New Member and New Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gen and Nero, Apr 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gen and Nero

Gen and Nero New Member

Hey everyone,
    My oldest cat Nero who is almost 13 was just diagnosed on Thursday with diabetes. Right now he is on Novolin because of the cost with Lantus right now. I didn't find this website until last Thursday night. My plan is to order Lantus from the Canadian Pharmacy that is recommended when I get my paycheck on Friday. I have already given my vet a heads up that I will need a script when I go in Thursday to get Nero's glucose checked.

I am also self monitoring his glucose at home. I have created a home spreadsheet to write on. I haven't figured out how to do a spreadsheet yet on my signature.

Today is the first day that I have been home all day to test his glucose levels. I know that he will bounce right now while his body gets used to the insulin and the change in wet food. He is also used to being on a schedule. He used to just free eat. I am planning on getting the recommended auto feeder to help with transition. It just has been a little scary to see his numbers today so far.

He already has hyperthyroidism which we have been treating for 2 years with medication. When we found out he was diabetic, we also found out he has possible early kidney disease. Vet and myself included is hoping that his kidney levels are out of whack because his glucose was 870ish when it was found out that he was diabetic. He was dehydrated as well. He recieved subq fluids on Wednesday and then again on Thursday. We are using hydracare at home to help with the fluid issue and possibly going to subq fluids at home if that does not work.

He was fine this past Sunday and then Monday he wasn't. The struggle I am facing is that we had labs drawn last month and everything showed fine and plus with his age.

I just want to thank everyone for all the information on this website and message board. It has really helped me prepare for his diabetic journey.

AggyBear and JanetNJ like this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Gen and Nero and welcome.

If he was dehydrated, that would influence the results of the kidney. I would not worry too much yet, and get them retested a bit later when his hydration is better.

I’m glad you are going to be swapping over to Lantus. It is a far better insulin than Novolin which hits hard and fast and doesn’t last the 12 hours.
    What dose of Novolin are you giving.? The usual starting dose is around 1 unit.

Are you feeding Nero an hour before the insulin dose? He needs to have food aboard for when the insulin hits.
    Are you giving snacks during the cycle as well?
    Here is a link to the spreadsheet. If you have any trouble set to get it up I will ask @Bandit's Mom if she can help you. We can only he,l with dosing if you have a spreadsheet.
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-create-a-spreadsheet.241706/

Here is the information about Novolin
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/beginners-guide-to-humulin-n-novolin-n-nph.231593/

do you have a hypo kit set up.?
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

If you have any questions or are worried, post and ask for help.
    Bron

3. Gen and Nero

Gen and Nero New Member

Hi Bron,
    Thank you for the reply.
    I finally figured out how to do the spreadsheet, and now I have it linked on my signature. I looked at alot of people's how to posts.

He is currently on 2 units twice a day. I usually feed him first, wait 15 to 30 minutes to do a glucose reading, and then usually do his insulin dose 5 to 15 minutes later.

I was originally going to go with Lantus but it was $350 at the pharmacy which unfortunately I can't afford right now after vet visits this week. I feel so bad having to wait until Friday when I get paid to order it

Food wise we switched from Purina prime plus soft food and royal canin aging plus hard food to friskies pate. I usually do a can in the morning and a can at night. One can seems to last him 5 to 6 hours. I do have the petsafe auto feeder arriving Tuesday. With the auto feeder I plan on putting one and a half to two cans worth in it. I am still needing to find low carb treats for him. He also gets hydra care in the afternoon to help with his dehydration. He is currently 9.4lbs. If we can get him up to 10lbs we can do 2 packets of hydra care a day instead of just one.

For his hypo kit, we have a bottle of honey just for him. I am currently working on getting the soft food for it. I have instructions for hypo emergencies on the fridge and in his glucose tracking folder which I keep in his container with his medications. Edit: Our other cat is on prescription Royal Canin Fiber food. We have both soft and hard food. Looks like it is approx 33% carbs for the soft food. Would this be to high to use during a hypo event?

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome, you sound very organized for so early on in the diabetes journey. Well done!

For treats, and pure meat treat will do. Most pet stores have dehydrated meat treats, PureBites is just one such brand. If you buy the dog size, it's more cost effective. Or you can make your own by poaching or baking a chicken breast and cutting it into cubes. Provided he likes chicken of course.

One other thing, if you want to save money, at some point you may wish to switch to a human blood glucose meter. That's what most of us use because the test strips are so much cheaper, and easier to get if you run out. Plus our dosing methods are based on those values, as that's all that was around when the methods were developed. Tip - always have an extra container around just in case! It's a good item for the hypo kit.

5. Gen and Nero

Gen and Nero New Member

Hi Wendy,
    Thank you for replying and the cat treats suggestion! Nero loves, loves chicken. So I am sure he would very much enjoy some poached chicken and/or chicken treats.

Thank you! I have spent my days since Thursday night doing alot of research on how to manage his diabetes and trying to find a solution to the Lantus $350 cost. Our other cat Harley has seizures and severe constipation issues. So my boyfriend and I try our best to be prepared to handle their medical issues. I will admit I didn't realise how overwhelming all the diabetic cat information was going to be. I am so appreciative to all of you and this forum for having such amazing information. It has really helped me prepare and has helped me find a solution for the Lantus cost.

It has been so scary to see Nero over the past few days since he was diagnosed. As said above, I feel so bad for not being to afford Lantus right now for him. First thing I am doing Friday though is ordering it for him. My vet is supposed to give me a written script on Thursday when we go in for a glucose check.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would consider getting Senglee, it is a generic Lantus, and was approved by the FDA last June. The cost is compatible with Lantus from Canada.
    https://www.goodrx.com/semglee

7. Gen and Nero

Gen and Nero New Member

Hi Larry,
    Thank you for the suggestion!

8. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where you are located, but I was able to get a vial of Lantus from my local CVS (I'm in the New York City area) for $99. The pharmacist applied a coupon. A vial is good for 6 months. I have heard of people paying the same amount for a pack of pens without resorting to shipping from Canada. Depending on where you live, I would call around to various pharmacies like at Walmart, Costco, Target, and see what their prices are. I would never have been able to afford $350 for insulin, especially after all of the money I spent on my kitty's hospital bills when she was diagnosed. Good luck, you're doing great so far!

9. Gen and Nero

Gen and Nero New Member

Yeah with what we have spent to get his diagnosis and figure out what's wrong that's why I couldn't get the Lantus. I will definitely be calling around to our local pharmacies. We do have CVS where I live. Walmart was where we were going to go but it had the $350 price tag.

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  10. Gen and Nero

Gen and Nero New Member

I have to do an update because I am so happy!
    The local CVS accepted the manufacturers coupon!!! I'm so excited! He gets to start Lantus tonight!

I also texted my vet to let them know as well to help out any current and future diabetic pet owners.

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Glad they took the coupon for the Lantus, you will like lantus
    Down the road order it from Marks Marine in Canada
    5 solostar pens will last you probably over a year
    The expiration dates will probably be 2022 or 2023 just keep them in the fridge muddle shelf
    We use syringes when using the pens because the pens o my allow 1 unit increasesor decreases

We increase or decrease by 0.25 units
    Just insert the syringe in the rubber stopper on the pen and draw out the insulin
    Marks will get in touch with your vet to fax over a script , then if you ever have to
    reorder you don't need another script
    Can you please update your SS
    Good luck with the lantus
    When you do start the lantus make sure you make a note on your spreadsheet
    and your signature

Nero is such a cutie :cat:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  12. Diane Tyler's Mom

13. Diane Tyler's Mom

Most of us feed Fancy Feast Classic Pates, stay under 10% carbs
    These are either 2 or 3 percent carbs depending on the flavor
    I'll give you the food chart link
    You can also feed Friskies

For your hypo kit you should have medium and high carb food
    I'll post some for you

14. Diane Tyler's Mom

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

Also you need med and high carb food on hand in case he drops too low and you need to bring his BG up to safe numbers

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Gourmet Beef Feast in Gravy 20% High Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Gourmet Chicken Feast in Gravy. 15% Med Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Turkey Feast in Gravy. 15% Med Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Chicken and Beef Feast in Gravy 15% Med Carbs

Or any other ones listed in this food chart

16. Diane Tyler's Mom

Marks Marine I would get the 5 pack of the solostar pens

https://rxcanada4less.com

Lantus Solostar PEN CAN (temp. gauge. ice pack, express-air mail) *single pen open box* Brand 100iu/ml one pen 3 ml $49.99 USD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Lantus Cartridges 5x3ml per box (temp. gauge. ice pack, express-air mail) Brand 100u/ml 15 ml $159.99 USD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Lantus Solostar PENS 5x3ml per box (temp. gauge. ice pack, express-air mail) Brand 100u/ml 15 ml $164.99 USD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Lantus VIAL Insulin (10ml per vial) (temp. gauge. ice pack, express-air mail) Brand 100u/ml 10 ml $110.99 USD

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  17. Gen and Nero

Gen and Nero New Member

Thank you all!

So with Lantus I check glucose level before he eats correct?

18. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi yes, with any insulin you check their BG before they eat AMPS
    and PMPS.
    You withhold food 2 hours before testing them first thing in the morning
    when you take their BG and same goes for the PMPS

You can feed them small meals during each 12 hour cycle , you don't have to withhold food while testing them during each 12 hour cycle

When you start lantus you can post and ask what dose you should start with
    Something like
    Switching from Novolin to Lantus what dose should I start with

On your spreadsheet your last entry was on 4-10-21
    Can you please update it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.