? Need dosing advice please

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kathy G, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Kathy G

Kathy G Member

I'd like to bump Oliver up to 1.25 units from 1.0 unit but the only thing holding me back are the 2 green numbers on his sheet. Should I be concerned? I'll be home the next 3 days to moniter and test as often as needed.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  2. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Hi Kathy -- Honestly, I think I'd hold off at least one more day, during which (since you are home) you can get a curve. Here's why: looking at your SS after your food switch, it seems that every time he goes low (for him, of course), he has a pretty big rebound/bounce into the reds. His little body clears the high BG, then has a nice cycle, and then he pops up again, clears it, rinse, repeat. I would ignore 2/27 altogether as that is certainly a result of him having no insulin the PM before . . . and then he cleared it, and today's AMPS was great on one unit last night. If his pattern holds, I would expect him to be slightly up again the next cycle.

So it could be that his body just needs a little more time to get used to being in the better numbers and to "learn" that he's not in any danger from being, say, in the low 100s, and overreacting to them as the SS suggests he's been doing. Giving more insulin would make those lows lower and therefore probably send the bounces higher. Holding the dose for at least a little bit longer (with a curve) would give you both a little more time to see if he can level out/settle a bit. The hope would be that his "bounces" from what is for him a low number would get smaller, and you would see the PSs coming down through the pinks and then hopefully into the low yellows. Then once his body is used to that, you might try a small increase to get the overall numbers down, with the nadirs into the dark greens.

That is just my two cents. I think that I am more conservative than some people, especially with newer cats who are being diet-adjusted, and so others may have other opinions.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Rachel and Djamila like this.
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

No other opinion here. I agree with Jenna and she's done a great job explaining it.

4. Kathy G

Kathy G Member

Thank you so much for the advice and insight. I'll definitely hold off and get a curve in the next day or two.

5. Kathy G

Kathy G Member

Well it looked like St. Paddy's day last night on Oliver's chart. lol Good thing I asked and followed your advice or he would've been in trouble. Thanks again!

6. Kathy G

Kathy G Member

Just 2 days ago I asked about increasing Oliver's insulin. I did not......and look at his numbers now! I swear I'm going to have a nervous breakdown obsessing over his numbers. lol