Need Advice & Sanity Check

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Debbie and Bryce, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debbie and Bryce

Debbie and Bryce Member

Hello all -

I know our Acro's have many inconsistencies in regard to their BG levels. However, we're seeing higher numbers with Bryce and not sure what's going on. :? We're used to seeing the low 300's, but now seeing mid to high 300's with an occ. BG in the 400's. Bryce was doing pretty well on Lantus 8.5U BID (down from 10 a few months ago). We've increased to 9.0, and thinking about an increase to 9.5. She seems to be doing fine. Hunger level always very high, but weight maintaining in the 14-14.3 range. Need to read the sticky on Lantus/Levemir. Wondering if it's time to switch. Would appreciate any thoughts you might have on any of this. Thanks!

2. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Hi Debbie - I didn't use the long lasting insulins in my days with Merlin but I know over time - his insulin needs increased until the last several months of his life. It seems nothing ever wants to stay stable with our special ones. I don't know if this helps you at all. Has Bryce has a checkup lately. No chance of any infection at all??? teeth? uti??? basic labs ok?? renal, liver??? These are my first thoughts.

Please keep me updated!

3. Girlcat

Girlcat Member

4. Debbie and Bryce

Debbie and Bryce Member

Thank you, Patti, and Girlcat, for the replies. Bryce is due for another check-up in about 6-8 weeks. We know her teeth need to be done. The Vet wanted to hold off last October to see if the numbers stabilized at all (under 300) due to some of the risks involved. Will certainly re-visit that discussion. And, will have some blood work done. She seems fine now in that she isn't showing any signs of abnormal behavior (e.g., sleeping more, eating less, warm nose, etc.). We see the Cardiologist in May. I need to read up on Levemir again and will discuss with the Vet. We'll keep at it. Thanks again for the replies.

Deb

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

They beat me to it.... get full b/w done, including check for pancreatitis, and u/a, c&s, and for sure the teeth.
    When Shadoe had her first dental ever, she was at 14u, and after a cleaning and only one extraction, she tumbled down to 2.75u, so I believe that part of that dose was due to teeth. if the teeth need doing, get them done because if you are waiting for an acro to stablize, you may be waiting forever.

I don't know what to say about switching, but maybe if there is some sting involved, and you are seeing an increasing dose, maybe it would be a good idea.

Shadoe was what I called a low dose acro for quite some time... around 8u or so, but she is up to 17u now, so it's good that I did switch her from Lantus.

Lots of things can cause increases, so best to rule out the possibilities, and if all ok, then I guess Bryce just needs more juice.

6. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Hi Debbie,
    Looks like an increase is in order, sometimes the hormonal output surges and sometimes it wanes, so you probably just need to bump another 1/2u at a time til she gets back to where you would like to see her :) Good to see you again!
    ..Carolyn

7. Debbie and Bryce

Debbie and Bryce Member

This is ALL so very helpful ! Thank you. We've increased to F9 BID, and will bump to 9.5U on Friday (based on what we see in the numbers). We're not home during the day, so would rather wait and do full curves this weekend to see what's going on. Was nervous about an increase, so thank you, Carolyn. We should have done this sooner. And, we'll contact our vet and schedule to have Bryce's teeth done very soon (and get some blood work at some point). We are working with a good vet now, and she previously advised that they needed to be done (but was concerned about the BG levels). Ok, sounds like a plan. :smile:

You all are wonderful...thank you, again. Ya know, you go along every day and just keep thinking that --- oh, the numbers will be better tomorrow....she's just going through something. Before you know it, a month goes by, and you see that everything is trending in the wrong direction and not improving. I should have checked in sooner. Will be back in touch soon.

8. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Aww that's great! And I'm glad you have such a nice and good vet, that's the nicest feeling in the world, isn't it? :) We'll look forward to seeing how she does!

9. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Keep us updated Debbie - and give that beautiful girl a hug from me - We need her gorgeous smile in next years calendar! :D

10. Debbie and Bryce

Debbie and Bryce Member

Well, if that's not a good reason to get those teeth done, then I don't know what is!! Yes, need to find that right "pose".... Bryce says thank you....and her sister, Aspen, too! Take care and I'll check in soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.