My First New Vet and Giving Insulin for the First Time

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ettevyva, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ettevyva

ettevyva Member

I went to the new vet in Williamsburg after Venita called to say there was an opening today. The new vet used a meter she had to test (I forget the name but I think it started with a "C") plus used the same drop of blood to test on the meter Shellie sent that arrived today. On mine it was 250 and on hers it was (I think) 320. She wasn't sure which meter was right. She said when Espresso's insulin comes in the mail, to come back and she will teach me what to do. She examined Espresso's teeth and they were really bad in the back. She will need to pull a few teeth she said later on.
    My son was with me, which calms Espresso more since Espresso favors him more and my female cat favors me more. When we were in the vehicle to leave, the new vet came running out to tell us the young staff member that was in with us while she was examining Espresso has a diabetic cat and was running home to get three shots of insulin for us to get started for once a day....until my insulin comes for twice a day. She seems to think he may only need insulin until he goes in to remission (after she takes care of his teeth) which she thinks going into remission may not take a long time since his blood sugar was not extremely high in the office. (depending on which meter was right).
    I have a Freestyle Lite at home that I used on me when my hypoglycemia was bad from Hashimoto until my D.O. doctor taught me how to keep my own blood sugar normal with diet and lots of protein. Plus the blood strips are not very affordable. The vet said to use both meters at home and see how much lower he tests and how different each is. I let Shellie know I just received her package before the appt. and took it with me. Shellie looked up the Freestyle Lite One Touch and said the site said it's NOT reliable for cats if it's over 200, but I'll do what the doctor said.

When the Vet assistant got back with the needles containing some insulin in each, (from his own diabetic cat) the doctor told me how to do it, and gave me the shot and watched while I did it. She said NOT to test Espresso's blood sugar more than once a day the next two days until I get back in to see her. If I get enough blood for both meters, that would be great, but if I don't, at least test one and let her know the results. She has an email she checks often up until 9pm at night. The three shots are already loaded (it looks like 1/2 way to the number 5 or two notches). She, also, gave him antibiotic drops for his teeth. Confirmed to keep him on the low carb foods, the antibiotics the emergency vet gave in case he has a urine infection; or the Purina DM which she likes. (but I'll continue with the Fancy Feist or Wellness low carbs, and some tuna water.)

The new vet complimented how "easy" Espresso was and let her do everything, even though he was scared. She is so personable and caring. She's the best Vet I've ever been to !!! Bless everyone who is supportive and helping ! I'm not quite as stressed out as I was before today's appointment even though I am still rather apprehensive. I'm so willing to learn to keep my kitties healthy !!!

2. Amy & Papaya (GA)

Amy & Papaya (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad you are able to home test. Please, please, please make sure you test every time before you give any insulin. If you get a reading of below 200 post here and ask for help before deciding whether to go ahead and give the shot, and be prepared to test more if you do give the shot at that number. This is very important to keep your cat safe, especially if his blood sugar is not that high to begin with.

3. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

If it is scarf and barf you can slow the eating down by spreading the food out on a flat plate.

I agree with Amy & papaya, please test at least before every shot as it could be very bad if you shoot and espresso is too low.. You don't want a hypo.

Wendy

4. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Dianna,
    How is Expresso doing with testing and treats? Very glad I woke up to the board being up and running. Expresso was the first thing I thought of this a.m.~
    Glad you got your insulin and are posting on the board as there are MANY more experienced folks on here than me. As I have discussed before, with Bean going into the 30 before her remission, testing is soo important so I just hope Expresso is letting you get that done!
    Paw hugs coming your way,
    Shellie ;-)

5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

How are you doing this morning?

Sounds like the new vet is one you can work with! That's always a good sign.

So glad the Board is back up today. Withdrawal symptoms were starting to set in. ;-)

6. ettevyva

ettevyva Member

Still struggling with this. Poked his ear 8+ times and NOTHING even after warming and massaging his ear and watching videos. I'm wondering if it's, maybe, because he's a little dehydrated. Also having problems giving him the liquid antibiotic. I asked the vet for pills since I can do pills better, but she said liquid works better. When she "showed me" how easy it is - Espresso spit most of it out and it ended up everywhere. It's for his infected teeth, plus he just finished pills for possible urine infection (from the nightmare of a visit at the emergency vet Saturday that was horrible and wanted to put the cat to sleep and other trauma, but I wouldn't!!!) . This new vet said "Oh Well, at least he got a little (of the liquid antibiotic for his teeth she prescribed)". She didn't prescribe pills. Still have the liquid. Tonight I mixed it with tuna juice and gave him little portions at a time instead of squirting the awful tasting stuff down his throat that he won't swallow and then hides for hours not feeling well. The vet added a third antibiotic since Espresso has diarrhea. (this time pills). I'm not starting it til Monday when I KNOW the normal vets offices are open. No more nightmare experiences at emergency vets in case he doesn't do okay on the new antibiotic. The vet tried poking his ears several times and squeezing out blood with no success either. Then did get some after several different pokes and tries. Espresso was pretty devastated. She's a personable vet and very patient, but I'm still having problems with this.

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

It can help considerably to warm the ear before attempting to test. A damp washcloth, microwaved 15 seconds or so, test on your arm that its not too hot, put in a plastic bag, hold against the ear and massage, then test.

And if you absolutely must get blood, you may aim for the vein. Just be prepared to get a droplet on a clean fingernail for testing and blot the gusher firmly to reduce bruising and scabbing.

8. ettevyva

ettevyva Member

I did warm his ear with a baby sock with rice that had been in the microwave and tested on my arm (like a baby's bottle). When that didn't work to help draw blood, I used a warmed wet cloth. When that didn't work, I massaged his ear until a small vein popped up (like someone showed me in the vet's waiting room. I quit trying to poke by hand and instead used the lancet mechanical device on the highest setting of 4. It went through the ear, but no blood. I've tried the places the videos and photos showed, I've taken a flashlight and found a vein and hit it, NOTHING. His ears are very thin. The veins are much thinner than a hair. After all this and the time to test several times, Espresso is very upset and so am I. Lately all he does is hide in the bedroom. He no longer looks out the door, comes in the living room, nor any of his "normal" behavior anymore. He hides.

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Many of us stop at 3 tries and come back to it later. It may help to give him a low carb treat after trying.

Neosporin ointment with pain relief may be applied a few minutes before testing, then wiped off. This may reduce some of the annoyance of being tested.

10. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Picture of the "sweet spot" you are aiming for.

It takes time to become good at getting blood. It's a skill you will develop with repeated attempts.

3 tries, give a treat and come back again to try later is a good method. Always give a treat, successful poke or not.

Attached Files:

11. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Ok read these tips and try as many as possible https://docs.google.com/document/d/13c_CPZVKz27fD_6aVbsguadJKvjSrSAkD7flgPPhEag/pub

Quick thoughts in addition to warming the ear:
    Ditch the lancet device and try it freehand - it will give you more control
    Get a bigger lancet 28g or 29g
    Get something hard behind the ear to press against
    Make sure you always treat after each test - and stop if unsuccessful after 3 tries (and still give treats!)

Have you tried pill pockets for the meds? Also ask the vet if they will add flavouring to the liquid.

Wendy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.