MY CAT ATTACKED ME

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Angela C Wright, Dec 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angela C Wright

Angela C Wright New Member

Hello.
    This morning when I was about to give RODNEY his shot. We heard the girl cat outside fighting with something. RODNEY was up on loft (up top with me). When he heard Lucille (the girl cat outside) scream he ran to front window. I opened the door to run the other cat off. RODNEY jumped on my face and started scratching me. I knocked him off of my head. He jumped on my leg. I got him off of me and ran 2 My neighbors house. Thats where I am now. I called the vet. Left message. He had seen RODNEY on the 14th. Diabetes out of remission. BG 494. STARTED BACK ON 3 UNITS VETSULIN. Went back on 18th. BG was 306. He had really only been getting 1 shot per day because he won't let give them 2 him. st the kid called. Anyway I asked how much he would] charge 2 come get him. He said we don't normally do that. I told him. THIS IS NOT NORMAL. So he said let him get some things done. He will call me and come get him. Sedate him and put him 2 sleep.

I CANT BELIEVE THIS.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

That type of behavior havens sometimes. A cat will get excited by outside activity.
    Have you discussed with your vet about behavioral modification drugs? My Snuffles set me to doce for a deep bit and later to the ER for stitches. He is on generic Prozac (Fluoxetine) and buspirone. He has not bitten me since or got excited. I mix them to his food. After to bite that resulted in the ER for stitches I arranged with the vet for an EU. However, the next day I reconsidered and vet agreed to add the buspirone to the Fluoxetine that was started after the first bite.

I do not know your situation but if you feel EU is the solution I have not problem with that decision.

Teresa & Buddy likes this.
  3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Please hold off on the EU until your vet evaluates him. I don't want you to make a decision you will regret later. He was overstimulated by the cat outside and there are medications that can help his behavior.

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Also, 3IU BID of Vetsulin is too high a starting dose (maximum recommended by the manufacturer is 2IU BID) . There is the possibility that it might be producing big blood sugar swings/bounces and that can make a cat feel really bad (in addition to possible risk of hypo) and that, too, might be feeding into the odd behaviour. Perhaps ask the vet about giving a smaller dose - or switching to a smaller dose of a gentler insulin like Lantus.

Mogs

5. Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall

Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall Member

That's called redirected aggression and it's not uncommon. Your cat heard fighting noises and was unable to respond to what he perceived as a threat so he took out his frustration and anxiety on you simply because you were there. It's not personal. Give him some time to calm down, try to evaluate what created the problem and take steps to correct it. Having experienced a few cat attacks myself, I'm sorry you got hurt but it would be a shame to kill the cat if this was a one time thing.

6. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

When there is something like a cat fight or a cat screaming else where, stay away from your cat. He is not wanting to hurt you, only responding to what is going on.

7. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

I agree with everyone else. Please give him a chance to calm down as he was overstimulated. No reason to put him down for being frightened. :(

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My cat Julie had misplaced aggression toward my father in law. Julie lived with him for a few weeks when there was a storm one night with a clap of thunder so loud it shook the house. As soon as it happened she looked at him as if he did it and growled and from that moment on she violently attacked him, much like you described, any time he walked in the room. They gave Julie to us and said either we take her or she will be put outside.

Julie sent me to the hospital once when I tried to stop her from attacking one of our other cats. I seriously thought she was going to have to go. Thank God she calmed down (3 feliway diffusers) just before my son was born. I was scared she would hurt the baby but she for the most part got her s&$t together. She's still high strung but usually fine. I'm sorry you had to experience that. It sounds really scary.

Ps she likes my father in law now and tries to hug him whenever he comes over. He's still weary of her. Lol

9. Ilianna and Socrates

Ilianna and Socrates Member

Please reconsider!! A diabetic cat goes through a lot,and sometimes is not his usual self... I am sorry you got hurt ,but PLEASE give his a chance! He is a member of your family!!! DON'T kill him for one bad moment,for God's sake!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.