Need liquid B. How do you get away?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lois and Java, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lois and Java

Lois and Java Member

First, I wanted to thank Kris and Teasel for so much help and guidance. It's taken about three weeks, but now I feel like I have a little bit of a handle on dealing with the timing, the doses, etc. Each blood test does not send my adrenaline flowing, which is such a relief. I'm so grateful to have a mentor, and really appreciate this site.
    An continuing problem is hind leg weakness, neuropathy. Java's getting weekly B12 shots, and was sprinkling Jarrow's B-Right on his food. I stopped for a while because he was finding it unpalatable, and now I realize it has 50 mg of inositol, which probably makes it not good. Can anyone recommend another source of B complex, preferably liquid that I can squirt into his mouth? I'm hoping that will help with his legs which are looking more and more sad.
    Relatedly, how would I know if it's partly arthritis, and if I should get painkillers? If it's diabetic neuropathy, can painkillers ever help?
    I also was wondering how people deal with going away. I've changed theater subscriptions so that I am home for the PMPT, and made other changes so that I'm around to be here for Java. He's very old, so I'm aware this is essentially hospice care. I'd really like to go away for 2 days when an old friend comes to visit. If you don't have a significant other to stay home and take care of the cat, what solutions have people come up with to take time away from your cat? Thanks.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

When was his last bloodwork done? Low levels of potassium can also cause hind-leg weakness; I thought my cat had diabetic neuropathy but it turned out to be a potassium deficiency. I recommend having asking your vet to check for potassium deficiency if the B-12 isn't helping.

3. Lois and Java

Lois and Java Member

2/13/2017 lab results are at the lab tab on the SS. His potassium is in the normal range.
    He is very high for markers for pancreatitis and kidney disease. The treatment is subcutaneous fluids, which he is now getting every four days, and food. He eats YA and FF in many small meals a day. He's been eating better lately (prior to 2/13, he was more lethargic about eating), which I'm attributing to the ringers bringing the high numbers from 2/13 down, and a regular schedule on the insulin. I'll have him retested around March 13; the vet said it would take about a month for any of the values to change.
    I've had him for 20 years and 3 months. He's quite old.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Squalliesmom likes this.
  4. meowsyko

meowsyko Member

Are his B12 shots methly- or cyano- cobalamin? Methyl b12 works better for neuropathy. Zobaline (also on amazon) is a methyl-B12 safe for cats, just one small tab crushes easily and disolves into water or wet food. Recommended by many on here. My cat doesn't seem to mind it in her food, you could also easily disolve into some water and syringe it. If your B12 shots are methyl, I'm not sure you need to give any more.
    B12 can help with neuropathy, but the big piece to it is getting BG in more normal range, as it's the high BG that is causing the neuropathy in the first place. Supplements alone will not resolve neuropathy, at least not much.

You could get an x-ray if you want arthritis diagnosed. But at his age, it's likely to be both. If you've noticed it getting worse within a short time frame, he probably has some neuropathy. They are a bit different, and you might be able to watch him carefully and make a good guess. Arthritis is "painful inflammation and stiffness of the joints", while "In diabetic neuropathy, nerves in the legs are progressively damaged, leading to tingliness, pain, numbness, and weakness or paralysis. In cats, this often shows first as weak hind legs, progressing until the cat cannot stand on his toes as usual, and walks on his hocks (heels) or sits down more often". If it is just his hind legs, and it has been most noticeable since he's been diabetic, then it is probably more likely that it's neuropathy. Do his feet slide out from under him when he walks on a hardwood floor? Is he walking fully or slightly plantigrade?

My cat is 18, she has had a bit of arthritis since I got her at age 11. She doesn't jump up and has trouble with landing when jumping down, takes a long time to sit. When she was first diagnosed diabetic, I knew she had neuropathy because her back legs would slip when she walked anywhere. I had to lay yoga mats and foam tiles down the hall so she could get around. She couldn't even jump off a mattress on the floor without crash-landing on her face because her back legs would fail her.

Gabapentin is helpful for nerve pain, and worth discussing with your vet if you think he is in pain. It won't help the nerve damage or weakness but if your cat is having pain it could help that. Tramadol could also help with pain. Buprenorphine is also used for pain treatment for cats, it's the morphine of the cat world...strong stuff.

Board at vet, find a good pet sitter that is able to manage shots, train a relative or friend, bring cat with you... Timed feeders can be helpful too (but would still need somebody to come by for shots). I didn't have to use her, but I found an ad for a vet tech who did pet sitting in my area. Maybe you can find somebody like that. Can always see if there's any members here in your area that are willing to help!

Lois and Java and Squalliesmom like this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Nutrived is a liquid b complex. It may have sugars though, not sure. I gave it to my ckd cat when he was anemic.

My diabetic cat I just give plain b12 from a vitacost caplet. That I sprinkle. I've tasted it and it has no taste that I notice.

Lois and Java likes this.
  6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hi Lois,
    I was going to suggest vet board because that's what I'd probably do if I had to go away. As it is, for a number of my own health reasons as well as Teasel's FD, I stay home.

I'm glad I've been helpful in getting you on track. :)

Lois and Java likes this.
  7. Lois and Java

Lois and Java Member

Vet tech says it's cyanocobalamin.
    Thank you! Lots to investigate.

8. JanetNJ

Correct me if I am wrong, but injectable b is always cyanocobalamin I think

9. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

10. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Hi-
    I have a 17 and a 18 year old (the old folks home over here :)
    adequan is amazing.... my boys run and play and we have 4 flights of stairs:cat::cat:

Rico gets a B12 injection every other week of so .... he does not have FD

Dre who does have FD 1x a month mostly for prevention.

@manxcat419 has lots of info on this topic :bighug:

11. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I live alone, and had no one that I trusted to look after J.D., so I took him with me on vacations for 8 years. We did 2 per year (one 6.5 flight each way and the other a 6.5 hour drive each way). When he was in his 19th year, I felt he was just too unstable for any added stress, so I cancelled the vacations that year.

12. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

We trust our longtime vet but she does not have overnight staff. We all live the same nightmare. The most relaxing vacation I ever had was a houseboat on the Lake Okanogan. Tie up on the east shore and have a fire every night. It was a monster, full kitchen, 3 bedrooms etc. Of course cats, boats and water don't mix. No one had bought their watch and no clock on the boat; it never really mattered. Eat when you're hungry, swim, sleep when you're tired. And you never paid for a restaurant! It was $1,700 a week in 1983 so do the math but you split it between 3 couples. Boarding a dog is easy, cats..... Now we're facing 3 funerals in the next 5 years, how do you plan for that? A live-in sitter with a degree in animal care?

13. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

14. JanetNJ

15. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Last time I checked the injectable methylcobalamin is expensive and is likely not really affordable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.