Need Help. Newbie here.

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by TritonMom, Oct 26, 2019.

1. TritonMom

TritonMom Member

Today I started home testing and it read 489.

It’s pretty high. My kitty is on Vetsulin 1unit twice a day. I am currently giving him Fancy Feast Grilled about 3 times a day. He is always hungry so I might give him another one late night.

Any suggestions?

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to FDMB. Congratulations on home testing, it's the best way to keep Triton safe and see how the insulin is working.

Set up the spreadsheet and record the insulin and testing data. Always test before shots to be sure the BG (blood glucose) is high enough to shoot. Getting mid-cycle tests shows you how low the BG is going between shots and will help you evaluate if the dose is effective.

FDMB Spreadsheet Instructions
    Understanding the Spreadsheet/Grid

Read the Beginner's Guide to Vetsulin at the top of this fourm:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/beginners-guide-to-caninsulin-vetsulin.186099/

Testing is a process of practice and patience, here are some wonderful tips from member Chris & China (GA):

Here's something I wrote up for others for testing...maybe it'll help you too!

It can be really helpful to establish a routine with testing. Pick one spot that you want your "testing spot" to be (I like the kitchen counter because it's got good light and it's at a good height....it also already blocked 2 escape routes due to the wall and the backsplash) It can be anywhere though...a rug on the floor, a table, a particular spot on the couch...wherever is good for you.

Take him there as many times a day as you can and just give his ears a quick rub and then he gets a yummy (low carb) treat. Most cats aren't objecting so much with the poking..it's the fooling with their ears they don't like, but once they're desensitized to it and learn to associate a certain place with the treats, they usually start to come when they're called! Or even when they hear us opening the test kit!

You also have to remember...you're not poking him to hurt him...you're testing him to keep him safe and understand what's going on inside his body. There's just nothing better than truly understanding what's going on inside your kitty's body and with this disease, the more knowledge you have, the more power you have against it. The edges of the ears have very few pain receptors, so it really doesn't hurt them. Also, if you're nervous and tense, it's going to make your kitty nervous and tense too. As silly as it might seem, try singing! It forces you to use a different part of your brain!

It's also important to make sure his ear is warm. A small sock filled with a little rice and microwaved or a small pill bottle filled with warm water (check temp against your wrist like you would a baby bottle) works well

For new kitties, using a heavier gauge lancet is also really helpful. A 25-28 gauge lancet pokes a bigger "hole" than a 31-33 gauge lancet does, so look for "Alternate Site testing" lancets that are usually a lower number

Finding the right "treat" will be a great help too! Freeze dried chicken, bonito flakes, little pieces of baked chicken...whatever low carb treat you can find that he really enjoys will help him to associate the testing with the treat! China's Achilles heel was baked chicken, so I'd bake a piece, chop it into bite sized pieces, put some in the refrigerator and freeze the rest to use as needed. It didn't take long for her to come any time I picked up the meter!

This is a document every new member should read:
    New? How you can help us help you

Sara and Mr. Kitty likes this.