Need Dosing Advice ASAP

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by H.M. Victor (GA), Dec 4, 2018.

1. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

@Kris & Teasel You probably won't see this in time but figured I'd try anyway. We got Victor's PMPS tonight and it was 135, much to my surprise, so we retested just to be sure and it was 139. We didn't try to to stall because the hungrier Victor is, the less cooperative he is when we try to test, so do we give his shot tonight or not?

2. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

It is always better to miss a shot then give one and have to possibly deal with the consequences. My vet tells me not to inject under BG of 150 for what that is worth. Always feed.

3. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

Yeah, that's what I'll be doing if I don't get an answer otherwise.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I didn't see this. You're in an earlier time zone than I am. You did the right thing in skipping because you don't have experience giving insulin on a low PS, he drops a lot from PS to nadir because of Humulin's action and I know you worry about these situations.

The low numbers he's getting at 4 u are quite good. If he doesn't get into the habit of giving low PSs he'd likely get to the ideal nadir range of 90 - 110 on about 4.25 u. The big issue driving high BG numbers and need for a biggish insulin dose is his dry food. I know you know. ;)

H.M. Victor (GA) likes this.
  5. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

@Kris & Teasel So Victor's BG went down to 49 near his nadir this afternoon - which was a bit nerve-wracking even though he wasn't showing any symptoms of hypo, but I wanted to know if we should reduce his dose or anything for tonight because of that?

6. Kris & Teasel

Definitely too low!! Drop to 3.75 u or 3.50 u tonight - your call. He's beginning to respond better to the insulin and you need a safety margin. That sure surprised me! :confused:;)

7. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

Me too :eek: The lowest he's gone before is the 60's, so this was definitely unexpected.

8. Kris & Teasel

Cats make it their business to throw curve balls! :)

H.M. Victor (GA) likes this.