My little buddy Crash has cancer

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Linda and Crash (GA), Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda and Crash (GA)

Linda and Crash (GA) Member

Hello Dear Friends –

I have been lurking on the board and researching for several days, but have been too sad to post.

Crash seems to be entering his last days. Oh, how those words brings tears to my eyes.

He has brought so much into our lives, and even touched so many others with his puppy-cat personality. He has been the best cat I’ve ever had, bringing joy, purrs and lizards to us and putting up with so much over his ~17 years.

He has survived malnutrition, abandonment, a broken tail, a broken jaw, the neighbor’s killer dog, arthritis, allergies, diabetes and CRF, but cancer is one battle he cannot overcome.

I didn’t even know cats got skin cancer until recently. It seems to have come on pretty slowly over the last year or two. At first I thought he was just beating up his nose breaking into the timer dishes. And then, I thought maybe it wasn’t healing because of the diabetes. But, as it got worse, and nothing could heal it, I suspected cancer. His nose has gone through several changes in appearance. From cuts, to bleeding, to scabs, to normal, then back through the cycle again and again. Now the nose is beginning to disappear, look bumpy, scabbed, and misshapen. It seems only a matter of time until it will be too much for him, but I pray he tells me when that time is come.

He does not appear to be in too much discomfort, but I will pay special attention to him so that he does not have pain. It is the last gift I can give this beautiful cat that has given me so much. He is still enjoying his daily walks outside, napping, eating and purring, but I know his days are numbered.

I did want to thank all of you for helping us through so much in our fight against diabetes. It has been almost three years since DX, and two and a half since he went OTJ. I gave him his monthly test today, and he was a 90. Oh how sweet he was as we did this test. Purring and snuggling the rice sock. Enjoying the snackuses after. I remember so many long nights together working through the diabetes. I cried then, and I cry even more now. I will miss him so much.

I come to the board as often as possible, and marvel that so many of you are still here – helping, consoling and giving back so much to this community. I will never forget all the love I’ve found here, or all the wonderful people I’ve met.

I will be back to post once we get through this difficult time. At least the diabetes did not take him, and we’ve had a couple more wonderful years together. I could not ask for a better cat. He will always be my favorite. Always.

Thank you all again – for everything. May your days with your special sugar kitties and civvies be long and filled with much love.

All our best, Linda and Crash

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Linda, I am so sorry to hear about Crash. What a great time the two of you have had. It is so clear through your words how much he has been and is loved. When I read about a kitty who is sick or dying, I am always sad. But I think of the many cats abandoned and unloved and know that ours are the lucky ones. How wonderful for Crash that every touch has been one of love, that he has been well fed and well cared for.

I hope you two can enjoy your last weeks together. What a great Mom you have been!

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I'm saddened by Crash's cancer. You are an excellent caretaker. I see that Crash has a white muzzle and white cats can get skin cancer from sun exposure.

4. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

(((Linda))) (((Crash)))

I am so sorry to read this news. I just went back and revisited Crash's OTJ condo linked in your signature. Lots of memories of happier times there.

I am grateful to hear that he is still enjoying his walks outside. I know that you will treasure the time that you have together. I will be thinking of both of you.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I am very sorry to read this. May the time you have left together be filled with love and joy.

6. Anyname

Anyname Member

I lost my first kitty to nose and ear skin cancer. She was white with a pink nose. We lived in the southern tip of Australia and the sun is a problem for the cats with no pigmentation in their nose and ears. (ozone layer depletion) It was a long time ago for me but I recently sent a picture of Snowball to another member of FDMB. Do you know if there is anything you can do to slow the progression of the disease? Has it spread throughout her system? Sadly they cannot live for ever - it's so so difficult. I made sure I never got another cat with a pink nose cos of the harsh Australian sun. LB has a brown nose but he never sits in the sun coz he has thick coat. Many pet owners are encouraged to put sun block on their kitties in Australia. I'm so sorry you have to see her deal with this her final journey.

Marilyn

7. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

[​IMG]

(((((linda))))) (((((crash)))))

reading the subject line on your post took my breath away. i'm so sorry, linda.
    crash has been through a lot in his lifetime. he's was lucky to find such a wonderful momma bean to nurse him through all the rough patches.
    whatever time is left is so very special.

sending virtual hugs,
    scritches and headbutts for crash...
    the two of you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

8. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

I'm so sorry to hear this. What did the biopsy show? Have you spoken to your vet or an oncologist about palliative care? There is a vaccine treatment for melanoma in dogs that is used with (anecdotal) good results in cats -- if the diagnosis was melanoma, I'd speak to an oncologist as this may give you some more quality time with your little guy.

Please keep us posted.

9. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Oh no, Linda. May you enjoy great joy with Crash in the time he decides to stay with you.

10. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry to hear about Crash. Having recently been through a cancer diagnosis for Gandalf and seen his fairly rapid decline, I know how difficult this news is.

I agree with Jess about palliative care, the aim of which would be to keep him comfortable. That might include a steroid and even if it means his diabetes might come back, it may be worth it. It was helpful to Gandalf and along with pain med gabapentin, gave us some quality time together. I don't know if it would be helpful in Crash's case, but we also continued acupuncture, which he had been treated with for arthritis. I don't know exactly what it did for him, but his last treatment allowed him to have his last good day with me. I believe it helped his pain considerably as he was more himself after treatment.

We're here if you need us. (((((Linda)))))

11. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

So sad to read this about your precious Crash. Sending prayers that you and Crash have a lot more time together and when it is time for Crash to leave it is peaceful and in your arms. Thinking of you and understanding and knowing how hard this is to live with day to day.

12. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Prayers and good wishes for your little Crash.
    Dana

13. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

((((Linda))))

I'm so sorry to read this. May whatever time you and Crash have together be filled with joy and long lasting memories.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

14. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I am sorry to read this .. I hope that crash has many good days ahead of him and that is it quality time with you ..

15. Louieorangetabby

Louieorangetabby Member

Hi there~ I'm new to this group, but marvel at the kindness and support I see (and have received).
    I wish you and your dearest kitty much extraordinary grace and love these next days you have together. How blessed you have both been to have each other!
    hugs,
    Tracy & Louie

16. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

What sad news. My heart and tears go out to you. Keeping you both in my prayers.
    God bless,
    jeanne

17. Linda and Crash (GA)

Linda and Crash (GA) Member

Thank you all so much for your kind words, hugs, love and prayers. We really appreciate it all.

Watching him now, laying in his bed, he looks so peaceful. I don't know how much more time we have together, but I will treasure each day.

Crash loved sleeping outside on his "sunshine step" and spent almost every day out there. I wish I knew then that skin cancer was possible. At least those of you reading this post now know it too. Thank you Anyname, I think the So. California sun is probably as damaging as Australia's. So sorry to hear of your loss also. Sometimes we learn things too late.

I will try to keep Crash as comfortable as possible in these last days/weeks. It seems to be progressing pretty quickly. Thank you Jess and Vicky for your suggestions. So sorry to hear about Gandalf. He was very special.

We are going to see a homeopathic vet on Friday and see if she has anything that can help him remain comfortable. She is in a clinic with other regular vets, and was my alternate vet, so if a standard medical treatment is suggested, we can do it there also. My regular vet will not treat him for cancer without a biopsy, but I don't think he will make it through the surgery, so at this point, comfort is the goal. I believe she would give me pain meds, and will get those when needed. I think the nose is beginning to be blocked as his sneezing is increasing. I am hoping the pain is minimal, but I think it will increase soon.

Any ideas on pain management would be appreciated. The cancer is eating his nose, and there are lesions under and on top of the top lip.

Thank you all again for your love and hugs. Will keep you updated as I can. Linda and (((Crash)))

18. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

((( Linda )))

Linda, I'm so sorry to see this sad news. Don't be hard on yourself, cats love to bask in the sun.
    I pray that you have more time together than you think and I know the two of you will treasure
    each one.

19. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

((Linda)) So sad. I know how much you love Crash. Seems our little furbabies can get everything we can. I am sorry you are facing this and hope you get some ideas on your next vet visit.

20. DEF

DEF Member

You must be going through pure agony trying to deal with this painful diagnosis. So many doubts about what is the right thing to do can overwelm us but I know all your decisions will be based on the tremendous love you have for Crash. Our babies count on us for so much and we have to be strong even when our hearts are breaking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.