Need some input

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Nancy Foley, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Nancy Foley

Nancy Foley New Member

My 18 y/o Stripers has been insulin dependent for 12 yrs, has gone thru all the insulins, best response has been from Vetsulin. Thursday he began vomiting, at vet friday morn. He has severe pancreatitis, his glucose is up and he is in kidney failure, 2 wks ago he had a well being physical and his numbers were pretty good for his age and he was feeling well. Spent friday at vet on fluids, came home that night and back yest for another 5 hrs of iv fluids. He is drinking but not eating much which I expect, he is on Benazapril for kidneys, aluminum hydroxide with food, gets 150 ml here at home daily and Cerenia as needed. He is very thin from not eating, I can not find a food that is low fat for the pancreas, low phosphorus,and low carbs. I have been analyzing foods nonstop, I have looked for recipes I can cook and can't find anything to help him. Vet sent him home w Royal Canin Renal and Hills Kidney. They are such garbage with carbs respectively of 27% and 47%. He had 1/4 can of each and no more. He was on Fancy Feast tight regulation but the phosphorus content is very high. Also needs lower protein for the kidneys. Does anyone have a thought re food, Which food would best suit his needs and do no harm?

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Tiki cat is low carb, low phosphorus, and pretty much just meat and broth. My favorite is their after dark line. My cat loves it. Weruva makes a few good choices as well.

Try adding some FortiFlora on top of the food to entice him to eat more.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Nancy, first let me tell you I am so sorry to hear that Stripers is not feeling so well and that you are going through this rough time. I suggest that you copy and paste your message in the Main Health forum so that more members can see what's going on and make some recommendations.
    You may want to take a look at www.catinfo.org for some feline nutrition information. I am currently transitioning Idjit to a raw diet using FoodFurLife EZ Complete supplement. That might be worth looking into and some discussion with the staff there about what kind of diet Stripers needs. I had questions about phosphorus, because I too was concerned about the phos levels in the canned foods. They were very helpful.
    I hope you can find some answers to help Stripers to better health and get him to eating and feeling much better. :bighug:

4. Nancy Foley

Nancy Foley New Member

thx, I am new to the forum and hope I can find the main health forum

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Main health forum HERE

Krystina & Nelli likes this.