Mystery diagnostics

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Jen and Milo P., Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen and Milo P.

Jen and Milo P. Member

Ok, Milo's spreadsheet will hopefully be attached at the end of this message.

So, At 8.5 units we are getting flat numbers in the 300s on Lantus, with no end in sight of how much we can increase and increase his dosage. I am trying to figure out if there is a link to any of his other current problems that may be causing him to not react properly to the insulin being injected. Currently he is deaf, has food allergies, and then dx with diabetes last sept. Now has also developed many other issues but those are from the unregulated diabetes. Things to consider here at Acromegaly, Cushings, IAA, which I think it may be, and I am looking to see if his allergies or deafness can link us to why he may be resistant to the insulin. Any suggestions are welcome.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... utput=htmljmflake

Private messageWebsite

2. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

I read your post over in Feline Health and saw that Carolyn is your good friend. I am sure she has recognized/gone over all the things that any of us would think of/suggest.

May I just ask tho - just because I'm nosy/curious and we'd like to get to know you :mrgreen:

How old is your kitty? How much does he weigh? Has he gained any weight? Is he a big guy? Does he have any loud breathing at all? Notice any respiratory distress at all at any time? Any problems with jumping up high? Any concerns whether he has pain in his hind end or legs?

We hope we can be a support to you. I"m so happy you have Carolyn in your corner. I think getting tested for IAA/acro is really your best bet right now. Just looking at very simple basics - and yes this could fit alot of cats so I do mean simple - but still - Milo is a male kitty on increasingly large doses of Lantus and is resistant to those increases and is eating a lo carb canned food. Just right there - I think the easiest and best thing to do would be to test for those 2 issues. It could answer ALOT of questions and give you some peace of mind too.

We look forward to hearing back from you! cat_pet_icon

3. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Welcome to the high dose "big gulpers" club! Tell us more about your kitty!

Just wanted to let you know I can't open your spreadsheet. Check over in the tech forum and hopefully you can find a topic that explains how to create it and then link it to your signature.

The testing Patti mentioned is pretty simple, just a blood test, shipped to Michigan State U lab on ice, drawn on a Monday, set up on Wed, answer by Friday evening or Monday. There are links to information about it in the stickies at the top of this forum. Most of us have gotten resistance from our vets ("you're wasting your money"), but .... here we are.

Feel free to ask away. :D

4. Jen and Milo P.

Jen and Milo P. Member

cat_pet_icon
    Hey Patty, thanks for your reply. Yeah CArolyn has been a great resource to have and I dont know what I would have done without her. She has defintealy been here with me throughout this journey. Milo went today to the vet to get tested for IAA and Acro. The vet was very supportive and quite impressed with the data that has been gathered over the past month or so, including dose increases, etc.

More info on Milo aka. Pirahna..lol.. Nickname given by carolyn I think. He is 8 years old, and loves to eat, he was about 15-17 pounds up until the past few months where he has gone down to 12 pounds as of today. He has lost almost a pound in the past month alone, but i think that can be attributed to the switch from dry to wet alone. Not to mention his uncontrolled diabetes. We are still not seeing numbers that we would like to and I have just increased his dosage to 9 units of Lantus twice a day. He does snore, cant say he has breathing problems, but is a loud sleeper. He has serious trouble jumping since he has Severe neuropathy due to uncontrolled diabetes for many months. I honestly dont think he is in pain, because he can move fast when there is chicken at stake. Right now the only thing I can do is continue to test, and adjust his dosage, aggressively. Of course I have carolyn behind me, and it seems the vet is supportive as well. I will most likely be switching him to Levimir next month since i just replaced his vile of lantus last night.

Thanks so much for replying and talk to you soon, Jen

5. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Hi Jen and welcome!

Glad you have the support and help of Carolyn (just beware that she really is a little odd and doesn't even know how to spell her own name correctly). :lol:

Good job getting the testing done-- a diagnosis may not be what you want to hear, but it does help to know why your kitty is so much "thirstier" than normal.

cat_pet_icon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.