Need dosing advice please

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by PatJ, Apr 5, 2019.

1. PatJ

PatJ Member

Could an expert eye take a look at my cat's spreadsheet because he seems to have started bouncing again just when I thought that he might stay nice and steady, but as soon as he gets higher insulin doses he starts to be really quiet and withdrawn and bounces and I don't know whether to keep upping his dose or stay a bit longer at a lower dose where he stays higher but doesn't lay around sleeping all the time. Just don't want him bouncing to hypo numbers again! I'd be very grateful for an opinion. Thanks.

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

It doesn't really look like bouncing to me. To be honest, it looks like he finally started to get some good numbers, and you maybe got nervous and lowered the dose?

It's not uncommon for them to be a little off when they start to get healthier numbers because their bodies just aren't used to them. I think I'd take him back up to 2.75 again and give him a few cycles there to see what happens. You've had quite the experience with hypos so I understand your hesitance, but there is danger in these high numbers too, so I'd say bring him back up and give him some time to start adjusting to those greens and blues again.

3. PatJ

PatJ Member

Thanks Djamila. I will take him back up to 2.75, but this morning he was at 7.1 so I just gave him a token dose of 0.75. I don't know if I should have given him more but I am fast running out of strips because they come from Amazon and they are a week late ( no such luck that we can pop into a shop like Walmarts here and buy some more ) so I didn't want to have to risk having to monitor him all day and run really low on strips. I've got everything crossed that they'll turn up this afternoon. Just for future reference, if he's low again at 7.0 or even lower how much would be safe to give him? It's the second time he's been at 7.0 in the morning in the last couple of days. I'm sorry to keep on about this dosing, but I get really worried when he goes low, just in case there's another hypo number. I do appreciate your help. Thanks.

4. Djamila

Dosing is complicated. It's fine to ask for a second opinion anytime!

In general, this advice can be helpful when dealing with a lower than normal PS number:
    • if the PS is lower than normal, but in the mid-blues or higher, stall without feeding for 30 minutes and retest. If BG has risen try the full dose.
    • if in the lower blues, try stalling up to an hour and if rising do the above. If BG isn't rising much, give a reduced dose. How much to reduce is always a conundrum. Maybe try a 2/3 dose.
    • if BG is much lower than normal give token dose - size depends on what the normal dose is. You can be braver with this once you have a lot of data. It's best to avoid skipping if you can but sometimes that's the safest thing to do.
    For this morning, I think you made a good decision. You don't have a lot of data on lower numbers, and you're limited on test strips, so giving something small-ish was a good choice for now. Try getting a test mid-cycle if you can, but given the normal numbers and the dose given, I think William will be safe regardless.

One trick that some folks do who order supplies online, is to always keep a couple of boxes of test strips in the hypo kit. That way you always have a backup for when a package gets delayed. Then whenever you get a new box of supplies, rotate out the box in the hypo kit so it doesn't get too old and expire. Through the snows this winter, I had a package delayed over two weeks. I was so thankful that those extra boxes were in there to get us through! I always thought I was being overly cautious -- until this winter!

Jasper Blue and Jay likes this.
  5. PatJ

PatJ Member

Thanks again Djamila:) The test strips arrived this afternoon thank goodness. I always order 2 x 50 at a time and when I'm nearly out of the first box I order another 2 x 50 so if they'd turned up Monday, no problem:banghead: but that's good advice to keep another two with the hypo kit so that's what I'll do! Thank you so much and thanks for the dosing advice.

I hope it's all right to ask you this, but I wonder if you would know why I have a pair of glasses on my thread and two pictures (one smaller than the other) of William with the word 'watched' coming up when you touch the glasses with the cursor? I haven't seen it on anyone else's thread and it worries me a bit because I'm not aware that I've done anything wrong but wonder why I'm being watched? Hope you don't mind me asking.

6. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Pat. That little pair of glasses indicates that you are watching the thread. When you post something new, there are options to watch the thread and to receive emails, and you need to uncheck those boxes if you don't want that. (They're at the very bottom.) But you can't see the little glasses on other members threads, only your own. You can choose to watch other threads as well by clicking on to the option to watch (at the top of the thread). If you want to really follow the threads you're watching, there is the option to click on to "watched threads" alongside of the other options at the top of the page. And the double photo - If you hover on the little photo, it will give you some info on how many times you've commented on that thread. You'll also see that photo on other's threads that you've commented on.
    I had to laugh when I read this, because I thought the same thing!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Djamila likes this.
  7. PatJ

PatJ Member

Hi, Daddy Jack's Mommy. I'm so glad that you've told me that. It goes without saying that I feel a bit of an idiot now, but this is the first forum that I've ever been on so it really puzzled me. I was getting a bit paranoid about it actually, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the same thing! You've solved a mystery for me. Thank you so much.:)

8. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

No need to feel silly! I'm sure we're not the only ones...

PatJ and Djamila like this.
  9. Djamila

Lol...this made me giggle. I had to get on the forum to look for the glasses because I couldn't remember what you were talking about! Turns out I have glasses next to almost every thread. I clearly talk too much ;):smuggrin:.

If you start posting on other people's threads, you'll see more glasses show up, so it won't be just on your thread. :bighug:

10. PatJ

PatJ Member

Hi Djamila, Well I'm so glad that's been solved! My husband told me that if that's all I've got to worry about then I'm very lucky, but I really couldn't understand why the word 'watched' should come up when those glasses got clicked on:confused: Now I know!

And it just shows how many people you help if you're on nearly every thread!! :)