New/Additional Diagnostic Tool for CKD

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tomlin, Aug 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I know so many face the issue of CKD and the challenge there is at times with diagnosis, especially early on. The SDMA is pretty well known by now—Antech Labs now has an SDMA in addition to Idexx Labs, but there is also a relatively new AI (artificial intelligence) Driven Predictive Test by Antech called RenalTech. I am going to attach links that you are able to read to learn more about it. Like SDMA, there may be some vets who love it and some vets who do not. There is a recent study: (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5787200/) showing diabetes can lower the SDMA, so that is an issue & an example of why some vets are not overly enthused by SDMA being the tell all, especially in cats with concomitant disease states. It is why you often hear/read that the multiple tests available to help diagnose CKD need to be looked at vs just one test and why repeated testing is important. I personally appreciate any additional data my vets and I can get our hands on to get a clearer picture of what may or may not be going on at a given point in time. Unfortunately, the uncertainty or gray area often occurs during the earlier diagnosis of CKD. The earlier the diagnosis the better, so the more data available to help determine the status the better :). Here are the links to learn about RenalTech:

https://www.waltham.com/news-events...hronic-kidney-disease-in-cats-two-years-early

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...panion-animal-product-for-2019-300998752.html

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

THANK YOU! I've bookmarked these to read later.

Tomlin and Teresa & Buddy like this.
  3. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I appreciate you sharing your information.

Tomlin and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  4. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

As always, you are SUCH a GREAT resource!!!

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Indeed.

I wonder how untreated hyperthyroidism might affect SDMA results, bearing in mind that it can mask the presence of renal insufficiency.

Thank you for the links.

Mogs

Teresa & Buddy likes this.
  6. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Teresa & Buddy and Critter Mom like this.
  7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

@Tomlin -

Míle buíochas! (Many thanks, in Irish.) :)

Mogs

Teresa & Buddy likes this.
  8. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

You are welcome :bighug:! Love the Irish greeting :D
    Amy

Critter Mom and Teresa & Buddy like this.
  9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Thank you ! I hate that Mars is associated though.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  10. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Mars actually has extensive involvement within the petcare industry, including Antech labs, VCA, Banfield and BluePearl Hospitals to name a few. They also have Crave and Royal Canin within the brand among others. Overall, they are a good company, still privately held—which is important, and even small companies like Sure Pet Care are being acquired by larger companies (Merck) simply for financial sustainability. I know they have had some issues with some of their pet food manufacturing in the past, but overall, when you look at the company and their pet divisions as a whole, they do a nice job within the pet care sector and also within communities (really nice!). Definitely not perfect and there is always room for companies to improve, but overall, IMO, a good company with respect to what they are doing in the pet sector. I definitely wouldn’t be concerned about this particular lab or any labs from Antech because it is a division of Mars.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.