? New in the group and need help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Emilie9185, Feb 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emilie9185

Emilie9185 New Member

Good evening everyone,

I just registered on this forum because I need help for my cat. He has been diabetic for 2 years. And thanks to the facebook group "croquette alert ...", I now know that the croquettes, which I buy from the veterinarian, are not good. I'm going to do my cat's blood sugar charts at home. I bought a blood glucose meter. I also want to switch from croquettes to mash. Do I have to go through a transition phase or not? Knowing that his croquettes are currently rich in carbohydrates and that the pâté that I understand will have no carbohydrates at all.

His current kibbles are the GASTRO INTESTINAL from Royale Canin (veterinary kibbles).
    The pâté I want to give it will be APPLAWS pâté.

My cat has very unstable diabetes. He was losing weight from day to day. Please help me. I do not know what to do...:(:(

I thank you in advance.

Emilie

2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

If you switch foods, it’s typically advised to do so slowly, both to prevent stomach upset and also to be sure your cat’s blood sugar doesn’t go too low. Switching from high carb kibble to low carb wet food can cause lower blood glucose, so you should definitely wait until you are able to home test to switch. My cat also had uncontrolled diabetes and it felt like a roller coaster, but home testing helped SO much and I was finally able to get her regulated.

If you have any questions or need any advice please don’t hesitate to ask! :bighug:

Ann & Scatcats likes this.
  3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hi Emilie and welcome to the Feline Diabetes Message Board. Would you please introduce your cat to us?

First off, take a deep breath, hold, release, deep breath, hold, release. Mindfulness breathing to help you relax and clear your mind can be very helpful.

We'll help you all we can.
    We'll need to ask you a lot of question,so please bear with us.
    1. Where do you live? Country?
    2. What insulins have you used for your cat? More than one type of insulin? Some people start with one insulin and then change to another kind.
    3. What dose of insulin are you currently giving your cat?
    4. What is your male cats name? and his age?
    5. What meter did you buy? one of the pet meters, or a human type glucometer?
    6. We call the "croquettes" dry food where I live.
    7. Was that the facebook group where Chris and Karen are the moderators/admins?
    8. Or was that Steph and Quintus's French facebook group?
    9. Or a different group?
    10. Any other medical conditions for your cat? IBD/IBS, kidney issues, etc. Anything else we should know about your cat?
    11. Part of this questions is looking for the reason your cat was on the Royal Canin Gastrointestinal food. Why was that?

4. Deb & Wink

Yes, transition phase with food is needed.
    No transition until you are home testing the BG (blood glucose) levels.
    Food transition can cause a 100 mg/dL drop in BG levels.
    Let's keep your cat safe.

What signs of feline diabetes does you cat still have?

(I'm guessing you live in french speaking Canada or in a French speaking european country)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Also you need to test before every shot especially when you start changing your cat's diet. The order is test, feed, then shoot. The diet change can significantly lower your cat's glucose levels. This is why you need to test before every shot. Once we know your insulin, dose and meter, we can give you a "don't shoot" number to use. This means if the reading is below this number you will need to skip or delay giving insulin. This will prevent you from giving insulin when it's not needed and putting your cat at risk for hypoglycemia.

When you begin home testing and know how well your insulin is working, you may need to make adjustments on the dose or insulin to see improvement in your cat's diabetes. Don't worry we can help you learn all of this.

Ann & Scatcats likes this.
  6. Emilie9185

Emilie9185 New Member

Bonjour et merci pour vos réponses rapides. Je me ferai un plaisir de répondre à vos questions.

1 ° / En effet, je suis français.
    2 ° / J'ai utilisé Caninsulin au début mais nous sommes rapidement passés à LEVEMIR.
    3 ° / J'administre 3 ml le matin et 3 ml le soir.
    4 ° / Mon chat s'appelle Shiloh. C'est un homme de 10 ans.
    5 ° / J'ai acheté ONE TOUCH SELECT PLUS pour l'homme.
    6,7,8,9 ° / C'est le groupe Gilles VOUILLON en France (Alertes Croquettes Toxiques, 95000 membres...et plus)
    10 ° / Mon chat a également eu des problèmes rénaux.
    11 ° / Il mange de la nourriture gastro-intestinale puisqu'il est diabétique. Avant de manger des calories urinaires modérées à cause de ses reins. Il mangeait toujours de la nourriture vétérinaire. Je pensais que cette nourriture était bonne.

En effet je vais changer sa nourriture et je vais la tester en même temps.

Je souhaite passer à la nourriture humide complète APPLAWS.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  7. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Je suis Ann en la Suede. Bonjour Shiloh!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Deb & Wink

Emilie and her cat Shiloh are from France.
    Her 10 year old male cat Shiloh uses levemir insulin but used to be given Caninsulin.
    Her cat has renal disease also.
    She was feeding her cat the Royal Canin Gastrointestinal food.
    She thought that was a good food for a diabetic cat.
    She read about dry food not being good for cats or dogs from a website run by someone on the internet called Gilles Vouillon.
    She wants to change the food for her cat to Applaws.
    She uses a human glucometer, the One Touch Select Plus.
    Shiloh gets Levemir insulin 2 times a day, 3 ml (3 cc, 3 units) each time.

I'm not familiar with the Applaws cat foods, so do not know if they are good for a diabetic cat. This facebook group I have mentioned below has many European and French members. They should know some good foods to feed your diabetic cat Shiloh.

Do you use Facebook?

Emilie, there is a French language diabetes specific Facebook group for those that are more familiar with reading and writing in French. The group is a closed group and you have to ask to join the group. I know one of the Administrators of that group. This is the website link to that group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/chatdiabetique

It may take a few days for them to respond to your request to join the group. The person who administers the group is away right now. I'm waiting myself to join the group. The cat on the header page in Facebook is Steph's 19 year old cat Quintus. He is the 'spokes cat' for the group. He also has kidney disease.

You are always welcome to remain here on the Feline Diabetes Message Board (FDMB) but you may feel better able to communicate with people that speak and write French fluently. It's a knowledgeable and very good group of people in that Facebook group and you will be welcomed warmly in that group.

When you join the French group, tell them you found out about their group from Deb & Wink over on the FDMB. Stephanie will know who you mean.

I do not understand French very well, so I use google translate to help me understand. There are a few members that understand French fluently. Unfortunately they are away on vacation right now or have not posted here on the FDMB in months. I will alert them to your presence. @kimouette @Marje and Gracie

Are there any other questions you have?

9. Deb & Wink

Bonjour Emilie. Bonjour chat Shiloh.

How are you doing today?
    Comment ça va aujourd'hui?

10. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

@Emilie9185

We are a few Continental Europeans here, I am Ann from Nordic Sweden, and besides me we are also one from Nordic Norway, one from Holland, one from Germany, one from Italy.

Since we need to study four languages in the Swedish school when I grew up, besides English, I've studied French, Spanish and German, but are better in reading French than writing. Your English is perfect however. And we are here to help.

Have you started hometesting and switched the food yet?

11. Deb & Wink

She is now a member of the French facebook group. Joined on Friday, 2/7/20.
    Managing feline diabetes is difficult enough when there is NOT a language barrier.
    There are some good people over there, mostly French speakers/ with a few anglophones.
    Emilie is getting her "feet wet", reading other posts there, being welcomed to the group, reading through the files and learning how the group works.
    I hope she learns a lot there and her cat Shiloh gets better and better.
    I was accepted as a member myself. See myself more as "sitting on the sidelines" and not so much as an active participant. Need to translate every post there, since my French is weak to non-existent. Although, context helps me understand some.

They have the same sort of issues we have here. One of the first posts I read was from a woman complaining about how her cat sitter (neighbor) did not do the job and left the litter boxes unemptied and her apartment was a shambles. I would have been furious too.

Emilie. Wishing all the best to you and your cat Shiloh. Please reach out to us if you have any questions.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.