My Kitty was diagnosed with diabetes this Monday.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Raelene Rodriguez, Feb 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raelene Rodriguez

Raelene Rodriguez New Member

Hello!
    My 16 year old cat was just diagnosed with diabetes this Monday. Prior to this, for three weeks, he was experiencing increased urination, increased thirst, weakened rear legs, and fatigue. His paws were also sticky from the glucose in the urine, litter was getting stuck to them. Eating and defecating normally. Took him in to the vet for the first time ever on Monday, took a blood panel and his glucose levels were at 550. They had to sedate him and shave his neck to get the blood test.The vet prescribed him with Vetsulin, 2 units in the morning and 2 more units at night. I gave him his first insulin injection today this morning. Also, the vet said for possible UTI, amoxicillin and nsaids were also prescribed for 2 weeks in case of infection. Kitty is also starting on wet prescribed food and he actually really enjoying it! he used to just eat senior dry kibble prior to this. Kitty has been okay, I took a week off of work to care for him and just to process this whole thing, he is really dear to my heart. I've had him since I was 10 and I'm 26 now.
    I would just like any suggestions from everyone and advice, also any thoughts on what the vet prescribed.

Thank you!
    Raelene

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Raelene and Kitty and welcome to the forum
    First of all, I think 2 units is too high a dose to start with. I unit is the normal starting dose.
    I am not a vetsulin user but will tag @Critter Mom to help you with that. She should be on later today.

I would test the urine for ketones if I were you. Did the vet mention them at diagnosis?
    It is a urine test and you need a bottle of Ketostix from Walmart or a pharmacy. You dip the test strip into the urine and read it exactly 15 seconds later against the colours on the side of the bottle. Anything above a trace needs vet attention.
    I am suggesting testing for ketones because at the moment Kitty is unregulated and may have a possible UTI.....

I would recommend home testing the blood glucose to keep Kitty safe. It sounds daunting but it isn’t and both you and Kitty will get used to it very quickly.
    I would recommend buying a ReliOn glucose meter from Walmart. you don’t need your vets permission to home test and it is the best way to not only keep Kitty safe but to see how the insulin is working.
    Here is a link to home testing https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Also a link to useful information to new members. Special attention to the hypo kit which needs to be set up early on.
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-how-you-can-help-us-help-you.216696/

Keep asking questions, there is a lot to learn in the early days but it does get easier.
    Brin

3. Raelene Rodriguez

Hi Brin,
    Thank you so much for your reply. I am going to only give Kitty one unit in the morning and one unit at night from now on, I also thought that was a bit much for starters. Also, I will purchase the home testing kit from Walmart this weekend for sure!
    The vet did not mention anything about a urine test or ketones. Should I switch vets? I wouldn't mind at all considering this was just the first vet I went to in my town but there are many others!
    Again, thanks so much. The vet wants kitty to go back next Thursday to recheck the levels.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi Raelene,
    That is great you are going to start home testing! Well done!
    A lot of vets do not know much about feline diabetes. If you like the vet otherwise, you could stay there. If you are not happy, find another one. You need someone who will work with you as a partner in helping Kitty on this journey.
    Now that you have the insulin, you don’t really need to go back to have the level checked if you are home testing.
    We can help you with dosing. Up to you.
    looking forward to seeing you here.:)
    Bron.

5. Raelene Rodriguez

Great, I’ll keep that in mind. I ordered the urine test which will arrive tomorrow and I’m going to get the home glucose level test today at Walmart. I’ll test him today before his night insulin dose. I would like help with dosing please. By the way, the vet says it’s okay to reuse the needle two times, is that safe?

thanks,
    Raelene

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

No, please don’t reuse the needles. It will contaminate the insulin and the insulin won’t last as long and the needle blunts with each use and will hurt Kitty.

7. Raelene Rodriguez

Yes, that’s what I was expecting. Thanks!!! I will never reuse.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.