My First Rodeo!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jenna and George, May 10, 2021.

1. Jenna and George

Jenna and George New Member

Hi everyone! I have a newly diagnosed kitty, George. I've run a farm for 20 years and I've had lots of on-the-job veterinary training, but this is my first diabetic. We just started insulin on Friday and I got a glucometer on Saturday, so I don't have much data yet, but I have some dosing questions. I have a call in to my vet but it's Monday and I probably won't hear back from him until after closing. I have great respect for your experience, though, so maybe you could tell me what I should be doing here. I'm sure you all have forgotten more about cat diabetes than many vets know.

George is 13 years old.

He was diagnosed Friday 4/30. I had him to the vet for blood work because of excessive drinking and peeing, a bit of weight loss (he could stand to lose some) and a bit of a vomit that morning. I honestly was thinking kidney failure issues, but blood all came back great... except for a BG of 386.

I took away his kibble (which was just left out for browsing) and he's eating only his regular Friskies classic pate now and have added some FF classic. He and his old lady friend eat a small amount 4X a day because she is a little 17 year old with few teeth and she won't eat much at one sitting. My vet said this was ok? The only treats they get are some bits of turkey breast, usually in the evening.

Back to the story. They were out of insulin Friday so they told me to bring him back Monday 5/3 and leave him for the day. Well Friday night I found him really constipated. This wasn't the first time I've had to take him to the vet to be "cleaned out" (last time was about a year ago, he gets miralax as needed). So we did that Saturday 5/2 and I talked to the vet on 5/3 and we decided to wait a few days and retest him to make sure he wasn't just reading high because of his giant stuck turd and stress. We both thought it was unlikely, but my animals will always peg the weird-****-o-meter.

Retested 5/7 with BG of 527. He stayed at the vet all day and it only came down into the 400s after 2U so my vet told me to give Prozinc 2U every 12 hrs and bring him back in 2 weeks for a recheck.

I gave him 2u Friday night at 9PM and 2u Saturday morning at 9AM. I was really uncomfortable with just shooting blind so Saturday afternoon I got a ReliOn Premier glucometer. It's what they had at my Walmart. I don't have a spreadsheet yet because I've only done a couple tests but here's what I have so far:

Saturday 5/8 PM: 141, gave 2u
    Sunday 5/9 AM: 147, gave 2u
    Sunday 5/9 PM: 414, gave 2u
    Monday 5/10 AM: 57 & 61 (tested him twice), did NOT shoot

So now that I've been sitting here reading I'm thinking maybe I should have only shot on the 414??? Or at least not given as much as 2u on the 141 and 147? But then boom with that 414. I suppose I could have done a fur shot that morning but I'm experienced with shots and I thought we got a good one. But anything is possible. I'm so glad I had the glucometer and didn't shoot him 2u on a 61!!

So I know it's early, and I am going to talk to my vet, but do you think 2u is too high?? And what, if anything, am I doing wrong here?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Yes 2 units is too much. The recommended starting dose is 1 unit twice a day. I would lower to 1 unit. If it proves to not be enough than it can get raised in 0.25-0.5 increments.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

4. Jenna and George

Thank you. That's what I thought too. I just tested him again and got 174 but he had a bit of FF at 9AM and Noon, so I expect that.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. Jenna and George

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

There will be lots more tests to come. Might as well set it up. If you get a preshot under 200, skip for now. Better he go a little high rather than too low. Can you set up a signature? Click on your name at the top right corner and choose signatur. Add info such as your pets name, date diagnosed, insulin type, food you're feeding, meter you use, and any other health concerns. Then save

Deb & Wink likes this.
  7. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Lots of useful "Sticky" or pinned posts at the top of this ISG forum for Prozinc.