Need help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Vincent, Sep 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vincent

Vincent New Member

Found this forum after searching for info about diabetes in cats. I have a 10 year old kitty(layla) that was just diagnosed, went to urgent care after we saw her drinking and peeing slot. Also sleeping by her water bowl. The problem we are having is the cost of insulin. She is on 2.5u and for a bottle of 100u lantus, it comes out over $300 for just 20 days. Im trying to find any options that can help with cost because the other options would be us having to have her euthanized.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You came to a good place.

First, despite what you may see on the packaging, Lantus will be good for more than 28 days. I've used a Lantus pen for 3 months and used pretty much every drop.

There are biosimilars/generics for Lantus. Basaglar and Semglee are both forms of glargine and are much less expensive. Semglee is the least expensive of the two. Any pharmacy should fill your Rx with one of the biosimilars. You may need to ask for the alternative though.

If you have your prescription or can get a copy, you can also order from Mark's Marine Pharmacy in Canada (Vancouver). the price is about 1/3 of what Lantus costs in the US. Many people here order from Mark's.

Please let us know if your have other questions. We're here to help.

3. Vincent

Vincent New Member

Thank you for this information. The last few days have been up and down. We still have an appointment with a new vet but I have been diving into all the threads trying to read up and inform myself. The urgent care didn't help us much other than a diagnosis and prescription. Which I understand they are busy. I will look into what you suggested!

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Vincent please don't euthanize Layla, we have a supply closet where members sell insulin because their kitties have passed
    I found this in case you are interested, can't best the price for these Lantus Pens
    I see you use the vials (bottle)
    Here is the info just reply to her
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/donations-from-magellan.252578/

Just tap in the blue link and you can reply to her
    Five pens should last you almost a year
    Keep them in the middle shelf of the fridge
    We still use syringes with the pens because when using the pens with the needles that you would use you can only adjust by whole units, do you have the syringes with the half unit markings? We increase or decrease by 0.25 units so with the half unit syringes it makes it easier
    Just insert your syringe in the gray rubber stopper on the pen and draw out your insulin
    @Vincent

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Just take the cap off the pen and use a U100 syringes and pull the insulin out of the pen!
    [​IMG]

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Vincent if you would like to set up your signature, it's information about Layla
    For your signature

Go all the way up top to you name tap on it and a drop box will appear , you will see the word signature, tap that and just add all your information about Nani and hit save.

Take a look at my signature all about Tyler all signatures are at the end of everyone's posts in gray

Add info we need to help you:
    • Caregiver & kitty's name
    • DX: Date
    • Name of Insulin (do not include dose or frequency)
    • Name of your meter
    • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
    • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
    • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
    • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
    • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line ofyoursignature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

We also have a spreadsheet that we use to track our cats blood glucose numbers on in case you ever need help with dosing
    I will give you the link on how to set it up and it will also explain how it works
    Are you home testing yet?
    If not I highly suggest it , I can suggest what meter to buy
    We have a lot of experienced members here and if it wasn't for their help my Tyler would not be in remission today
    Take a look at my spreadsheet to get an idea what it looks like or look at other members also
    Here is the link for the spreadsheet, if you have trouble setting it up we have some members here that will do it for you just ask
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-create-a-spreadsheet.241706/

Here is also info about Lantus and dosing methods that you will choose from.
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/

9. Vincent

Vincent New Member

Thank you for all of this information. Thank you so much. Its nice to see people care

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  10. Diane Tyler's Mom

No problem just keep asking questions :cat:

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Vincent I see you got the lantus pens, I'm happy for you and Layla
    It would be great if you can set up your signature and the spreadsheet
    So we know what you are feeding and any other health issues ,I gave you the links above in case you ever need advice with dosing
    Are you home testing yet, It's really the only way to keep Layla safe
    If you live in the US I can suggest a meter
    We can tell you how to test her and show you a video one of our members did
    2.5 units might be to much to start with

When you read a post can you please hit the like word just so we know you saw it
    Good luck :cat:
    @Vincent

Vincent likes this.
  12. Vincent

Vincent New Member

Yes! Will get that set up, so glad I found this forum, between talking with the vet on different insulin options and food options, to the help i was able to find here, we took euthanasia off the table and where happy to bring layla back home

13. Diane Tyler's Mom

14. Vincent

Vincent New Member

I was reading about fancy feast pate poultry and beef being a good option for low carb?

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

Do you mean the chicken and beef if so that's fine take a look at the food chart

16. Vincent

Vincent New Member

Yes, checking out the sheet now

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  17. Diane Tyler's Mom

Layla is adorable by the way
    I just sent you a private message check where it says inbox

18. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I do not think you understand what U100 means. That means the strength is 100 units per ml. The fial contains 10 ml so that is 1000 units. At 2 ½ units twice daily that the would be 200 days for a 10 ml vial. As others have sain the pens are better since you can generally nuse aup a 300 nl pen before it goes bad.

Vincent likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.