Need Dosing Time Help!

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Tillie and Valentino, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Tillie and Valentino

Tillie and Valentino Member

Hello,

I'm having a predicament I've never run into with Valentino. His numbers were very Normal this morning when I checked before food at 9 am 150- and 180 after eating. They're usually over 340. I had planned to dose at 9:15. I'm waiting to give his dose (4 units Prozinc) and now it is an hour past when he should have had it. Any suggestions? Should I wait until a certain point, or give him smaller dose? He has a tendency to have big drops from his higher morning numbers. Any help from the pros would be appreciated. Of course, it's Sunday so I can't call his vet.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'm sorry one got to you in time. This is not a good forum for dosing help - best to go either to the Prozinc forum, or possibly Feline Health.

I'm going to change your subject line prefix. GA means "gone ahead" or "guardian angel" and is a way of letting people know our kitties have passed. Use the "?" next time.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Next time as long as you can monitor I would try 2 units

4. Tillie and Valentino

Thank you! I wish I had seen this yesterday... as his numbers were again very low last night and I skipped dose again today. I gave a little less than 4 but since he was up over 330 ish I thought it would be ok. Terrifying. He seems absolutely fine so perhaps the numbers are a little off on the Freestyle libre. Even so, it could have been catastrophic. I'm not sure if I should also skip tonight's dose. Have a call in to the vet but they are swamped today.

5. Tillie and Valentino

Oh, I had no idea. Was thinking "General". Thanks for correcting that!

6. Wendy&Neko

It always makes our heart skip a beat when we see GA. Good to know it's not that! Looks like Valentino gave you a run for it last night. :eek:

Tillie and Valentino likes this.
  7. Tillie and Valentino

I really hope I hear back from my vet. I emailed and left a message. Would it be best to skip the dose tonight as well, do you think?

8. Wendy&Neko

He'll probably be a lot higher by PMPS time due to the skipped shot. However, I'd definitely reduce the dose. I'm not familiar with Prozinc so not sure how much of a reduction.

9. Tillie and Valentino

Thanks so much. Yes, for sure. I guess I'll see if it's high enough to shoot, and I can do 2 units and then also set my alarm to check it a couple of times throughout the night, and still hopefully will get confirmation from the vet, too.

10. JanetNJ

If it proves to be not enough we can slowly raise it up. I think his numbers will probably be wonky another day but then we will see what this dose will do and decide from there.

11. Tillie and Valentino

Thanks so much, @JanetNJ . I only did the 2 units last night and his preshot number now is 296. I think a continued dose reduction makes sense, but not sure how much. Decided to do 2 units and I will watch him all day.

I should mention that he is on the 7th day of antibiotics for an ear infection and I'm wondering if this is affecting things. Also, not sure why, but he had terrible diarrhea the last couple of days.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  12. JanetNJ

Antibiotics can definitely cause diarrhea. My cats get it too. I'll be interested to see what 2 units does over the next few days. If it's not enough then you could raise it to 2.25.

Tillie and Valentino likes this.
  13. Tillie and Valentino

Oh, good to know! I expect that is what's causing it. This is his 7th day so I think should be the last. Hoping to talk to the vet today finally and sort out plans for the SRT and hear more about his abdominal ultrasound results. Thanks for the help.