Need opinions on what BG needed before give shot?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Valher, Apr 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valher

Valher Member

Newby here. Boo diagnosed in late January, on PRoZinc starting at .5 which made him overly sleep so I slowly reduced. Upon diagnoses immediately changed to Fancy Feast pate. At last curve done at Vet, they agreed should be less than .5. I recently reduced further - maybe giving .2 to .25 _ hard to be exact at such a small dose. Started home BG testing today, was 73 just before PM mealtime so no shot. 1 hr later was 83. Crossing fingers for remission and going to keep testing before meal times and at various intervals over the next few days. Biggest question is at what BG should I give him insulin? Second is how many hrs past mealtime is the low point on the curve for ProZinc? (I want to make sure to test tonight around that time). Thanks for input - very happy to find such an active & helpful community!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I think that if BG is at least 150 you can give insulin. If you had a lot of test data to refer to it might be possible to lower that a little. The low point (nadir) for BG when giving ProZinc is generally 5 to 7 hours after the shot. We use shot time, not meal time, as the reference.

3. Valher

Valher Member

Thank you! It didn’t occur to me that there won’t be a low point from PRoZinc if I didn’t give the shot. I’ll test mid way between meals to make sure all is well.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Great numbers!

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Those are great numbers. I don't want to jinx you by saying the "R" word but your kitty is doing extremely well.

6. Valher

Valher Member

Thanks all! We have all our fingers crossed. He was 68 before food this am. :cat:

Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.