New Diabetic Kitty and the libre freestyle

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lucky&Mom, Aug 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucky&Mom

Lucky&Mom New Member

So long and involved story but I am getting another diabetic kitty. He is 14 years old and was about to be euthanized - owner's husband died was mostly the husband's kitty. Awaiting blood work from vet so that I can make sure that there aren't diseases he is going to bring to my other 2 kitties.

It has been almost 4 years since the passing of my sweet Lucky girl who crossed to the rainbow bridge 8/19/2016. It wasn't her diabetes that took her it was a stupid ugly salivary gland tumor.

I am so glad this site is still here.

Do any of you use the libre freestyle? Are the experiences better with that than the alphatrac and regular testing?

Thanks

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME BACK and God BLESS you for giving a diabetic kitty a home! There ARE folks here that use the Libre and the AT. I just cant think of who they are but with your title you are sure to draw them here.

I just wanted to welcome you back and I'm sorry for the loss your sweet Lucky. I bet shes just grinning from whisker to whisker knowing you will be helping a kitty in need. How PROUD she must be!

Hold on for more replies.
    jeanne

3. Lucky&Mom

Lucky&Mom New Member

Thank you for the welcome. My pet sitter posted about him needing a home and I knew at 14 with diabetes he would not be likely to be rehomed. This is something Lucky taught me how to do and I can't see euthanizing a kitty because he has diabetes.

I used AT on Lucky but I don't think the Libre was available then.

C.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Yeahhh thats the only time diabetes is a death sentence, when they have been given up to a shelter. :(

5. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Thank you for saving this kitties life, bless you
    I am going to tag 2 members that I k ow who have used the Libre

@Aleluia Grugru & Minnie

@Dusty & Roe

The Aloha Trak strips are so very expensive.
    I used to use it but the cost of the strips were killing me

I switched to the human meter which most all if us use
    The Relion Prime or the Relion Premier
    I use the Prime and am very happy with it
    You can pick it up at Walmart The meter is/9 bucks and the strips are 17.88 for 100 strips

As you know you can go through them quickly
    I don't know if you live in the US
    I'm sure more members will chime in about the Libre
    I'm sorry about your swert girl Lucky, :bighug::cat:

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

When you do get your new kitty you might want to set up your profile and your signature
    Links are below

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/creating-a-fdmb-profile.159626/

If you could set up you signature that would be great
    • On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
      • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
      • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

You will see that the signature is in gray at the bottom of each members posts

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

There is a discussion on the Libre in Think Tank that Red posted above.

My observation is that for someone who is brand new to managing their cat's diabetes, the Libre is helpful as a means of getting started. However, there seems to be an issue with the the sensor staying in place. People have commented that they come off if not securely glued (you need to have a spot shaved) or the inventive kitty manages to free him/herself from the sensor. And, of course, the sensors are not cheap -- $60 every 2 weeks (they are only good for 2 weeks).

If you remember how to test, I suspect you will go better testing in the old tried and true method of poking your kitty on the ear. Most of the members here use a human meter because the price of the strips is so much less than the price of strips for a pet specific (e.g., Alpha Track) meter. The price on the AT2 strips is now around $1.00 per strip. The cost for the strips for a Relion meter (Walmart's brand ) is under 25 cents.

10. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I actually never used the libre. I just home tested Minnie from the get go. Sorry!

11. Lucky&Mom

Lucky&Mom New Member

I should have blood work results by 4pm this afternoon. At that time I'll set up the link you shared so that you guys know who kitty and I are and what our plan is with the vet. All coming back to me now..

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Sorry Ale I saw the word Freestyle in your signature and thought it was the Libre
    My bad :cat:

13. Diane Tyler's Mom

I hope all the blood work shows no diseases as you said . Please keep us updated :cat:

14. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

Hi I had the Libre it’s very easy to use but from what I know it’s a temporary use . The sensor is suppose to last for 14 days but rarely does , I got 9 days out of my first sensor before it had to be replaced . Here are you Pros and Cons
    Pros - Once on very easy to read . You can read anytime . You can you the reader or your cell phone . The sensor reads BG every 15 minutes on it own but you still have to wave your reader or cell phone to get a reading
    and your Vet can access through a computer watching day through the night .
    Cons - The sensor is put on with surgical glue some kitties can have a reaction to the glue .
    You have to cross your fingers your cat will keep the sensor on and not scratch it off .
    The sensor may not last for 14 days and are about $ 40.00 dollars to replace .
    If you can’t use your cell phone to read the sensor the reader is about $65.00 dollars
    With all that being said for me it was very easy to use . I just do t know how long you can you
    use it for . That you would have to ask your Vet . Any questions you have please feel free to ask

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.