Need Help with Dosing and Feeding

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kacie and Sadie, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kacie and Sadie

Kacie and Sadie Member

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice. We've only been testing since the evening of January 15th so we don't have a lot of data. Sadie started out, after being in the hospital over Christmas, at 3 units (vet started her at 1 unit 2x a day and went up from there). Info that I found on this website made me change her food to all Fancy Feast using the low carb choices. That's when her numbers started to change. The vet said to go with 2 units twice a day but after testing, she only needed it once a day. Now her numbers are changing again. We are using 2 units twice a day. I don't know if we are feeding her too much and that could be the reason. We start with 1 can of Fancy Feast in the AM. We have been giving her a small snack 4 hours later (about 1/4 of a can) and then again 3-4 hrs later. The reason we were doing this is because some of the advice I was given since her numbers on some days were very low and she hadn't eaten for a long period of time. Am I doing something horribly wrong? Do you think she isn't getting enough insulin now? Will it ever get easier?

Thanks so much for your help-
    Kacie and Sadie

2. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Hi Kacie, Glad to see you back. It looks to me like Sadie is getting too much insulin. You're showing too many mornings where you can't shoot. I'd drop the dose back to 1.5 units and try very hard to get some tests between +5 and +7. You need to know how low the dose is taking her. You might find that 1.5 is too much also. The general rule is that you want a dose that is enough to keep her under 300 but you also don't want to be skipping shots.

Your feeding plan sounds fine.

3. Kacie and Sadie

Kacie and Sadie Member

Thanks for your reply! What about now when her numbers for day and night are high? Do I still cut it back?

4. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

I agree she is getting too much insulin. I would be a bit more conservative than Terri and cut to 1.0, but you could do either. I would stick with a single dose, either 1.0 or 1.5, and skip if need be. If you adjust the dose every shot, you may not be able to collect enough information to know how she is reacting to the new dose. I would give the new dose a week or so, then try to run a curve.

5. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

I'd keep the same dose for morning and evening until you get some more spot checks. Once you have 4-5 days of data on the lowered dose and some spot checks, then if you're still seeing such a difference between daytime and nighttime, you might consider two separate doses.

6. Kacie and Sadie

Kacie and Sadie Member

Ok Sounds good. Will start tomorrow morning. Would too much insulin cause her to have high numbers day and night like the last couple days?

I really really appreciate your help!

It's getting a bit easier to understand so thanks for your patience.

Kacie and Sadie

7. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Is Sadie gaining weight? If no then you are not feeding too much [edit: unless weight loss is the goal]. The more meals they have per day the better. If you can free feed, that is the best. It doesn't sound like you are doing anything "horribly" wrong. :smile:

8. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Yes.

9. Kacie and Sadie

Kacie and Sadie Member

Not gaining weight yet..She's chubby around the waist. Very solid girl. :) She is about 11-12 lbs but holding steady.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! :)

10. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome!!!

For most cats, PZI only lasts in their system for 12 hours or less, so that's why in most cases it's recommended to give them a lower dose every 12 hours, vs. a higher dose just once a day. Sounds like you have gotten lots of good advice so I won't add to that, just wanted to explain a bit further. Some cats do well on insulin just once a day, but I've only seen it so far in cats that have been on insulin for a while and are seeing some pancreas healing. When you are seeing lots of ups & downs like you are with your cat, a lower dose 2x/day should help even that out.

As long as her food is low carb, I wouldn't worry about that causing higher #s. If her #s go low though, it's good to let her eat, as that will counteract the insulin and help her body keep her BG in a safe range. Hopefully a non-issue for now since you are lowering her dose, but still good to know!

p.s. yes it does get easier!!! :D

11. Kacie and Sadie

Kacie and Sadie Member

I can't tell you all how much I appreciate the great advice. Because of all of you, I have been able (with my boyfriend Tim) to help Sadie.

Thanks again!

Kacie and Sadie :)

Will update in a few days...

12. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Hi Kacie! You've gotten some really good dosing advice, so I will just say welcome and yes, it does get easier. It's hard in the beginning when there is so much to absorb and learn. You did awesome by switching Sadie's diet and learning about how food affects BG. Keep right on reading and asking questions. You and Tim are doing wonderfully by Sadie; keep up the good work. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.