new diagnosis dosing help

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by ElizabethAmo, Oct 9, 2020.

1. ElizabethAmo

ElizabethAmo New Member

Hi - new diagnosis dosing help/suggestions? Due to relatively low BS frequently only been able to dose once daily with PZI, than having rebound highs. Cut dose back in order to try to split it but still having to skip some doses. Vet had start 2U BID, 18# cat BS 390 @ diagnosis/ immediately switched to low carb all canned diet from dry W/D, tried diet change alone for about 10 days but BS still high.

2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Hi there! Amo's spreadsheet at the bottom only links to the spreadsheet instructions page - do you have Amo's spreadsheet set up somewhere? I'd be happy to take a look and help you out with dosing. :)

3. ElizabethAmo

ElizabethAmo New Member

oops pasted wrong link should be good now sorry about that

Panic likes this.
  4. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome, Elizabeth.

Does Amo have any underlying conditions? Any steroids in the picture?

Panic likes this.
  5. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Easy fix! Thank you!

Okay hmmm. Seeing a lot of different doses here but I'm thinking we should start small. You have a lot of blues already which is excellent, so that's why I'm thinking let's start low and move up. Amo doesn't look like he (she?) needs a lot of insulin to stay lower which is GREAT. Here's what I'm thinking:

Switch dose to 0.25 units. No insulin if BG is below 150. Let's hold that dose for 3 or so days and see how Amo does. If Amo drops below 90 at all, please post and let me know. Drop the dose to 0.10 units next time he is over 150. Do not increase the dose if the pre-shot is high.

How is your work/life schedule? Can you get tests each cycle (AM and PM) two hours after insulin? If you CAN, ideally I would like it if you could test alternate times on different days, such as +2, +4, +6 one day, and +3, +5, +7 the next. General guideline, wouldn't have to be perfect. And maybe a +2 and "before bed" test every night. This will let us see the pattern and determine how low 0.25u takes Amo, then we can adjust accordingly. It is better to lower the dose and shoot twice a day than a higher dose once a day. :)

Could you humor me tonight and maybe get a test in a few hours-ish, or a before bed test? I'd like to see if there's any pancreatic activity (such as BG dropping on its own without insulin).

Which LC food are you using? Do you have some gravy food and karo syrup on-hand to prevent hypos?

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  6. ElizabethAmo

ElizabethAmo New Member

Thanks for your response. BTW Amo is a 15 yo cat, he is a little overweight, no chronic conditions and no steroid use.

Yes lots of different doses as I started at 2U and that quickly led to a hypo (I have everything I need on hand for this possibility thanks for the heads up).

I'm learning the response and intricacies with PZI (I was trying to treat it like a sliding scale type with my dose movement clearly that doesn't work). I do work but I have a couple days off so I can add some more of those numbers in for you--off today so I'll add some numbers today. Today AMPS was 134 so I'm not giving any insulin, and just to confirm your talking all human meter numbers I'm using Relion? I have alpha track b/c vet said really more comfortable with that but frankly the test strip cost is obscene (I work in human medicine so I have a comparison) I have occasionally checked with both to get a calibration/compare numbers (some of the time I put this in the notes).

If I get numbers above 150 I'll try the 0.25U dose, he hasn't required any insulin since am of 10/8 and all numbers were 150 or lower. I'm using fancy feast chicken pate -classics chart says ~2% carb feeding twice a day with insulin. Also I think we caught his diagnosis relatively early and with some of his numbers I'm definitely think he has some pancreatic activity.

Thanks

Shelley & Jess likes this.
  7. ElizabethAmo

ElizabethAmo New Member

Nope see above reply thanks for any help!

8. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Yep, not many people around here use Alphatrak thanks to the outrageous price. This entire website is designed with human meter numbers in mind, unless otherwise stated it's for Alphatrak. Alphatrak runs higher than human meters, but the lower the number the closer the comparisons will be, the higher the number the farther apart. Doesn't really matter though because too high is too high!

Since he's doing so well as of late you may even consider doing 0.10 units when he's over 150 instead of 0.25 ... might be too much for him considering. :p