need dose advice for tonight

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Nancy and Cody, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

I need dose advice for tonight. So we are in fairly unchartered territory today- 3 readings in the mid blue zone and its about 1 hr to PM shot-- I shot about an hour late this AM, so he's already begging (and circling the chow wagon), so he's gonna be really mad by the time for his shot, so it will probably go up, but what if it doesn't? I guess I could feed and wait for it to go up, then shoot.

Why did he suddenly drop when he's had such bad readings lately? Don't forget Cody is an acrocat.

Possible explanations:
    1) He's had a runny nose/repetitive sneezing for over a week, and he's had unusually bad readings during that same period. We even increased the dose last week and they got slightly worse anyway, I think (vet wanted me to make another 2 u jump-- don't forget -acrocat). I don't think I heard sneezing today- I think the "cold" in on the mend.

2) Last night he had his enteric coated aspirin, which takes >12 hrs to dissolve. Is he in less pain today? (acrocat pain, headache, growing pain?) therefore lower happy cat numbers?

3) I started replacing 1/4 of his canned DM portion with 1/4 Wellness Chicken last night. It didn't get better until mid day today, so I doubt thats it.

4) Is it tumor fluctuations? The vet also wondered if possibly the aspirin interrupts the growth hormone output.

5) I shot his AM injection really low on his side in the soft part of his side belly fur. This is a new spot for us. It is absorbing better?

I can almost guarantee a rebound tomorrow- he hates the blue......
    FYI I've been giving him a spoonful of food about every hour or 2, all afternoon.

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice!!!! My money is on the change to Wellness. Now I'll have to go look up DM canned, isn't it 12% carbs or something like that? Maybe I'm thinking of dry.

I am hesitant to comment much on dosing. Have you tried posting in the big gulp group, and/or PMing anyone you know who has the experience to help you?

Could be a breakthrough and you are at the perfect dose, could be too much insulin, I just don't know, and I know how you feel - scary to shoot to much, but gosh if you could capitalize on this progress and keep him in the blues, that would be really sweet!!!!

3. Nancy and Cody

DM
    According to Janet & Binky
    the new DM contains (sept 09)
    35% of calories from protein
    60% of calories from fat
    5% of calories from carbohydrate
    262 mg phosphorus/100 calories

Janet doesn’t like the fat content and she doesn’t like liver as the 1st ingredient, so I add other other stuff sometimes. Its just so much denser- more for my money. Other foods feel like 80% water. And I add 60 ml water to every can.

Well I fed him, and we'll wait 30 min and see. It's gotta go up...

I hope he's over a cold, I've started worrying that it was his airway closing up from acro.

I'll be back in 30min

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Hmmm, well maybe not the food change then. :( If he isn't rising by +12 I'd check every 30 minutes or so if he'll tolerate it - with PZI once it poops out that zoom can really set in fast. ECID on when the poop-out is coming...

Could just be a nice breakthrough with no mystery cause, that would be good news!

5. Nancy and Cody

Ok exactly at 12 hrs (1 hr later than usual cause I overslept today), about 40 min after eating it went to rom 165 to 259,

so I think I'm going shoot 11u again, and keep an eye tonight. I can poke ANY part of his ear and it bleeds well so ... no prob there.

Hey thanks for a sounding board- nobody's really on HD tonight. Come to think of it that a really big food jump for him. I guess the PZIR finally pooped out.

Dinner tonight was 1/2 can DM, 1/4 can of wellness chix, and 1/4 can of Before Grain 100% chicken mixed together ; then I give him about half now and 1/4 at + 4 and at +7 hrs.

6. Nancy and Cody

Dang- waited too long, I should have fed and shot like always. It not like Cody wouldn't eat :? Hope I get another chance soon.
    +2 =327

He sneezed a couple more times. I think Im voting for the aspirin or maybe some 'outside' time -- it was like 70+ today :cool:

7. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Oh yeah! Exercise definitely burns up sugar -- so if a sedentary diabetic cat suddenly goes outside and frisks about like a kitten for hours -- HYPO is even a possibility.

At work now -- I'll come back at lunch break and read some more

8. Nancy and Cody

I'm gonna get shot for saying this :
    Cody's typical food spike with canned DM is average 25 points, (with an occassional odd 50 points) if you look back several months.
    I added Wellness (to his DM) the last 2 meals (1/4% and 1/2% replaced) and his food spike today was 120pts. I have nothing against wellness, it smells good and I am hoping to add a little variation for his health, and probably there is another explanation but ...I'm just noticing .... I know I need more data than just 1-2 meals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.