New dosing advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Marinachi, Apr 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marinachi

Marinachi Member

Hello! On March 29th I took Nacho to the vet for a urine test since he had a spike in glucose. (I posted the lab results)- everything else looked good. I was told to hold off on insulin and not to shoot if under 15mmol- the Vet believed he might have been getting too much insulin when his body didn't need it, also to prevent any hypoglycemic episodes while I was at work or sleeping during the night- therefore not to shoot under 15mmol. We both believe Nacho could have been stressed out with all the poking and shooting since he was running away from me almost at every AM/PMPS.

I followed her advice and his numbers were good! But now the past few days, they've risen up a bit again. I really want him in remission (I think she would consider it remission with his numbers) but I'm not quite sure. What would you suggest? Thanks!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I don't think he's in remission. Those I've seen who is, is all green, below 5.5. On rare occasions blue, but still below 11.1

Marinachi likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

No your kitty is not ready to go off insulin
    You need to gradually reduce the dose from 0.5, 0.25, 0.1, a drop.
    This gives the pancreas time to heal properly.
    If you stop giving insulin too soon, you will not get a strong remission.

I would go back on to 0.5 or 0.25 units and try and shoot each cycle. I will tag @JanetNJ and @Deb & Wink to help you with the dosing.
    Post each day for guidance.

Marinachi likes this.
  4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I know some people and other feline diabetes groups like to use test strips in the Alphatrak that are not made for that meter. We do not recommend you do that.

5. Marinachi

Marinachi Member

Thanks. I have been using Alphatrak since I don't trust any other strips

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that. Your SS does indicate that you used other test strips before, like on 4/1, 4/2, 4/4.

If Nacho doesn't like to sit still for the tests, some sort of "bribe" or treat can help. Many people use plain cooked chicken. Treat can be something other than food also. Petting, brushing, something else Nacho loves.

p.s. I'd suggest insulin for a bit longer. We don't consider cats in diet controlled remission if their BG levels are much above 100 mg/dL (5.5 mol/L).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Reason for edit: p.s. added
    Marinachi and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

ON 4-3 to 4-8 you did not give insulin, In think it would be a good idea if you could fill in what the AMPS were and a few times during the night cycles :cat:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Marinachi

Marinachi Member

I was at work during those times and my partner couldn't do it. So i took the numbers when I got home :( I will try during the night cycles

Diane Tyler's Mom and Deb & Wink like this.
  9. Marinachi

Marinachi Member

yeah there was a delay in the post office :(

Deb & Wink likes this.
  10. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree that Nacho isn't quite ready to go off insulin yet. The .25 dose of Caninsulin would be what I'd suggest trying too.

If you can't get mid-cycle tests during the week due to work, please try to get at least 1 test sometime after the PMPS and on days off do a curve (test every 2 hours for 12 hours or every 3 hours for 18 hours)

The problem with Caninsulin is that it's more harsh than other insulin's which makes it harder to safely shoot lower numbers. We don't recommend shooting PS's under 225 (on AlphaTrak) until you have enough data and experience to start shooting lower numbers (and are able to test as much as necessary)

Are you in Canada Mari?

Deb & Wink and Marinachi like this.
  11. Marinachi

Marinachi Member

Yes I am in Canada. I will test a couple of times today before I go to sleep :)

Deb & Wink likes this.
  12. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you know you can get Lantus or Basaglar without a script in Canada?

They are much better insulin's for cats. They are gentler and last longer. With Nacho's numbers, I'd really suggest trying a better insulin that's safer to give at lower numbers. It would drastically increase his chances at that 2nd remission!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.