New here! Hello from Vanessa & Tommy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Vannypack, Jan 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vannypack

Vannypack Member

Hi there. I'm Vanessa from Southern California. I have three cats - Tommy (Tabby) aged 12, Kitty (Calico) aged 13 and Fatso (she's a girl - all white - have a sense of humor and named her after Uncle Fatso from Casper) aged 15. Fatso was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and lost a bit of weight so her name is kind of ironic now. She's doing well though!
    Tommy, however, was diagnosed with diabetes in December. He went from about 15 pounds to 12 in just a few months. Worried, we took him to the vet and there he was diagnosed.
    He was on 1/2 unit of Vetsulin for a few weeks but since his levels didn't go down much, he's now on 1 unit twice a day. He is such a good boy about it, which makes the thought of testing him at home much easier. I am planning on buying a home meter for him soon; he goes back to the vet next week to check his fructosamine, and we will go from there.
    The vet suggested Hill's prescription food m/d, and he's mostly eating the canned food. But from what I read around here and catinfo, it seems like it is just expensive and I could be giving him something else. I am looking into that.
    It is so nice to have found this community and I am looking forward to being active on here.
    p.s. tommy is on instagram @tommyisthecat :)

Attached Files:

Kris & Teasel and JanetNJ like this.
  2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Vanessa and your gang. Welcome to FDMB. I am guessing that is Tommy's picture attached to your post. He looks just like my cat Cracker.

FD can be scary and overwhelming at first. But it is something that is manageable. I am glad you are considering hometesting. That is the best way to manage your cat's glucose levels.

Post any questions you have on the Health board. That one is the one that is most monitored and someone is usually around to help you.

3. Vannypack

Vannypack Member

Yes, that's him. Thank you for your response, and I will definitely be checking out the health board.

4. Pati

Pati Member

Hi Vanessa. Welcome!

5. Vannypack

Vannypack Member

Thank you!

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome!! He's so cute! Love tabby cats. :) I am so happy to hear you plan to home test! We can definitely help you with that! Makes giving dosing advice possible!

Vannypack likes this.
  7. Vannypack

Vannypack Member

Thank you so much! I'm so happy I've found this place. Now I'm actually excited to home test him lol :p

JanetNJ likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

I enjoy home testing. It was a game, a puzzle... When I was figuring out the right dose and predicting the outcome. Ok the first week of it sucked because I had a hard time getting a sample, so that was stressful... But once her ears got used to it it was much easier. And I love knowing that I'm doing everything I can to keep her safe.

Vannypack and Pati like this.
  9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and your cute tabby boy! Things will go well for you because you're keen on getting the testing under way. :)

Vannypack likes this.
  10. Pati

Pati Member

I enjoy it now too as does Morris. And to think in the beginning we had to use two of us and wrap him in a towel. He's come a long way in a pretty short time. :)

Vannypack likes this.
  11. JanetNJ

For several days after my cat was officially in remission I had to convince CC it was OK that she start eating without a test. I would put her food in front of her and she would lay down like ok, test time. I'd have to touch her ears and pretend to test before she would eat. Sometimes that didn't fool her and I'd have to actually do a test. Haha

12. Pati

Pati Member

Too funny! :)

13. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome you and your kitties :cat:

Vannypack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.