New job! Schedule questions

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Caitlin M, Mar 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Looking at the spreadsheet, I would even say +4 or +5 so it's there if he drops before the nadir. On 3/13 and 3/28 his nadir looked like it was about +4 and +5. If it's not available until +8.5, he could be hypo for a long time with no way to help himself.

2. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Thanks! I went with this one
    Automatic Pet Feeder WOpet Dog Cat Feeder Bowl with Ice Pack 1-Meal Multicolor Arbitrary Combination https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX6J8FV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_RkS5yb9882Z96

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  3. Caitlin M

Well he's been fed at the 8.5 all week so starting tomorrow I'll do the 6.5 and go from there. I can test this weekend and see where numbers are from that time.

4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

oOoO that's the one I'm looking at :D. Let me know how it works for you!

5. Caitlin M

So funny! I definitely will

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think food around nadir is good. Starting at +6.5 is fine and then maybe on the weekend you can try going earlier if you need to when you can be home to see how it affects him. :)

7. Caitlin M

Well, his AMPS today was 178, PMPS 174. Gave 1.6 both shots. I'm trying not to do a happy dance so he doesn't know but I'm very pleased with all of this. Decided to do 150 as my no shoot. I'll adjust as necessary. I think he may have gained a bit of weight also, so I'll have to weigh him this weekend. Also! I only used it today so far, but the feeder I bought seemed to be good?! Lol I'll monitor both days this weekend to see what they do when it opens and make sure he's eating.

Rachel and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Looking really good! :smuggrin:

9. Caitlin M

AMPS was 216- gave 1.6 but might do 1.8 tomorrow if around the same number. Did a +6.5 and got an 80. The feeder opened after so he and his brother ate. Just wanted to update!

10. Caitlin M

His PMPS was just 98! I actually tested twice, once on each ear with the exact number. I am obviously stalling for 20 minutes but what is the likelihood of him rising to higher than 150 so I can safely shoot?! I know I can stall up to an hour...

11. Djamila

I'm thinking that Pita may be about ready to start sliding down the dosing scale. is there a day soon when you could get a full curve?

If I was a betting girl, I'd bet that there's very little chance you're going to get a shootable number. But it's not impossible.

12. Caitlin M

I'm like happy, cuz I think it's a good thing, but stumped also! I can actually do a full curve tomorrow. So, theoretically, if he does get above the 150 in the next hour, should I only give 1.4, 1.2, 1 unit...?

13. Djamila

I would love if someone else would weigh in on this....but I'll share my theory. Just promise you'll take it with a giant grain of salt?

I'm wondering if Pita's numbers are as high as they are because he's getting too much insulin right now. I know his numbers are low, but I wonder if they would be even lower on a smaller dose. There isn't enough data to know, but I'm suspicious that he may have been having some hypos that were undetected because 1) his nadir isn't exactly clear - some days it looks early, some days it looks late and 2) work. The unclear nadir means that we can't really be sure the full story during a cycle. So here are some things that stand out to me:

On 3/26, his lower number was at +7, but we don't have other numbers to show if he went even lower during that cycle. And the PM cycle that night was high.

The red on 4/1 and 4/2 I would think is most likely a hypo response - again, we don't have the data to know, it's just a guess.

PM 4/4 he dropped more than 50% by +3 with a lot of hours left to go before nadir and not a lot of room to go.

AM 4/5 he dropped sixty points in two hours - when the food should have been propping him up. I would bet he went low that cycle. Not necessarily hypo, but it's a big drop with a lot of hours left to go.

So all that to say, if you get a shootable number tonight, I would only give 1u. And maybe consider lowering the regular dose as well to see what happens. But again -- I'm making a lot of guesses without a lot of data to back it up - so I could totally be wrong about all of this.

14. Caitlin M

+20 minutes was only at 99. I'm thinking there's no way he's gonna get above 150 in the next 40 minutes. Should I just feed and no shoot tonight?

15. Caitlin M

Djamila I think we overlapped messages. I don't disagree at all! I'll definitely do a full curve tomorrow. If he ever went hypo wouldn't he have/had major issues? I know ECID.

16. Djamila

Not necessarily. Some cats can handle it better than others. Especially when they're young and healthy. Plus the 50 rule is to catch them before it's deadly. They can go quite a bit lower before they have a seizure or go blind. It's just not something you want to mess with which is why we all go nuts with anything near a 50.

Caitlin M likes this.
  17. Djamila

Oh, and yes, I would just feed him.

Caitlin M likes this.
  18. Djamila

You might grab a test before bed tonight and see where he's at tonight without insulin. Maybe a +4 (or later) if you can. That might help figure out what's going on a little better.

19. Caitlin M

Thank you thank you! I know you wanted others input but I appreciate your help! I just fed him and he's very happy. NS tonight. I'm unfortunately leaving in about an hour but will test once more when I get home and before bed.
    Here's my plan of attack for tomorrow. If his AMPS is above 150 but below 250, I'll give 1.2 or 1.4 (thoughts on which?) Again, I'll do a full curve every 2 hours even though he's on an 13/11 schedule.
    Does the fact that I'm now decreasing his dose mean anything?

20. Djamila

Since you're monitoring, I would go ahead and go with 1.4 (although if someone else weighs in on this, go with their suggestion!)

And yes, lowering the dose means something. But we don't talk about it because we don't want to jinx it. ;)

Caitlin M likes this.
  21. Caitlin M

Ok, l have to see what the AMPS brings. And tonight Im very interested to see how high he goes without a dose.
    Lmao, that's what I thought...Wait, what did I even ask...??

Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  22. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Whoops! Sorry that I wasn't around...I was cleaning litter boxes (I'm sure you all can sympathize with that fun time!) :rolleyes:

But hey in good news I didn't NEED to be here! Djamila was taking care of business and Caitlin, your instincts are great too!

So from what I see he didn't move at all from nadir! It's possible he is hitting some hypos. Djamila gave great reasons behind that and I'll add one more...some kitties actually end up needing way less insulin and even go OTJ (anti jinx) when they've had a hypo. I'm not sure why, but we've seen it happen..a cat has a hypo, then a few days later, they're on the trial!

NOT saying it's a definite. Also not saying that you should be too worried. I think a curve tomorrow will be lovely and help us see what's going on.

Yong & Maury GA and Caitlin M like this.
  23. Djamila

I wonder if the hypo is the indication that they're ready to go OTJ...or if there is something about the hypo that jump starts the pancreas. That's a very curious observation!

And now I'm off to clean litter boxes too. How's that for a fun way to spend a Saturday evening! Have to clean the house before the pet sitter starts coming by....

Caitlin M likes this.
  24. Yong & Maury GA

I'd love that possibility! (antijinx). Not home to update SS but Maury was NS tonight too!

Caitlin M, Rachel and Djamila like this.
  25. Caitlin M

AMPS was 160 -HA! Love how I said 'if he's above 150 but below 250 I'll give 1.2 or 1.4'! I'm gonna give 1.4 considering where he was last night and now this number. Hopefully that's not a mistake. Figure I gave 1.6 on 4/7 with a 174. Plus, I'm doing a curve so (god forbid) I'm here if he goes too low. Fingers crossed everyone! Also only got 3.5 hours of sleep before his AMPS, so it's a perfect day to keep waking up every 2 hours :coffee::woot:

26. Caitlin M

+2 is 133

27. Kris & Teasel

Nice!

Caitlin M likes this.
  28. Djamila

Did you get a mid-cycle test last night? I'm curious how the curve goes today, but so so sorry to hear you're having to wake up periodically while trying to catch up on sleep. That's really tough :oops: Hang in there!

Caitlin M likes this.
  29. Caitlin M

I didn't get home until 1 (+7) so I didn't. Figured I'd be doing so many today. That's ok, it was a friend's birthday so I enjoyed it at least! I don't go out very much

Rachel, Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  30. Caitlin M

His +4 was just a 67. I was planning to do the +6 next, but should I do a +5 instead? Then do +7, +9, +11, PMPS?

31. Djamila

I vote yes on the +5, but I know you're trying to sleep, so do what you need to do. Plus, you're probably asleep right now and won't see this until you wake up. :D

32. Caitlin M

No I'm awake now! I'll just try to go to bed early, plus tomorrow is the first day of my new job. Yeah, I figured I'd switch the hours, so I'll do a +5 soon and see what I get to determine the rest of the hours.

33. Caitlin M

+5 was 62. Should I wait to do a +7 or maybe go to a +6.5? I don't want him to start getting mad at all the poking so I'd like to be cautious.

34. Djamila

I usually stop curving when I get to the rising numbers. So I think I would go with a +6 or +6.5, and then if he's on his way up, you could maybe just grab a +9 and be done. If he's not rising by the +6ish test, then I would do a +7. I think you just have to see where he's at for the next test. I would count it as rising if he's more than the margin-of-error amount above where he is now. Below the margin-of-error amount, I would keep testing.

Caitlin M likes this.
  35. Djamila

Sam and Pita seem to be imitating each other a bit right now. But you're a couple of hours ahead of our schedule. Looking at your curve, I think I better monitor him today ;)

Caitlin M likes this.
  36. Yong & Maury GA

Might be late but did he get his lunch /snack yet?

37. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wow Pita! Nice job!

I'm loving seeing this action Caitlin...he's looking great!

38. Caitlin M

Not yet, the feeder should be opening around the same time as his +6.5 (like 15 mins). I'm going to just leave it though and see what the cats do, since I wouldn't be here during the week.
    Thank youuu!!

39. Caitlin M

Wow, they really are huh?! Sam looks great!

Djamila likes this.
  40. Yong & Maury GA

That's what I was thinking, just not 100% here o_O. Might help you decide if you want to it to open a little earlier to help him surf.

41. Caitlin M

Very true!

42. Caitlin M

+6.5 was 86. Feeder is open, neither have seen it yet. They sleep on the bed most of the day so I'm willing to bet that even when I'm gone, it takes them a while to see it. Based on these #'s though, Yong is right and I may have it open earlier so it's there for what seems to be lower times. Based on this 86, I may just do a +8.5 and see what that is, since it seems to be going up now.

43. Djamila

Post #101...just sayin' ;):smuggrin:

Those are some really nice numbers today. Now I'm really curious what you get for your PMPS. Looks like that dose reduction was just about perfect. Good call this morning!

44. Caitlin M

Haha does that mean I need a new post? Thank you!

45. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

At least if you have it open and Pita goes low, he may get up on his own to go find food. If he ignores it...he probably feels okay. :)

Caitlin M likes this.
  46. Yong & Maury GA

Next to the Like and Reply, each post is numbered. :).

47. Caitlin M

I know, I meant is that when people usually start a new post!?

48. Yong & Maury GA

Oh no, I think Djamil was just referring you back to her post #101 in relation to the feeder time :)

49. Caitlin M

Ooooh. Haha gotcha

50. Djamila

Yes, sorry. I was just being a brat (and now i'm a little ashamed of myself :oops:)

51. Caitlin M

Haha don't be! Sometimes things go over my head. I'm also blonde... :smuggrin:

52. Caitlin M

His 8.5 was at 130 so I'm not going to test again until PMPS. Thanks all!

Djamila likes this.
  53. Djamila

What a lovely cycle! Nice work today!!!

54. Caitlin M

Thanks! Although I'm a little worried about how much higher he'll go the next 4.5 hours :nailbiting:

55. Yong & Maury GA

Maybe he'll be nice and give a 199 at highest, so it's still blue! lol :D

Caitlin M and Djamila like this.
  56. Kris & Teasel

Lovely numbers, Caitlin! :)

Caitlin M likes this.
  57. Djamila

Isn't it funny how those colors impact our thinking? I mean, there's no difference between 199 and 201, but it sure feels different when you look at the SS.

58. Caitlin M

This is definitely a silly question. Does laying in the sun raise their BG?

59. Djamila

I have no scientific idea....but I would think it would lower it if anything -- because they happier we are, the healthier we are.

Caitlin M likes this.
  60. Caitlin M

Well he is smiling and kissing me up a storm! So he's very very happy.

Djamila likes this.
  61. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Aw what a great cycle!

62. Yong & Maury GA

Actually, someone said it did effect their cats BG! One moment :bookworm:

MrPou :)

63. Caitlin M

155 PMPS. Going to shoot another 1.4 :) unless people think less? I figured since I did 1.4 this am on a 160, this was pretty much the same. However, he'll only have 11 hours til am dose. So maybe 1.2?.....

64. Djamila

Hmmm....I might go with 1.2, but I tend to error on the low side, and sometimes be a bit too optimistic. Go with your gut. Or look at Pita and ask him which dose he would like? (if only it was that easy....)

Caitlin M likes this.
  65. Caitlin M

I think due to the 11 hours I'm gonna do 1.2! Thanks

66. Djamila

Or do what I always do when I can't decide and go right in the middle...1.3!

67. Caitlin M

Hahaha I did the 1.2. we shall see what tomorrow am brings!

Djamila likes this.
  68. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Tomorrow is the first day of the new job right?

69. Caitlin M

Yes!

Djamila likes this.
  70. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Awesome! Good luck! We'll be eagerly waiting to hear how it goes!

Caitlin M likes this.
  71. Kris & Teasel

Good luck tomorrow!

Caitlin M likes this.
  72. Yong & Maury GA

Good luck, Caitlin! :cat:

Caitlin M likes this.
  73. Caitlin M

Thank you everyone!!

74. Djamila

Have a great day tomorrow! Can't wait to hear about it!

75. Caitlin M

2 more hours at work! AMPS was 177 so I gave 1.6 and set the feeder for a bit earlier also. Will see what 6pm brings!

76. Caitlin M

PMPS was 159. Gonna do another 1.2 for tonight. Also, @Yong the feeder is working great so far!

Yong & Maury GA and Rachel like this.
  77. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

How was the job??

78. Caitlin M

Good! Should be pretty easy but enjoyable.

79. Caitlin M

265 AMPS- good, but strange to see! He was super hyper and trying to wake me up, so I wonder if it raised? Maybe 1.2 wasn't enough last night. Gonna stick with 1.6 this am, instead of a 1.8, might help him not bounce? :confused::rolleyes:

80. Kris & Teasel

Every dose is an experiment! :blackeye:;)

81. Caitlin M

PMPS is 146. Stalling 20 minutes to see what I get. If I reach the 150 should I do 1.2 or just 1? When I had 155 I gave 1.2.....

82. Yong & Maury GA

You'll be able to monitor for a bit tonight? Will check right back; have to do Maury's :cat:

83. Caitlin M

Yes I will, I can leave a bit later tomorrow so I can stay up/wake up more.

84. Yong & Maury GA

Did Pita contact Maury? :p

85. Caitlin M

Now he's at 144. Really not sure if I should No Shoot or go down to 1 unit.

86. Caitlin M

I'm going to feed but still not decided on after. Help please?!

87. Yong & Maury GA

I think you're OK with 1.0U since you will be able to monitor :). Playing stall game with Maury :p

88. Caitlin M

Thanks Yong. I'll do that and set some alarms now. ::Sigh:: :smuggrin:

89. Kris & Teasel

So did you feed and then give the 1 u? When I had that happen to me with Teasel a few times I fed, waited 45 minutes or so, retested and then shot my regular dose. He should be OK with the lower dose. Maybe test at +2 to see what he's doing.

90. Caitlin M

Yes I fed and gave the 1 u. I've set an alarm for a +3 and +6! Thanks

91. Caitlin M

I'm slightly ashamed by how disappointed I am in today's numbers :oops::(

92. Kris & Teasel

Just bouncing. Not to worry - it'll pass. :)

93. Caitlin M

Any idea as to the why for this one?

94. Kris & Teasel

Hard to say. He might have had some green last night that you didn't catch. It's good to get a before bed test if you can to see if he's heading down.

95. Caitlin M

I'll do that tonight. It's okay even if it's only a +3?

96. Kris & Teasel

For sure! That's as late as I can manage most of the time.

Caitlin M likes this.
  97. Caitlin M

Thank you thank you!!

98. Yong & Maury GA

I usually only get between +3 and +4 too :)

Caitlin M likes this.
  99. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

+3 is a great number to get..it can usually indicate if the kitty is heading down quickly and give you some peace of mind. Plus it helps you figure out what's going on the next day! I usually couldn't get anything past a +3 either...we do need SOME sleep!

100. Caitlin M

Lol I'll let everyone know what I get from it! Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.