New Diabetic

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mags920, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Mags920

Mags920 Member

It was suggested I post here, so here I go: Houston was diagnosed as diabetic May 2018, started on 1U Lantus BID & was fed Purina or Fancy Feast pate. He had a hypo episode, went into remission, an infection caused him to go back on Lantus for about 1 month then back into remission, I lost him Apr 2019 to liver cancer. With that said I adopted a almost 8 yr old diabetic Wed & I am his 3rd owner. Kingston was diagnosed in Feb & started on 2U Vetsulin & Purina DM dry. Owner went back to work in April & could not keep his dosing schedule so she decided no insulin was better than occasional insulin. She started to try & re-home him but all the shelters refused because of his diabetes. She ended up contacting DCIN who put him in an urgent album. I contacted her & learned her roommates wanted him gone, they didn't feed him when she had to work nights & she was going to PTS if not adopted by a certain date. We met at her vet's Wed & had him examined, got a BG & tested ketones. Vet wanted to put him back on Vetsulin & I told her I wanted Lantus as I used it with Houston & still had syringes. She hesitantly agreed & prescribed 2U BID. I'm not a vet but felt the dose was too high & followed the vet's directions. When you look at his spreadsheet you will see how much his BG dropped after his initial dose. I was concerned especially after having been through a hypo episode & contacted a friend who has far more experience with diabetics than I. I fed him a very small amount of the other cats' Purina One dry, tested him & repeated. He may have eaten about 1/4c of the dry but it leveled his BG. From that point forward I have been giving him 1U Lantus BID. I feed him Friskies or Fancy Feast pate only, NO dry. So there's my story. I'm hoping Kingston will go into remission............

2. SingsToCats

SingsToCats Member

Hello and welcome!

What a pretty cat Kingston is. I'm so glad you were able to take him in.

I'm not an expert but it looks like he's doing pretty good on 1u. If you're doing TR you'll probably increase soon, you'll have to watch for low numbers. But he could do really well on 1.25, he might stay below 300.

Mags920 likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome! Thank you for rescuing that gorgeous boy! Looks like you started him on the right dose. He bounced from the 90 but us back on track I think.

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi there I think you were correct in starting Kingston on 1 unit of Lantus
    Thank you for saving his life
    He is a real cutie. Looking forward to see how Kingston is doing.
    I see you have a houseful of kitties :cat: :bighug:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  5. Diane Tyler's Mom

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Just in case you ever need these

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Gourmet Beef Feast in Gravy 20% High Carbs
    Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Gourmet Chicken Feast in Gravy. 15% Med Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Turkey Feast in Gravy. 15% Med Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Chicken and Beef Feast in Gravy 15% Med Carbs

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

8. Mags920

Mags920 Member

I'm finding when he doesn't eat much his BG goes up. I will be testing in about 20 minutes before I call it a night & will post then.
    I did read that.

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

You can always check in the Supply Closet for Lantus, go to forums and look for The Supply Closet, a lot of times members are selling the solostar lantus pens at very reasonable prices because their kitties have passed.
    I have bought them there many times
    Just ask them what the expiration dates are

Mags920 likes this.
  10. Mags920

Mags920 Member

That's what I did with Houston's Lantus after he crossed the rainbow bridge. I do have everything else I used for him, meter etc.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.