name of pain med suggestions pls?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anyname, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyname

Anyname Member

LB has to see the vet today. He's not eating much and he threw up a fair bit of brown runny goo this morning. This has happened before - the last time the vet gave him that dreadful appetite stimulant that made him hyperactive and jumping out of his skin. I won't allow it this time. He's been "off" for a few days. I can only assume he's in pain. I've got metacam but have never used it. What is safe for cats to help them thru these "off" episodes. I am fairly sure he was in pain last nite. I think he may have episodes of mild pancreatitis but have no evidence of it. The last time this happened the blood test didn't show it to be the case but vet said it was still possible he has attacks of it.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I believe they use buprenorphine for pain relief (ex pancreatitis), also Fentanyl (comes in a patch, too, used after surgery).

3. nwnews

nwnews Member

HI - I would ask vet for Buprenex for pain relief. I would not give Metacam - it has a bad reputation for causing ulcers and kidney damage in cats (it almost killed my cat Sitka by causing a bleeding ulcer). Also for vomitting you can try zofran (its an antinausea med used by humans) that can be obtained from a compounding pharmacy with a rx from your vet. I sure hope that your kitty starts feeling better soon.

4. Anyname

Anyname Member

Thanks for the info. It's better to know in advance. He just tested 70 for bg, coz he's not eating enough. He was 288 at amps so I gave him his regular dose but then he vomited and has eaten little since! I won't use the metacam as I have read about it many times. Trouble is the vets seem to find some other crud that I don't know about. The appetite stimulant was a nightmare. :-(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.