? Need dosing advice - Low greens

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Panic, Jul 12, 2019.

  1. Panic

    Panic Well-Known Member

    Apr 10, 2019
    Hey everyone, Panic's been giving me some scares - we're new to greens so it's a little freaky. xD

    All info is on her SS but two night ago she dropped down and cruised through the night in the low 70s.
    Today when I checked at +4 she dropped down to 54. By +6 (after much LC food) she made it up to 100.

    I'm never home during the day on the weekends so it's making me nervous to think she could drop like that without me there to test and guide her back up. Should I hold her 2u dose or decrease?
  2. FurBabiesMama

    FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

    Jul 6, 2017
    This is the thread on the main forum: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/going-too-low-again-4-54.216736/
    I suggested a drop to 1.8; someone else suggested staying at 2 and making food changes. This was my last comment:

    "It is certainly your call on what you want to do with the dosing. Either way, you will be monitoring and can deal with whatever comes.

    You could hold the 2 units a bit longer and adjust your feeding times to see if that evens things out - schedule a meal at about the point you know she drops. Or, you could try a drop to 1.8. I suggested a slight decrease because things were definitely headed too low today, and you had to intervene, but also based on the way the rest of the numbers look to me. I always look for ways to calm things down/even things out. What I don't like to see is extreme ups and downs and/or cases where you start having very different pre-shots where one is high and the other is low enough that you have to stall/decide whether it's safe to give the full dose. I have found it to be better to have a dose that can consistently be given and that levels things out more and allows the cat's system to adjust. It is better to gradually have the numbers decrease overall than to create a ping pong ball situation. (It is much easier to create volatility with ProZinc than one of the L insulins.)

    I think either choice is fine at this point. Whatever you decide to do, you can probably expect some higher numbers as a result of how low she went today. So, just commit to a dose and hold it for at least a couple of days (with Mia, I found that it took 3 or 4 days to really see the impact of a dose and to allow any bouncing to fully clear) - the only exception being if you get a pre-shot that is so low you cannot safely hold the dose. Then re-evaluate the dose at that point."
    Djamila and Panic like this.

Share This Page