Needle gauges and lengths

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Earthwoods, May 27, 2019.

1. Earthwoods

Earthwoods New Member

I’m new to my cat’s diabetes but I have had the disease for almost 40 years myself. Since I’m on a fixed income, I try to consider all options before taking the vet as God’s word. I know they need to make money, but charging $50.00 for a box of syringes seemed high, since mine cost next to nothing. Mine are U-100, while the insulin is U-40, but I read about the conversion chart and understand it. My problem is , is there a problem using U-100, 31 ga. Needles that are 6mm (15/64”) long to use for injections? The U-40, 29ga. ,are 12.7mm (1/2”) in length.

2. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

Hello there. You can use whatever gauge is comfortable I do use the 29g U 40 1/2 inch. They are available from California veterinary supply for $11.00 for a box of 100. They also haveU100s at the same price. Both with half unit markings to fine tune a dose. Hope that helps!

3. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Howdy. I second what Lisa said - you can use whatever gauge you're comfortable using. I use the U100, 31g, 6mm. I use the conversion chart because I use U40 insulin. I like the U100 because the needle is shorter and thinner, and I can more easily give tiny doses. I get them at Walmart for $12.00ish for 100. Welcome!

4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome! I third what Lisa and Carolyn said - using the u100 syringes will be just fine, and the shorter needle can really help with avoiding fur shots. :)