggestion to go back to 4 u to see what happens. It certainly won't hurt to try. Basically there are two possibilities, regardless of type of insulin: 1. his dose is too low for what's going on physiologically at this point in time or 2. his dose is too high and he's bounced up to higher numbers and has gotten stuck there (insulin resistance). Test option 1 by lowering the dose for several cycles to see what happens. Later, if necessary, test option 2 by continuing to raise the dose until you break through the resistance. Very frustrating situation ...

53. Kris & Teasel

I'm glad you're trying the dose lowering experiment. It can't hurt because his numbers have been high.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  54. Misterbeesmom

Thanks kris

I will continue to try to find what is best for mr b but tonight i really have lost hope of ever getting him regulated.

55. Kris & Teasel

I know how you feel. I gave up hope of getting Teasel regulated quite a while ago. It would be great if it happened but I'm not holding my breath. My goal right now is to keep him in as decent a range of BG as I can.

56. Kris & Teasel

I like the result of last night 5 u dose, Jen! If he's like Teasel, dropping the dose as you did and then going back up has "jumpstarted" his response. I view it as them getting complacent at a dose rather than full on resistant and they need a tweak to budge them out of it. Mr. B.'s SS suggests to me that he's like that. Also - he's at 5 u now so you can probably go for 0.5 u increases because that's only 10% but you'd want to monitor. He might be at a stage where he needs a little stronger push, always with safety in mind of course.

BTW - I went back to look at your Lantus SS. You were getting up into 5 u dose territory then too so that tells me that this is the range you'll have to be in with ProZinc as well. A unit of insulin is a unit of insulin, no matter the type. It's the Lantus depot that can help kitty - or not. That can depend on a lot of things like owner's need for flexibility or tendency for kitty to get stuck at a dose. My theory is that the depot/duration of Lantus worked against us for Teasel because he so easily becomes dose complacent/resistant. I need an insulin that can be steered like a car rather than a heavy truck. I might have been able to make Lantus work for him but that's history ...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  57. Kris & Teasel

Mid day bounce from last night's blue.

58. Misterbeesmom

thanks kris.

yeah he really didnt like lantus. i think the depot action just confused him, and overall he didnt feel well on it.

59. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I agree - I think I'd give small increases every 6 cycles and see if you get a breakthrough. That blue was nice.

60. Misterbeesmom

Thanks
    Got a red this am. I dont understand how.
    I am in a permanent state of confusion and anxiety over his numbers and dosing. It seems no matter what i do i cannot keep him out of the pinks, and now with this red-? My brain is burnt.

61. Kris & Teasel

That red number is only a couple of points off from being within the allowed 20% meter variance, Jen. It's merely part of the same trend of pinks you've had after that blue. I suggest going to 5.2 u or even 5.5 u if you can monitor him today. Look at the significant effect going from 3.8 u to 5 u had the other day. My opinion is that he needs to be carefully pushed.

You'll feel calmer if you look only at trends on your SS and not individual numbers - unless it's a nice surprise of course! :cat:

62. Misterbeesmom

Thanks. I have looked at ss overall and still get confused. He had reds and pinks when dose was much lower too, so for me i just dont see the trend. He had blues on lower dose as well as the recent overnight curve i did on the much higher dose. Its all greek to me, basically! Which makes it hard. I cant monitor today.

63. Kris & Teasel

If you can't monitor, give him 5 u again to be safer.

Yes, Jen, it is hard with a tricky cat like Mr. B. or Teasel. Reading a SS like theirs takes practice, judgment, willingness to focus on groupings of colours and - maybe most important of all - acceptance that you're on shifting sand and it's a fluid, not static, situation. Teasel has had nice numbers on lower doses as well but we're now on our way up to where I began in August. I attribute this to fluctuations in insulin sensitivity over time. He's gone through periods of being stuck in pink and red with some yellow (first half of September) and then periods of some nice blues and a few greens, usually after a dose increase or in reaction to a fairly low number. These fluctuations in sensitivity are what I watch for in testing but I can't really explain most of them. Complex physiology at work ...

I've come to see these things on his chaotic SS and even understand them a little. I form my own theories about what's going on and as numbers accumulate I see evidence that I'm on the right track. I've learned that:
    1. I can't let him sit too long at an ineffective dose or he'll get stuck and it'll be tricky to shift him;
    2. I can only increase his dose in small amounts;
    3. usually a dose increase will show more in the next cycle rather than the one begun with the increase;
    4. his "good" dose is a moving target.
    Mr. B.'s requirements will be different but the basic approach is the same. Set aside all expectations as best you can and be willing to experiment with doses (safely!) over time. At this point in time he's telling you he's stuck and needs a dose boost.

Like many situations in life we cope better while treating FD if we can learn to live with ambiguity.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  64. Misterbeesmom

I gave him a little boost this afternoon and at the same time it was an early dose, at +8. I dont mean to sound cavalier, but i figured what the hell. I,m soooooooooooooo sick of these high numbers and him feeling like crap. And now its +6 and he's still the same. Drinking and peeing tons.

Recording on the ss is going to be confusing for a bit.

65. Misterbeesmom

Thanks for your good advice, kris and taking the time to share what you've experienced with teasel. I'm so tired i've just lost nearly all my manners. I'm having a hard time coping, even with good advice. He has gone downhill over this past year and my brain is fried.

StephG likes this.
  66. Kris & Teasel

No problem, Jen. If my "calm voice from a distance" can help that's all that matters.

I LOVE that beautiful yellow 230 this AM! Two doses closer together created what was in effect a higher dose and look what happened! This tells me that he WILL respond to insulin but the dose needs to be high enough. Some people would suggest that every 8 hours dosing might be what he needs to get him moving but that's really hard to fit into a schedule if you work away from home etc.

There's a clue here though:
    In the 24 hours between yesterday AM and today AM he had 5.0 u + 5.2 u + 4.8 u = 15 u of insulin. That would be 7.5 u per dose if it was given BID. I certainly wouldn't suggest jumping up to that dose but I think this tells you that he might need 6+ u to get him going. He has a fair bit of resistance built up.

The other thing I was going to ask is how old is your bottle of ProZinc? Sometimes we can overlook a simple thing like that. :)

67. Kris & Teasel

Nice numbers yesterday - 2 yellows and 2 blues! Don't fret about this AM's red. It's a bounce. I see you've gone up to 5.5 u which is a good choice I think. Can you monitor today?

68. Misterbeesmom

Thanks kris for hanging in there with us.
    Just updated his ss, monitored today, and dosed early again.

69. Misterbeesmom

The pzi is very fresh. Its bcp bovine so i have to buy new bottle every 4 wks. perhaps it lasts longer but the mfctr says 4 wks after puncture. Pooey. Well if we keep going up in dosing we might actually get through a whole vial by then!

70. Kris & Teasel

Bounce numbers. Are you planning to try every 8 hours dosing for a bit? Might be worth a try if you can monitor frequently. I've read on here of others who've gone that route for a while to get the cat responding better and then they were able to resume BID dosing. I don't know enough about bovine PZI to know whether it's identical to ProZinc in its effect.

71. Misterbeesmom

I'll do the 8hr dose when i can yes. I dont know how long I can pull that off but I'm trying. As long as i can monitor.

Yeah I figured he'd bounce today. Silly pooper loves pinks!

72. Kris & Teasel

Hard to know what's happening. He'll have had three 5.5 u doses in 24 hours. That's a lot of insulin but he's stuck in pink. Could well be too much insulin looking like too little. If I was in that situation, I'd try to simplify it by going back to two doses a day of, say, 6 u AM and 6 u PM (or even the 5.5 u you've been giving) and I'd do a full (at least) every-two-hour-testing curve. That might reveal something that's being missed right now.

A lot of things gave been changed in the last few days:
    • 5 u BID on 11/22
    • TID dosing on 11/23
    • two doses 10 hours apart on 11/24
    • 5.5 u TID today.
    I'd reduce some of this complexity for a few cycles but give a high enough dose and do a full on curve, even every 1 hour testing if you're ambitious. That's the only way to fill in the picture - onset, nadir, duration, Somogyi, etc.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  73. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

I don't have any advice, but I sure do sympathize. Our bouncy kitties are such a challenge, we just have to keep our patience pants on and keep plugging away!

:bighug:

74. Misterbeesmom

He drank a ton of water overnight and peed an ocean. He's in the red And i am going insane once again. I dosed him at +9 and then saw your reply.

I'll do a curve today.

All of this really makes no sense to me in terms of dosing quantity. It seems no matter what i dose, its either too little or possibly too much ?(not sure aabout the latter.) and how much he might need and how he might respond depends on his mood, physiology, and the angle of the moon and what house venus is in. Its insane. I might as well give him no insulin at all at this rate and save us the aggravation. We had gone 24 hrs without insulin when we switched brands and guess where he was after 24 hrs wihtout - yup in the pinks.

I could call my vet but fat lot of good any of them have been. Diabetes and my unpredicatble boy are beyond them.

75. Misterbeesmom

Thanks! Its awfully hard isnt it !

76. Kris & Teasel

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with this, Jen. Has Mr. B. been tested for anti insulin antibodies or other conditions that raise his insulin requirement like acromegaly, etc. There's a forum on here for that and maybe those people would have better advice. From what I've read, they don't necessarily treat some of those conditions but just dose around them.

Meanwhile, it won't hurt to try BID dosing and a curve. Sometimes back to basics can help. Some kitties have been knocked back in dose and restarted. And then there's the other depot insulin, Levemir. You might get input from people on that forum who've used both Lantus and Levemir to see what their thoughts are.

I understand what you mean about having a cat that's beyond the vet's ability to comprehend. My vet is great but Teasel was beyond her ability to handle. I think she was relieved when I decided to come here to FDMB and figure it out for myself. She's still there in the background if I need her but at this point I could probably teach all the vets at that clinic more about diabetes than they could possibly know.

77. Kris & Teasel

Just putting this out there, Jen: I see that BCP PZI is a compounded insulin and I've read here that occasionally people have wondered about batch to batch differences in effectiveness. Seeing as you're at your wits' end to know what to do, would you consider putting out the cash for a vial of ProZinc to try for as long as it lasts (I get 2+ months out of a vial) to see if it's any better? You've just written that you feel as though you might as well be not giving any insulin to Mr. B. right now. Yes, ProZinc is more expensive but probably cheaper than more diagnostic testing by your vet. Worthwhile experiment I think.

78. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I like the idea of the curve. Sometimes changing things around (doses and times etc.) can make things muddier, not clearer.

As Kris says, you might look at the High dose forum and read the stickies, just to see if any of the symptoms sound familiar. But the forum itself is not at all active - most people with high dose kitties use Levemir (because it is reported to stick less at high doses) and post on the L insulin forums.

I am guessing he is just going to take longer, with a slow increase to higher doses to break through his resistance. He has been on several insulins and for a long time and I think resistance is a real possibility. There is a thread on insulin resistance on this forum somewhere - use the search function for ProZinc forum and insulin resistance.

79. Kris & Teasel

I've just had a look at your curve data, Jen, and if it was for some anonymous kitty I knew nothing about I'd say that kitty is responding but not enough because the dose needs to go up. He fluctuates up and down between yellow - I like those! - and pink and it's easy to see why your less frequent testing previously lead you to think he was stuck in pink. This curve exercise is a good one to carry out.

80. Kris & Teasel

Still following your SS. What can look like short duration of insulin can be too low a dose just as overly long duration can be caused by too high a dose. I see others on the main health forum have made some good suggestions along the lines of what I mentioned earlier.

81. Misterbeesmom

Speechless. I'm just speechless. What dropped mr b into high yellows yesterday isnt even budging him today. Drinking and peeing tons, even making griping sounds a bit. I'm just about done with this ride. I dont know what to say. Low doses dont work, high doses dont work. Do i need to to even higher?? Do i need to go lower? Restart the whole process?? I'm so sick of this. Why cant i break through this?? I'm dosing 3x a day recently. If it was too much insulin, his numbers would be hypo by now. If i dropped his dose by half i would probably be getting the same results. I am just smh.

I can bring him to my vet, for the bazillionth time, for help, but though they are great with other ailments, they havent been able to figure out deciphering mr b's diabetic issues.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  82. Kris & Teasel

Hi Jen,
    • You need a plan going forward because you've tried using dose changes and you're not getting anywhere. No point continuing with the TID dosing. I copied the info below from the Vetsulin website but it applies to all insulins. Teasel's curves on Lantus looked like this for well over a month. I kept saying to his vet that it was chronic rebound that had led to resistance. Leaving him at an (ineffective) dose for a week as per Lantus protocol only made it worse. She suggested a 48 hour halt to insulin with a plan to restart. He went into DKA in less than 24 hours. She was surprised by it happening so quickly. Restarting is a known technique but it has to be done cautiously while testing for ketones repeatedly. This method was mentioned the other day on the main forum in response to your post there. It's something you might want to try - or have your vet try in hospital.
    • If I was in your shoes, I'd really consider trying ProZinc. I've read that the compounded bovine PZI is closer in structure to feline insulin but what if your most recent vial is from a less effective batch (for whatever reason)? You started PZI on 09/26 and you said you change vial every 4 weeks. Where are you now - finishing your second, just starting your third? If you try this you're out the cost of one vial of ProZinc if it doesn't help. Much cheaper than rounds of vet testing if it does help.
    • Where on Mr. B.'s body are you injecting? The scruff is handy but absorption might not be optimal there.
    • Failing all the above, you could have Mr. B. tested for anti insulin antibodies or acromegaly. Sometimes vets will say that they never see issues like that and it's when an owner insists that the problem is revealed.
    Mr. B. needs you to be calm and willing to explore other options. If you keep doing the same thing over and over and it doesn't get results, something has to change. Food for thought ...
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

From the Vetsulin website - section for vets: http://www.vetsulin.com/vet/Cats_Monitoring_Insulin.aspx

Blood glucose curve
    Blood glucose measured in mg/dL
    Click on thumbnail for full image:

[​IMG]

Solution
    • Investigate cause, eg, Cushing’s disease, hyperprogesteronism, owner issues, injection issues, or use of the wrong type of syringe
    • Consider Somogyi overswing, which can present as persistent hyperglycemia for a few days following the hypoglycemic event

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  83. Kris & Teasel

More reading for when you feel like it:

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/discovering-reasons-underlying-difficult-control-diabetes-cats
    Note paragraphs on “Insulin-related Problems” and “Insulin Options”

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/discovering-reasons-underlying-difficult-control-diabetes-cats
    Go down half way to section on insulin resistance.

http://www.vetfolio.com/internal-me...ce-in-diabetic-patients-causes-and-management
    Note doses that mark insulin resistance in “Abstract” and relation of hyperthyroidism to insulin resistance. Mr. B. is hyperthyroid, isn’t he?
    Check out algorithm under “Management”.

http://www.vcaspecialtyvets.com/ckfinder/userfiles/files/Linda Jantzen/Insulin Resistance WVC.pdf
    Quite technical, covers dogs and cats.

http://todaysveterinarypractice.navc.com/consider-case-uncontrolled-diabetic-cat/
    Focuses on acromegaly.

84. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey Jen, I know this is tough. Kris has given some great suggestions. Have you taken a look at the high dose conditions? Any of the symptoms sound like Mr. B?

85. Kris & Teasel

86. Misterbeesmom

I appreciate all the info links you sent me. Thnx..i read them all.

I dont want to throw in the towel just yet on bcp pzi. Lantus is human recombinant and although on paper we had better control, he was a very unhappy cat. Granted, pzi is not lantus, but its human recombinant as well, so we might have that same problem. If bcp doesnt work out for us, i will consider trying pzi.

I dropped his dose way down, not knowing what the heck to do and the higher dose seemingly getting him panicking into the reds, though by no means do i feel confident with this. This morning i screwed up his shot.

He was very gripey yesterday and overnight. Wish i knew what that was about. Was going to call vet for appt but he has quieted down. Maybe the reds was liver panic and that made his liver hurt? Who knows? Gosh i wish he could tell me.

He's got the hyperactive thyroid and pancreatitis (mild, no symptoms like pain, nausea, etc.), so maybe its simply those reasons why we'll never get good control. I'm not going to put him through the tests and pay more money to see if he's acro, iaaa, etc, when the treatment will be the same either way. Understand over the past year we have seen specialists, several vets, and had tons of tests done. I've spent thousands. So unless there's a damn good reason to bring him to the vet, we're not going. He doesnt appear to fit the profile of any of the conditions mentioned with insulin resistance.

Sorry i'm rambling. I slept 3 hours last night.

87. Misterbeesmom

Wer'e dosing in the scruff. For months we were dosing around shoulders for better absorption (the rear is a no-go. He is very sensitive/sore in that area). I have seen no pattern that the shoulders were any better than the scruff.

The new bottle of bcp is our 3rd one and we had some yellows and blues on this bottle. We're about halfway through it. Just for the heck of it i wrote to bcp for their take on batch accuracy. Hearing that batches can vary is one thing, but is it really true is my concern. Mr b's bg numbers have been all over the place on lantus and bcp, so i'm not so sure the insulin bad batch theory can be used.

That insulin resistance graph is interesting. Some days mr b has looked like that, when other days he has a decent response. That goes for lower doses and higher ones.

I guess i got too aggressive with the dosing which has gotten him cranky and sore and into the reds. I can only guess. If this was any other condition, we'd be at the vet now getting answers, but his bg not making sense is not a new thing and they're not going to be able to help.

88. Misterbeesmom

Thanks rachel. Kris is great finding all that info..i dont think it sounds like mr b, and if i put him through the tests, it wouldnt change treatment. Its good to have that info though, to be aware.

89. Misterbeesmom

....and to add to confusion, he just had small stool with diarrhea. This is not typical for him. I had been giving him miralax recently and i think i threw him off. Maybe that is related to his gripeyness last night. I cant imagine it would increase his bg. Is that possible?

I have stopped the miralax!

90. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I can hear your pain and sorrow, all the way over the miles and Internet, Jen. You are doing the most possible - you have changed insulins, you have raised carefully, you have tried different approaches.

I do think the experimenting with different times and doses could have muddied things up. I think dosing early can help when done in a systematic way - dividing the dose you are giving into 3 doses, every eight hours, as long as the numbers are rising. But I do think it is helpful to do it systematically. Just like some cats react negatively to sliding scale or tiny increases in doses or bouncing when the dose is raised, switching around the shot time can cause more frustration.

If he were mine, I would either raise the dose by 0.25 every six cycles, starting with 5.5 where you go some decent numbers. (IMHO, raising by 0.5 is too much with the occasional yellows/blues he throws) or try the TID - every eight hours if rising, maybe 1.5 units every eight hours to start.

One interesting thing on the spreadsheet: changes made really fast may made have made things wonky: 11/24 dosed 4.8 at +8 230. Then he went down to 143, setting up a bounce. 5.2 at +10. Next cycle to 5.5. That's a lot of changes in a short time.

Misterbeesmom and Kris & Teasel like this.
  91. Misterbeesmom

Thanks sue. Just had myself a good cry. I would rather have lost mr b to something sudden, than to see him decline all these months, despite my best efforts to help him. He's such a good boy and deserves better. Its very hard.

I think you're right. In reflection i believe too i became a bit too aggressive. But hindsight is 20/20. At the time i thought a strong push was what he needed to get unstick. I was wrong.

My plans are similar to what you stated. If i go with frequent dosing, it,ll be 2u or lower. Slower increases, etc. I'm actuallh thinking of giving him 2u for a bit, sort of starting over, even if dose at 12/12.

Anyhoo i want to share what the folks at BCP PZI told me today. I emailed them about my concern regarding batch variance. They explained while yes there could be slight variances, they have strong quality control, and its always the same pharmacist makes the insulin. I told them about our recent run of 400's, and although i emphasized that mr b has been unregulated for a long time and this run of reds could be my fault, they are sending me a free vial to see if there might be a factor with our current vial. Again, i dont think i have a 'bad' vial, and even if i did, and i tapped this new one after i get it tomorrow, he's so all over the place anyways I dont know if we could even establish that yes it was a weaker solution or whatever. Anywaaaaaays what i'm getting as that was a nice thing of them to do, and they got back to me right away about my question.

Also, in case this comes up, it has been suggested that their u100 formula has better performance in terms of longevity, later nadir, etc. i've seen this claim on some diabetes websites. For the record, they said they have seen no evidence of that. Both formulas work equally well, they said, and a unit is a unit.

92. Kris & Teasel

A good cry can purge a lot of mental toxins, Jen. I feel bad that you're having such a hard time trying to help your beloved Mr. B. Good idea to contact the people who make BCP PZI and that was very nice of them to send you a new vial. I agree that it could be hard to determine whether it's an insulin issue with Mr. B.'s unpredictability. Sue gave you some good ideas to try. If you do a type of 'start over' it's a good idea to do more urine ketone testing just in case.

We're still here if you need to vent or want input. :)

93. Misterbeesmom

You've all been a big help. I appreciate it.
    I ordered more urine sticks yesterday! I got ones that show even more stuff than glucose and ketones.

94. Misterbeesmom

Well its 2am and i'm starting to think something else is in play.

Its been +7 and he is 449. Awful. I had dropped to a very low 2u with plans to restart slowly. But i just gave him 4u now. Praying i'm not making it worse somehow by going off schedule but this is intolerable. He drank soooooo much water, has been peeing every couple hours or less, and when he's this high its really obvious he feels dreadful.

However when i went to clean his litter box there was a small dollop of diarrhea, like what he had yesterday. At this point i question the chance of impaction, so we'll be calling the vet in 6 hrs when they open. Cross fingers for us please.

95. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I feel your frustration. I'm in a similar situation with Chuck and just yesterday got beyond frustrated! I even got to the point where I thought about taking him to the vet and telling them to get him into a good level and I'll pick him up once he's there. Of course I'd never really do that but man it was a tempting idea. Instead I took a nap. I hope he's not impacted and I do hope you get better control and some peace of mind. :bighug:

96. Misterbeesmom

Omg i have had that same notion about dropping off kitty at vet and 'call me when you've got him regulated' but of course we know it doesnt work that way lol. I wish it did, i wish it did.

I cant get back to sleep. But mr b is napping, right in the middle of the bed the little bedhog.

Thanks steph

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  97. Misterbeesmom

TG we have a yellow at +5 holy crap pardon my russian but jeeeeeeeez!!! So thankful., confused as always but thankful.

98. Kris & Teasel

This is crazy-making for you, Jen. Bright side: that yellow says he can come down even if it's for a nanosecond. Keep us posted.

99. Misterbeesmom

TG no constipation-obstruction. They ran some bloodwork, results in couple days.

So relieved. And look at the little bugger in yellow. I wanted to dose him now to get back on a more normal schedule but i'm afraid of freaking out his liver or whatever mess i created the other day by being too aggressive. I'll work it out somehow.

100. Kris & Teasel

What? ... What?? Two yellows??? :woot:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.