Need help with dosing / Novolin N

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Harley Baby & Michele, Jun 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Harley started on insulin 6/1 @ 0.5units 2x/day. Novolin N with u100 syringes. Now up to 2 units 2x/day. His numbers are not good. I have been slowly creeping up dose now at 2.0 units 2/day.
    His appetite is good. He eats tiny nibbles of the dry and maybe 3-4 cans (3oz) per day. I put out fresh wet whenever he wants it which is about Q2hours. I read somewhere on this site ok to feed skinny cats needing to gain weight any time through out the day. He is such a picky eater that only feeding him 2x/day will not work. He is probably nibbling his food about q30minutes or so. He is on Mirtazepine for about past 4 months as an appetite stimulant. He lost 7 pounds before definitive diabetes diagnosis and starting insulin.
    He has negative Ketones. His attitude is usual lazy self! ;)
    I am using a FreeStyle Freedom Lite meter. I do not plan to purchase the cat meter as I get these strips free. I have ordered KetoDia Stix for comparisons. I currently just have the ketone sticks.
    I read all the info on the various insulins. I am considering switching to ProZinc due to the slower onset and lasting longer. I can not afford the Lantus and Levemir.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Hope you can see my spread sheet.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I think a switch to ProZinc is a good plan. In the meantime hold the 2.5 a few days and see what happens.

3. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Thank you very much Janet! Harley is still out of control on 2.5 units. I checked my cat today for comparison and his glucose was 56. So Harley is Severely off the chart. Used the same meter.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I understand. You might need a few cycles before a new dose is fully effective though. Remember it's a marathon not a sprint. For now too I would suggest skipping the dry. I found dr elseys really raises my cats numbers. Your cat may be very carb sensitive at this point too.

5. Bryan & Princess

Bryan & Princess Member

I am reading your SS trying to figure out what I should be doing, hope Harley starts to react to the insulin better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.